German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I have been reading alot of the posts and have found much useful information.

We welcomed a new 10wk old GSD into our home. Our 13 yr old passed in Feb of Congestive Heart Failure. Been so long since I've had a puppy, didn't realize how much I'd forgotten.

Looking for advise on how to crate train my Shadow. He howls like he's being tortured when I put him in his crate. Trying it for only 5-10 minutes at a time right now, and I won't let him out until he quiets down. Is this the right approach?

Thanks all.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Congrats on the new pup, I used a clicker training method with Ava as a puppy. Every evening we would play by the crate, first, everytime she would look at the crate, click, treat....then I would wait until she made a step towards the crate.....click then treat...work on that until he does it looking for a treat, then click and treat when he sets a foot inside, then when he walks inside, then when he goes inside and lies down. etc....do this in little steps and each progress gets him closer and closer.

I would play chase games and tug games around the crate as well. Also, I would leave him in longer than 5 min, more like 30 min. The idea is to get him to associate the crate with fun and good things like treats and toys. Save a favorite treat or toy that he only gets when he goes into the crate.

Ava loves her crate now, and she used to howl down the house, she races as fast as she can to get in it when I tell her "kennel". I also used a wind up clock to put in with her at bed time, I think the ticking soothed her, I kept her in our bedroom as well so she always heard our "sleeping" noises at night.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks alot. I tried leaving him in it for a longer period today, and gave him a brand new squeeker to take in with him. The first time, he howled for about 10 minutes, next time less, and the last time the crying lasted less than 2 minutes. Really appreciate the info.

Diane

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
that's great to hear, puppies can be trying, every time I try to remind myself why I thought I was ready for a puppy .... again ... LOL. It was hard and I had to keep my head and remember to be patient. They are babies and need a lot of encouragement and praise.

·
Registered
409 Posts
That works. Another thing is try toys to keep them busy. If you have chew toys put a little peanut butter on them or try a kong. One thing I did with a border collie that had to be in his crate quite a bit for a while - put a cup of food in a 20 oz soda bottle...leave the top off. As he noses and bats it around a piece comes out...it keeps his mind busy and less worries about what you are doing. I'd use the occasional rawhide with peanut butter on it, or there's bones you can buy (about $3 each) stuffed with cheese or peanut butter that my dogs LOVE.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input everyone. Tried the treat idea, and today, for the first time, when I told Shadow it was "rest time" he calmly walked into his crate, no hesitation or crying, and laid down. I have just gotten of the phone with my daughter, who says that he didn't whine at all. My hubby gave him big hugs when Shadow was let out after 2 hrs.

Yay!!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts