German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

In preparation for my puppy coming home this weekend, I'm trying to cover all my last minute bases.

I am bringing home an 8 week old Czech WL puppy on Sunday, and am really really excited to have a new IPO prospect. I've been waiting for this for a long time.

The only thing I'm mildly concerned about is initial crate use. I live in an apartment, so the noise level makes me a little nervous. Does anyone have any experience with crate training puppies in apartments? I took work off the first two days of next week so that I could spend time bonding with him and trying to get him adjusted, and then I will be working a split shift when I return to work (a few hours at work in the morning, home for a few hours, and then a few hours at work in the afternoon).

I'm incredibly excited for this little man to be home, just trying to get all of my ducks in a row in terms of a game plan. I want to tackle crate anxiety/nuisance barking early and would greatly appreciate any advice/experience you guys have to offer!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hey there!

I am bringing home a Czech WL puppy in a few days, and am trying to cover all my last minute bases.

I'm incredibly excited to bring this little guy home (he's an IPO prospect), but the only thing I'm mildly concerned about is the amount of noise he'll initially be making in the crate. I live in an apartment, and want to be sure that I'm being respectful to my neighbors, especially at night.

Does anyone have any tips for crate training puppies in apartments? I understand that 8 week old puppies are going to be upset in the crate initially, but nuisance barking is something I want to address right away. I would definitely be interested to hear any management techniques that you can think of!

·
Super Moderator
7,201 Posts
I would contact the breeder and ask if they can at least start an intro now thru pick up. If I lived in an apartment this probably would have been considered when selecting my breeder as well as waiting to bring the pup home at 10-12 weeks.

Aside from that I would feed all meals in the crate, find some sort of white noise, and keep the crate in your room initially.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I have done this three times. Luckily two of them was no issue and no sound throughout the entire night. The third time was pretty horrendous and I warned my neighbors before hand. I will be bringing a puppy home in just a few weeks and my landlord lives above me right now, so I am a bit nervous about the crate training. I am very hopeful to be moving out of this apartment and into a house in the next few weeks though.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I have crate trained in an apartment. The first two nights my puppy cried for about 15-20 minutes, then he was quiet until he had to go to the bathroom, then he cried when he went back in for another few minutes. I warned my neighbors beforehand and had them meet the puppy. No one complained, and the puppy stopped whining in a few days. I don't think it will be a big deal for you.

Enjoy the new puppy!

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
I think I'd be inclined to approach the nearest neighbors pre-emptively. Kinda like people do on airplanes sometimes with kids? Here's some fancy ground coffee and by the way my puppy may be a bit noisy while he settles in but if you can possibly bear with me it will be short lived...?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would contact the breeder and ask if they can at least start an intro now thru pick up. If I lived in an apartment this probably would have been considered when selecting my breeder as well as waiting to bring the pup home at 10-12 weeks.

Aside from that I would feed all meals in the crate, find some sort of white noise, and keep the crate in your room initially.
I have a close relationship with the puppy's breeder, and she's fully aware of the concern. I am staying at their home for the weekend before I bring the puppy home with me and am planning on crating him there. The crate is in my bedroom and meals are being hand fed for training purposes, but if he does end up eating from a bowl it will be in the crate. I probably should have been more clear- I'm prepared for the fact that he's probably going to make noise. I was more looking for ways to stop it from continuing once it starts!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think I'd be inclined to approach the nearest neighbors pre-emptively. Kinda like people do on airplanes sometimes with kids? Here's some fancy ground coffee and by the way my puppy may be a bit noisy while he settles in but if you can possibly bear with me it will be short lived...?
I've totally considered this. I just couldn't decide if it would help or hurt us.....as in make them MORE aware of the fact that my puppy is screaming? Or less likely to call in a noise complaint when it happens?

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
I've totally considered this. I just couldn't decide if it would help or hurt us.....as in make them MORE aware of the fact that my puppy is screaming? Or less likely to call in a noise complaint when it happens?
I can see both sides of that. Do you have any relationship with these neighbors? Any kind of a feeling on what type of people they are? Because if they are reasonable people I feel like they would respond better if they knew this is a new puppy who just has to get through this and will then be a well behaved dog. Not just these people brought home a loud dog that is screaming and they aren't doing anything about it so they don't know there is an end in sight. It's a tough call

·
Super Moderator
7,201 Posts
I have a close relationship with the puppy's breeder, and she's fully aware of the concern. I am staying at their home for the weekend before I bring the puppy home with me and am planning on crating him there. The crate is in my bedroom and meals are being hand fed for training purposes, but if he does end up eating from a bowl it will be in the crate. I probably should have been more clear- I'm prepared for the fact that he's probably going to make noise. I was more looking for ways to stop it from continuing once it starts!
Oh.
If all his needs are met..... ignore him. It’s the loudest yet quickest way.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I agree with just ignoring it, not looking at, talking to, or letting the pup out of the crate until they calm down, and when i say calm down I mean completely calm, laying down, head on ground etc...

I have found if there are having a particularly hard time, let them calm down as best they can, take outside to pee, being very calm and quiet, no crazy puppy talk or major excitement. then bring in, do some calming exercises with him, then put him back in crate.
Most important thing for long term calm and quiet behaviour in crate is totally ignoring, and not putting the puppy in the crate when they are in an excited state.

Even though you are home for a few days, make sure to have lots of quiet crate time while you are home

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I agree with just ignoring it, not looking at, talking to, or letting the pup out of the crate until they calm down, and when i say calm down I mean completely calm, laying down, head on ground etc...

I have found if there are having a particularly hard time, let them calm down as best they can, take outside to pee, being very calm and quiet, no crazy puppy talk or major excitement. then bring in, do some calming exercises with him, then put him back in crate.
Most important thing for long term calm and quiet behaviour in crate is totally ignoring, and not putting the puppy in the crate when they are in an excited state.

Even though you are home for a few days, make sure to have lots of quiet crate time while you are home
I would understand ignoring the behavior in a normal situation (ie., a house), but the issue is that the "cry it out" method is probably going to get me a noise complaint. I'm taking time off work specifically to focus on crate training, and he will be spending all of his unsupervised time in his crate.

·
Registered
813 Posts
You have to ignore it. That’s the only way. I simply told my neighbors sorry in advance and they said they did not mind at all. We also find running the ac and tv at moderate volume drowns out the sound of the screaming lol

·
Super Moderator
7,201 Posts
Here’s the thing... each puppy is different, as you can see in the personal stories shared. There is no way for us to predict how much noise there will be until your pup is home, but there will be some. That part has to be expected. It’s how babies communicate. This is not specific to being in the crate.

Anything you do to discourage or pacify the pup - you’ll need to be prepared to do it forever (such as sleeping in your bed, although that won’t help during the day while you’re at work).

I’m suggesting that you have your breeder start, tonight, Wednesday, for the simple sake of having a baseline for your particular puppy - info we can’t provide. How long does he cry... does he cry or bark... what helps... what doesn’t... does he like frozen Kong’s.... will they keep his interest until he falls asleep, etc...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here’s the thing... each puppy is different, as you can see in the personal stories shared. There is no way for us to predict how much noise there will be until your pup is home, but there will be some. That part has to be expected. It’s how babies communicate. This is not specific to being in the crate.

Anything you do to discourage or pacify the pup - you’ll need to be prepared to do it forever (such as sleeping in your bed, although that won’t help during the day while you’re at work).

I’m suggesting that you have your breeder start, tonight, Wednesday, for the simple sake of having a baseline for your particular puppy - info we can’t provide. How long does he cry... does he cry or bark... what helps... what doesn’t... does he like frozen Kong’s.... will they keep his interest until he falls asleep, etc...
I get that! I have a 2 year-old GSD who I have had since 8 weeks of age. The only difference was, we had a house when she was a puppy, and we live in an apartment now. I'm absolutely expecting there to be noise- that was the reason I posted in the first place. I'm not looking for a noise prediction or a "correction" to the behavior, I'm just looking for ways to mask the volume level a little. A frozen kong is a good idea.

·
Super Moderator
7,201 Posts
I’m just responding to what’s written...sorry I don’t have an all encompassing magic solution.

Looking for :

“Any advice / experience”

“Management techniques”

“Ways to stop it once it starts”

“Ways to mask the volume”

Understand the reader dilemma? ;)

Anyway, my last reply will be that it’s no different than your last dog. The pup doesn’t know the difference between a house and an apartment... he’ll do what he does, and your first line of action will be to respond the way you did with your previous dog. Rinse, repeat, or adjust.

Kong recipe - soak kibble in warm water until it swells a bit, stuff the kong loosely, seal it off with a dab of peanut butter. I wouldn’t freeze it the first few times.... let the pup be successful. Once he’s into it, light freeze then solid freeze. Quality kibble won’t swell much, but being moist still helps it stick together.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
When I first brought home my then 2 months old boy, I was living in a STUDIO apartment with a balcony (his crate was at the balcony). First night, he cried ALL NIGHT I had to put his crate in the bathroom with him on it because he was LOUD (he just got separated from his littermate and everything is unfamiliar, so of course he freaked.) Right from the moment I brought him home, I started basic trainings right away, that includes crate training. I associated crate with food, comfort and security. Praised him like crazy when he stays calm in the crate. Taught him the 'crate!' command where he goes into the crate on demand. Every dog is different but thankfully my pup is not difficult when it comes to crate training. He still cried for a whole week, but as days went by he cried less and less. Also, never use the crate as a punishment. But he needs to know calming himself down in the crate is NOT a punishment. Reward when he's calm. My pup now absolutely loves his crate. I keep the crate open and he just sleeps there when he needs his me-time. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts