German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
I am new to the forum and will be picking up my GSD puppy January 23rd. I am reading various books and am running into conflicting advise when it comes to crate training. I will be at work from 6 am-4pm with a 1 hour lunch break during the week. I am needing your advice when it comes to leaving Roki at home unattended. I do have a fenced in back yard, but want to raise Roki as in indoor dog. Is is cruel to leave Roki in a dog kennel while I am not at home? I would leave her in the backyard but I am worried that she may dig out as I do not know her personality yet. I will be taking 4 days off work when I first get her to get her used to me and her environment. From past experience I do not want her to think that the kennel is a punishment, so what is the best way to approach raising her while I am away at work? Thank you so much for your advice!!!

Jordan

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Will you be able to go home for the hour at lunch time? And congrats on the new puppy!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! Yes, I will be returning home everyday around 11 am. Sorry I meant to say I work from 7-4. I plan on waking up and going on a short morning walk with her, crating her from 7-11 and then from 12-4. I am just worried that she will take that as punishment and want to make sure that the crate is not looked at as punishment. What would you recommend?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I used a crate for bedtime but for those long days when I am at work I puppy proofed my kitchen. I still confine my 11 month old to the kitchen when I go to work. I just think it's too long to be locked in the crate. I can't come home for lunch so its from 8am to 4pm most days. This has worked for 3 dogs now.

·
Registered
31,970 Posts
Crating is the best option for her. :) never leave a puppy in a yard unattended. Get a large enough crate for her to grow into. You can buy them with dividers so it can be adjusted as she grows. You don't want to give her to much space or she might start using a corner to potty.

No, she will not view it as punishment unless you put her in there while you are angry with her. Then she associate the crate with punishment.

Mine love the crate. Especially if it is covered. Jax likes her den-like corners. :)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Congratulations on your new pup! Crating is a good thing.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
What a cute puppy! I worked those same hours when my puppy was crated during the day. I'd get up, take him out and then let him stick by me while I was getting ready for work. I even sat on the floor while putting on my makeup so I could toss a toy for him. Anything to tire him out! Before I'd leave I'd take him back out to potty. At lunch I'd come home let him out and we'd play in the yard for 45 minutes or so. Then back in the crate till I got home. At 15 months he still loves his crate.

Remember that there are many dangers for a small puppy when left unattended. Not to mention that some folks will steal puppies from your yard. So utilizing the crate is the best method (IMO) for keeping your puppy safe and healthy!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is very reassuring Lillie! So it sounds like crate while I am at work (I should not simply put him in the laundry room or garage) and give her maybe a toy and raw chew to keep little Roki busy...

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Crate training is the way to go! We didn't crate our previous two dogs and sure wish we would have. So much less destruction!

We trained Panzer to go in his crate by giving him a puppy size biscuit (still do). He's 9 months old now and often goes in his crate just to rest on his own. He spends the mornings in there, I go home at lunch, and then back in he goes.

Your pup is adorable! I bet you're counting the days. :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Omg Veronica, I cannot tell you how EXCITED I AM! I actually trained a golden retriever in college but she lives with my parents. She was my baby and is soo smart, a neat trick I taught her was to count to 10. I would say any number 1-10 and she would bark that many times :D I had a GSD as a baby but do not really remember her...So now I am purchasing my first house, my first dog (that I can train without any distractions, such as my mom that treats dogs like they are human and ruined my perfectly trained golden)...Life is wonderful right now!!! Attached is a picture of myself and my Golden as well as a picture of Roki's mom and dad and the pups!! :D Thank you everyone for being so inviting and helpful, I think I have found a new home.

-Jordan

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also, I just noticed that a phone number was on the picture I posted. I do not want to break and rules so Admins please remove it if this is not allowed. Still learning all the rules.

Thank You

·
2,967 Posts
I followed this when crate training my puppies.
Leerburg | How to Housebreak A Puppy

It worked well. I also always feed my dogs in their crates, and whenever I have them go in throw in a little treat and they also have special crate toys that they get. So while I might have to push them in or they might cry for a couple days- it usually sorts itself out in the end and now all my dogs go readily into their crates on command.

It's just consistency. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts