German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We tried everything crate training Zeus. Games, treats, toys and nothing works he really hates having that door closed and has major anxiety. He will lay in the crate no problem if the door is open. He LOVES his ex-pen instead. Last Friday Zeus decided that he will not sleep in the crate anymore. He found a corner of our bedroom and fell asleep, so we left him there, he slept all night and no stress at all. The next day on lights out he ran to the corner again... so it's been 1 week now and Zeus sleeps perfectly outside his crate =) The only thing is that now I have 3 alarm clocks. Normal clock, cell phone and Zeus attack! He jumps on me to wake me up! I am picturing this when he is more than 50 pounds, should be fun...

Back to the crate training. I do want him to be crate trained so not sure what to do. I am going to get the largest crate I can and maybe the one that does not have bars but its more of squares (leesburg uses them), He will bite the bars, scream, bang with paws for hours! we do ignore and close the door he just wont stop. I think he does not like to sleep in it because it's hot and he likes to stretch out, flip all over on his back and that's not as easy to do in the crate. He does not have bad anxiety at night because crate is by the bed, but he tosses and turns all night in the crate and sleeps soundly outside the crate.

He will go lay down in the crate no problem with open door, but closed door, if i leave the room its major anxiety, panting, heavy breathing... Some people crate after feeding, that would be a disaster in our case...

Not sure what to try next, I did read a couple posts here where people were just unable to crate train their dogs do to their dogs having issues being confined in small spaces.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Interesting, our dog is exact opposite, nite time crate is no issue eats his goodies out of his kong lays down goes to sleep. During day or in evening after walk / play / dinner etc put him in crate in living room FREAK OUT! Spins, paces, whines, barks... Both of my crates are wire, one in bedroom we cover with a sheet and leave only the space next to bed about 2inches uncovered for him to see us. The A/C vent is under our bed so it feeds right into his crate

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We cover it as well, but he will get a hold of the sheet/blanket and rip and tare at it in rage lol! pull it into the crate!

If he is tired at night he will sleep in the crate, just tosses and turns allot. Same as you if we crate during the day, it's awful!!!

·
Registered
482 Posts
The only thing I really dislike and discourage is the barking and digging at the crate. We had one of the trainers we interviewed last weekend suggest to get a water bottle and spray him when he did the unwanted behaviors. No yelling, no acknowledging just aim and spray, it breaks the obsessive thinking. It has worked ok, I am not thrilled with it but I also cant let him bark his face off as it would cause issues with neighbors. We really dont even have to spray him now we pick the water bottle up and he stops. Lies down, few minutes later he is at it again. The time in between his freak outs has become longer and longer. Started with he would not even lay down just stop and stare, then he started to sit for a moment, then lay down for a minute, now he is up to about 5 minutes between. I dont know that it would work in your situation, it has worked in ours because it is not a crate issue for him since he can lay down peacefully in his crate upstairs it is an attention thing for mine.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think it's all about how you present a crate. If you link it to yourself being away and absent then of course he's going to hate it. Try moving the crate in beside your room at night, It will calm him down and he will know that he is in safe hands. Continue to do this every night and for short spans like 15-20 minutes during the day while your around him, He will soon stop hating it.

One thing, My guy rather sleep on a bed than his crate, but will oblige if it's time to.

If he doesn't go in himself, I keep nudging him towards the door to remind him and then he eventually goes in.

I've had my little guy for a week now.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chib I think every dog is different, we tried all this. he likes the crate if the door is open, he has issues with the door closed. Some dogs like a dan, but ours does not like small spaces...

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
This is called barrier anxiety. It is a hard one to counter-condition but should be done like separation anxiety. Incidentally, my Rafi is not crate trained because he has barrier anxiety. He is fine left loose in the house.

I do not allow my dogs to disturb me when I'm sleeping unless it is an emergency. You can train him to leave you alone.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is called barrier anxiety. It is a hard one to counter-condition but should be done like separation anxiety. Incidentally, my Rafi is not crate trained because he has barrier anxiety. He is fine left loose in the house.

I do not allow my dogs to disturb me when I'm sleeping unless it is an emergency. You can train him to leave you alone.
He is only 19 weeks! =)

He is doing great sleeping outside the crate and when we leave ex-pen works great for now and he loves it. Not sure how to work on barrier anxiety, but it's awful. never seen anything like it. He acts like he is getting murdered in there...

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
You can train a 19 week old! Several of my foster puppies and both of my own puppies were sleeping outside the crate by then. Did you put a bed in the corner for him? You can do that and just use the bed or place command.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lol we have a bed for him and he likes the floor.

The reason I was posting about the crate is I really did want him crate trained just for the future. If he starts pushing his expen over and I need to go to work or if we travel. This expen wont hold him forever and I wont feel safe leaving him in the house alone for a long time, he eats everything!

as for the night time, he is doing great so I am fine with him sleeping on the floor vs the crate he sleeps better and its better for all of us.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Try putting the crate right beside your bed by the window if possible don't cover with a sheet give him something of yours that's not washed and well worn to cuddle with Argos is great in the crate but our Dobe was not he actually ate through the **** thing when we wernt home the only thing that fixed it was putting the crate right beside the bed it was a few sleepless nights but he finally settled down

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Try putting the crate right beside your bed by the window if possible don't cover with a sheet give him something of yours that's not washed and well worn to cuddle with Argos is great in the crate but our Dobe was not he actually ate through the **** thing when we wernt home the only thing that fixed it was putting the crate right beside the bed it was a few sleepless nights but he finally settled down
once again, this is not a problem. and the crate is by the bed.

it's any other time, we need to crate him, like for work.

he can stay in the crate at night but tosses and turns, I think he gets too hot in there. he is doing great outside the crate at night.

I am trying to train so i can crate him during the day when we need to but he has major anxiety. I am sure people that have these type of dogs know that it has nothing to do with where the crate is located.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
once again, this is not a problem. and the crate is by the bed.

it's any other time, we need to crate him, like for work.

he can stay in the crate at night but tosses and turns, I think he gets too hot in there. he is doing great outside the crate at night.

I am trying to train so i can crate him during the day when we need to but he has major anxiety. I am sure people that have these type of dogs know that it has nothing to do with where the crate is located.
Been there, done that, it got so bad that he busted out of it. I didn't try to retrain him to go back in, I figured out what needed to be done to keep him safe in the house while we were gone (open blinds, nothing he can get into on counters/tables, filling a toy with peanut butter before we left, etc). He's happier now. I expected to come home to chewed holes in doors, floors dug up... I didn't give him enough credit. He's actually very well mannered when he's home alone. He pretty much lays on my bed and watches out the window the entire time we are gone.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
If he absolutely must stay in the crate, you might want to see about having a Plexiglass or Lexan door made for the crate. it might make a difference in how he perceives being closed up in the crate while you are away.

Costly maybe, but if it helps you help your puppy it would be worth it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts