German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have adopted/rescued a 2.5 year old GSD from a local resident named Molly. Molly is house trained, but not crate trained. I was wondering what everyone thought about crate training and also about training an older one? If recommended, what is the best way to go about it?

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Crate=meals, really good treats. When I would crate train a new dog I would just walk by and drop treats in every little while (bones DO rain from the sky). If she has a problem at first, put her in for short periods with the door open, with a really good bone or kong full of frozen canned dog food and kibble (she may have a little diarrhea with transition).

http://www.brightstargsd.org/mainpages/adviseforowners.html is a helpful article.

Good luck!

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
We crate train all our foster dogs regardless of age. However a lot of rescue dogs have issues with abandonment so you have to make sure that they understand that crate doesnt = leaving them forever.

Start out with all food and treats in the crate. I make kenneling up one of the first things they learn and turn it into a big fun game. Our command is "go hide" and we play the "go hide" game a lot. Then short stints in the crate while you're home. Give her a tasty bone or stuffed kong and put her in the crate while you putter around the house or watch tv. Once she's ok with that you can start leaving her in there while you're gone for short periods.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Emoore, we do the same thing, I've played chase, find etc..... You really have to re-program thme to feel safe and secure and the crate is a place that good things happen in.....not the cage of torture many grew up with. I also will play around the crate to and reward some of the more difficult ones for just looking at it.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
i used treats and toys for crate training teagan, though she settled to it fairly quickly. i also used sheets to make it more den-like.

the other thing i did, was keep the crate in the kitchen, so she wasn't left out of things, even if she was crated, b/c i spend a lot of time there. also, if i wasn't there, she had a clear line of view to the den, so it wasn't like she was off in a corner and couldn't see anything or was hidden away.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I tried alot of the ideas here and thanks for them all. She now goes right into her cage when its time for me to leave and I say, go to your room Molly. At first she was terrified of it, so I would lay in there with her for a while and now she is great in it. Thanks again everyone!

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Sarge was 3 years old and I tought it would be a giant problem to get him to use a crate. I could not have been more wrong. We got him a very big wire crate and bought a nice mattress liner for it and put his blanket on top of the mattress.

It is now his personal space. He spends a lot of time in there just relaxing. He doesnt mind it if we need to close the door while were out either. I wouldnt have believed it until I saw it with my own eyes. I didnt want to get it in the first place, now id hate to try and take away from him...lol

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Our Maltese is 7-9 yo and we have to separate our dogs. He was crate trained immediately by giving liver treats in the crate. His comfy bed was put in the crate and he was treated (minimally) for entering the crate ... no problems at all. But he is a dog that has to be clipped so he was used to being in a similar situation.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Crate training is a must. The crate will become your dogs den in the wild; her place of security, safety and escape. All the advise that you have received so far is pretty much right on.

By the way thanks for rescuing Molly!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts