German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I just got my 10 week old puppy yesterday and he had a rough beginning. Before going to bed, I figured I would leave him in the bathroom...big mistake on my part. He kept crying and barking, which is to be expected. I let him out and he slept on the floor right below me while I slept on the couch. I was surprised how well he did considering it was his first night with me. He stayed on his blanket and did not relieve himself the whole night! I woke up at around 7am and took him outside and he relieved himself. My question is, I was wondering if anyone could give me the do's and dont's of crate training. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I think crate training is awesome, it really helps when your potty training a puppy. When i crate trained my little guy he hooted and hollered the first couple of nights, which is to be expected. He got to the point where he would whine in the crate to let me know he had to go potty, I would let him out and he would just run into the crate by himself. If the pup whines then let him, he will get used to being in the crate and then he will know that at night thats where hes suppose to be, with a puppy as young as yours he needs to go outside often to go potty.

oh and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for the help. I was wondering if it is ok to leave a 10 week old puppy in his crate overnight? Let's say from midnight to around 6:30 am? It just seems long for a puppy that age. Also, do most people attach water bottles on a crate? Or, should I not leave any water in it?

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
This is what i did.....I did leave my little guy in overnight i just got up when he whined to let me know thats when he had to go potty. You might be getting up in the middle of the night for a bit to let him out to go potty, eventually he will be able to hold it all night. I never put water in the crate, 1) because they might knock over the bowl and you dont want to have him lay in water if you dont happen to catch that he spilled until the morning. 2) if you take the water away at a certain time at night then it lessens the chances of accidents and they wont have to go potty so much during the night. Some people might not agree with that but sometimes its best to not give water all night because it does mean that they will have to go potty more during the night. Really its up to you and what you feel comfortable doing, its your pup.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Jack was crated overnight also
from 12 weeks he never woke me up until 6 am.
However I do limit water none after 8 pm
It is a safe place for them to be..... they can get into sooooo much trouble........Such fun

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Currently my pup is crated at night and while I am at work. At first, I came home at lunch to let him out and play for a while, and paid a puppy helper to come mid-afternoon and take him out again. Now that he can hold it, I no longer come home but still pay my puppy helper to come (it's easier to pay her than do it myself).

In the den I have three 42" wire crates in a row, one for each dog, but in the bedroom I have a 36" wire crate with a fabric crate cover and it's next to our bed. I go to bed around 11pm. My husband get's up at 6:30 so that's when the pup goes out. At first, I also took him out twice during the night. Once he was 10/11 weeks he was holding it all night and now holds it from 11pm-6:30am. If he can do it, I don't see any reason to wake him up. Some people are against letting the puppy bark and decide when he has to go out. I could tell what was a "I gotta pee!" bark and what was a "I'm a little stinker and am throwing a fit!" bark so it was not an issue for me to let the dog tell me if he had to go.

We also work on crate exercises as part of training. I trained him that "kennel!" means to run into the crate and lie down. At first I also fed him meals and yummy treats in the crate. The trick is to either put him in, or let him choose to go in. Don't lure him in with the food. If he runs in on his own, PRAISE him and give him the food/treat. If he won't go in, don't try to coax him in or push him in, just back away from the crate, pick him up, and quickly set him in.

It might be frustrating at first but keep at it! My dog barked nonstop for 5+ hours straight the first three nights in his crate. I was seriously wanting to cry and scream. My husband abandoned us and slept on the couch with pillows on his head! Now my dog is 16 weeks old and for the past few weeks, anytime we go up to my bedroom he runs into his crate and sits down. Anytime he sees me getting food, he runs into his living room crate. I can say "kennel!" and he will spring to his crate like it's the best game ever.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you. Unfortunately, my puppy had to go back to the breeder yesterday as my 3.5 year old daughter was terrified of him. My son and I are heartbroken.:( However, it was in the best interests of my daughter. When she gets older, we will try again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts