German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because Maisey will eventually become a service dog, she doesn't spend a lot of time in her crate. My husband and I own a business, so she goes with us to the office and warehouses, which I understand will be good for people socialization and adjustment to strange and loud noises. Although I have a crate for her in both places, I haven't had a need to crate her at work yet and at home have only had to crate her at bedtime. Herein lies the problem: she cries terribly at night, and I feel horrible for putting her in "prison," even though I know that it's the right thing to do for her sake as well as the sanity of my cats.

She doesn't cry all night -- usually about 30 minutes until she falls asleep, but she sounds so very pitiful that I find myself crying and feeling mean. Any ideas on how long I can expect her to feel tortured by the crate and me to feel like a horrible person? :cry:

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I would give her really good treats or a chewy in her crate during the day. Does she go in of her own free will? You could leave the crate door open during the day with her bed in it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
For the first two weeks or so when kaiser was a pup he would whine and bark for about a half hour every night, sometimes more. I started using baby carrots ( his favorite treat), he would go in and know he was getting them, and eventually looked forward to going in. And for a long time i left a radio on low for him .

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would give her really good treats or a chewy in her crate during the day. Does she go in of her own free will? You could leave the crate door open during the day with her bed in it.
The crate door is not only open, but removed when we're around to keep an eye on Maisey. She goes in and out all the time, takes her toys inside, and even naps in it sometimes. The only problem is when the door is closed, the lights go out, and she can't see me any longer.

I've only had her since last Sunday, so we're on day 4, but she has most definitely pegged me as hers because when she naps, it is nearly always at my feet and she can't stand to lose sight of me. Could her crying at night in the crate be more an issue of separation anxiety?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For the first two weeks or so when kaiser was a pup he would whine and bark for about a half hour every night, sometimes more. I started using baby carrots ( his favorite treat), he would go in and know he was getting them, and eventually looked forward to going in. And for a long time i left a radio on low for him .
Dogs eat carrots?! :shocked: I had no clue! Ok, so now I have another treat to try with her. Thanks so much for the info!

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
So at bedtime the crate isn't in your bedroom, I've always had pups/dogs sleep in my bedroom.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So at bedtime the crate isn't in your bedroom, I've always had pups/dogs sleep in my bedroom.
Her crate isn't in my bedroom now because I have 5 cats that haven't quite figured out what she's all about yet. As a result, 3 of the 5 have been spending most of their in there and 1 doesn't come out of my closet until I go to bed at which time she assumes her usual position on my pillow beside my face. Until I can figure out how to convince Maisey that the cats really don't want to play with her and the cats that Maisey doesn't want to eat them, the crate has to be in another room.

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
Actually, having the crate in your room, and the dog confined, will help with the cats. It will allow them the opportunity to sniff her safely and get used to her. And it will allow the puppy to understand the sharing if space. Keeping them separate all the time will only build frustration.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually, having the crate in your room, and the dog confined, will help with the cats. It will allow them the opportunity to sniff her safely and get used to her. And it will allow the puppy to understand the sharing if space. Keeping them separate all the time will only build frustration.

Thanks for the advice! I'll try it tonight and see what happens. I have been so worried that the cats will feel both displaced and replaced that I wasn't sure what to do. Two of them were bottle fed by me from the time they were born (one's mother was feral and had her kittens in my backyard then was killed by a car just a few days later, and the other was found abandoned in a parking lot by a friend of mine), so they are quite attached. One of them is the one that doesn't leave my closet.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To follow up on Maisey, the cats, and the crate, here's what happened last night. I figured that if I wanted to get any sleep at all when I moved the crate to my bedroom, it would be best to show the cats that Maisey was confined and couldn't chase them around first. So, a couple of hours before bedtime, I put Maisey in the crate, in its original place, with a baby carrot (another piece of advice that I got here :) ). She loved the carrot, but seriously resented being inside the crate. Still I left her in it and convinced the cats to come out of my room by bribing them with their evening can of food. Even Wilbur, the most timid of the five, came out of hiding. When they realized that Maisey was in the crate and couldn't chase them around, they began to eat their dinner. This was too much for Maisey to deal with, and she started barking like mad which in turn freaked out 4 of the 5 cats. They went running back to the bedroom, and I waited for Maisey to calm and quiet down before letting her out of the crate.

Bedtime comes, I move the crate into my room and put it near the foot of the bed with the door facing the head of the bed so that Maisey can see me just in case she has separation anxiety. Hubby is already sawing logs with a chainsaw that loggers only dream of having, I climb into bed, the cats settle into their usual positions, and the fun begins. Maisey sees the cats, figures that I'm depriving her of some play time, and instead of the whining and crying that I've become used to at night, she starts barking. When the barking doesn't get the desired response, she moves to the crying and whining. The cats freak out because the stranger is now in their territory, hubby turns off the chainsaw and heads for the couch while muttering under his breath, and I am left sleepless in Orange County for the remainder of the night. :cry:

Now what do I do? :help:

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
It takes time. Don't get discouraged after one night. Give her a super special bone or kong filled with peanut butter before bedtime. Also tire her little butt out before bed, a good walk, playtime, training then bed.

You just gotta get through it. It sucks though. Hopefully you will get some sleep tonight.

It may also help to play with the cats for a bit before bed, play with them, then feed them then they should groom and go to bed. After they have eaten ( which should be done away from the dog so it does not become a negative), take your girl for a walk, then some play and training. Then to bed.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Give her a super special bone or kong filled with peanut butter before bedtime.

First carrots, now peanut butter? Honestly, I would have never guessed in a million years that a dog could eat either one! I am soooooo glad that I found this forum and thankful for everyone's willingness to teach the uninformed like me! So tonight we try peanut butter. . .

·
Registered
164 Posts
First carrots, now peanut butter? Honestly, I would have never guessed in a million years that a dog could eat either one! I am soooooo glad that I found this forum and thankful for everyone's willingness to teach the uninformed like me! So tonight we try peanut butter. . .
Dogs usually love peanut butter.

I have my crate in another room as well since both dogs stay in a certain part of the house. When Shadow was little she would cry at night as well but she settles down at night easily now with her Nylabone w/peanut butter smeared on it.

·
Super Moderator
32,367 Posts
Try covering the crate so she can't see the cats. I have plastic crates for my dogs, but when they were puppies I'd toss a towel across the front, to cover the door so they couldn't see out. I'd keep the puppy crate right next to the head of the bed, so I could reach down and let them sniff my fingers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts