German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First crate I bought for my boy was the 36" (because at that time I thought I was getting a corgi, a GSD fell into my lap instead #thankGod lol). He outgrew it when he hit 6 months.

And then I bought a 48". Size L-W-H 48-30-33. Then I realised when I ordered, I based the height on his withers (25.5" now), and now when he sits down, his ears comes out of the crate... He looks funny each time I see him like that lol.

Anyhow, the crate broke and I thought ok, I needed to buy a new one anyways where he could sit comfortably. Plus the crate I bought was a total wack. The brand is called 'Best Pet.' I got it from Walmart. Mostly because it's blue and it looks super cool. But BAD...... QUALITY.... Bent and super weak. My boy never bites his crate etc. But he pushed through the crate door and it just fell down and that's how he managed to escape twice.

He is 80lb (still growing), height 25.5", with the ears def he's more than 33".

Question is, which size of crate do you use for your babies? I was gonna get a 54", but would it be too big for him? Any brand suggestions? Experience you guys would like to share? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
5,385 Posts
How much time is your dog going to spend in it?

I have 36” crates for the minivan, and for the dog shows. I have 36” and 42” crates at home. Russ (who is huge) loves the 42”, while Carly prefers the smaller crate. Since everyone is grown up now (8 yo, 5 yo, and soon to be 2 yo), crates are rarely used around here, except for Russ insisting he needs to eat in the big crate. None of my dogs stand when crated, they all immediately lie down.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
3-5 hours during the week probably. My dog likes to sit in it so I think he'd like something higher/taller. Would you say a 54" would be too big?

·
Registered
30,372 Posts
My dog is 25.5" and 80#. A 48" crate is more than sufficient. He's in a 42 when we are training and can stretch out when laying down. He can easily turn and move as he needs.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My dog is 25.5" and 80#. A 48" crate is more than sufficient. He's in a 42 when we are training and can stretch out when laying down. He can easily turn and move as he needs.
Whoa he's the exact same size? How old's your dog, Jax? Yeah I mean it's definitely sufficient. But when he stands up or sits down in it, his head has to lower down and even after that his ears are coming out of the top... It looks very uncomfortable.....

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
151 Posts
The plastic crates are usually airline approved. The are more solid in that they are not collapsible like wire crates. For use at home you can use whatever works for you be it plastic, wire, wood, etc.

·
Registered
869 Posts
We have the XL "Great Dane" sized crate...our second try! (ordered by mail from chewy.com)

The main reason was because in the next size down, Rumo was miserable - he likes to sleep with all of his legs stretched out in "dead dog" position and he couldn't do it in a narrower crate. Rumo loves the huge crate (he's very housetrained, so no worries there), but it is murder on the house decor. Everybody who comes over says, "That's the biggest crate I've ever seen!" And my daughter and her friends have gotten in it and sat around in there (?) There's also no chance of travelling with it, fitting it in the car, etc. I still have the smaller crate folded up in case we need to travel with it.

(Rumo is 76 lbs and about 26" high at shoulder.)

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
Isn't this a crate for transportation purposes?
I used a wire crate once. Bud enjoy the extra space, but made mince meat out of it when a realtor opened the door. I dislike wire because most dogs can escape them and the chances of a catastrophic injury in doing so are high. I chose these particular crates because other then the door there is no metal at all. Nothing for them to snag a paw or a jaw on, and even chewing around the door will not result in a breach, plus they are cheap to replace and easy to clean. And they have tie down hooks for vehicle use.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We have the XL "Great Dane" sized crate...our second try! (ordered by mail from chewy.com)

The main reason was because in the next size down, Rumo was miserable - he likes to sleep with all of his legs stretched out in "dead dog" position and he couldn't do it in a narrower crate. Rumo loves the huge crate (he's very housetrained, so no worries there), but it is murder on the house decor. Everybody who comes over says, "That's the biggest crate I've ever seen!" And my daughter and her friends have gotten in it and sat around in there (?) There's also no chance of travelling with it, fitting it in the car, etc. I still have the smaller crate folded up in case we need to travel with it.

(Rumo is 76 lbs and about 26" high at shoulder.)
Rumo is my boy's size! Yeah I'm looking at the one on chewy, I think it's Frisco, for $100? Would you mind taking a picture of it? I would want to see how the crate looks like and how it looks like in the living room or wherever you put it in. If you don't mind, of course.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts