German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our puppy is quickly growing out of the crate that a friend gave us. Our Rottweiler has an XLarge crate, which is recommended according to the crate manufacturer.

The Large crate is recommended for a German Shepherd. Which size do you all have? I don't want to get a L one and have him get too big and wish we had gotten an XL! But I also don't want to spend extra money if my needed. The XL is substantially more expensive, even used...

Thoughts?

Tami

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Male or female puppy?
I would go with something at least 42 inches (L? is the XL 48?). I have a 42 inch one for my female, she's still a puppy but from what I've read around here most gsds fit fine in a 42 if they're about standard sized, but many people buy 48 because obviously more room is nicer for their dog

·
Banned
377 Posts
How big is (or will be) your dog? Mine is 25.5 inches and 75 pounds and is very comfortable in the 42" crate. She loves it and goes in on her own.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Go with the biggest you can, a 42" would be the minimum I'd go, but I'd prefer to go with the 48"

·
Registered
910 Posts
Definitely the 48". You might go a little smaller for travelling, but for the regular crate, the 48" is definitely worth it.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I've always used the "Great Dane" sized crates ... I "think" they're 48".

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have a 42"x30"x30 wire crate with a divider, and I wish I'd purchased it straightaway instead of getting a travel style crate to begin with. The movable divider makes it possible for it to grow with her. It also collapses easily for travel.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for the replies! Strider is 4 months old and currently weighs 41 lbs. I think we will go with the bigger one just to be safe.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh. And he's a male. His dad was a big guy, weighing in at over 100 lbs. so I think bigger is definitely better.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I started Lisl in a 36", but she outgrew that and I recently bought a 48" for her. I'm glad I bought that instead of the 42"

Big difference in the amount of room.

Save the smaller crate for travel though.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Gunnar at 7 months and 65#s outgrew the XL kennel. He fit in it for sleeping, but could not sit up in it because his ears would poke out through the top, which caused him to crouch, which was obvious that he did not like.

I bought a Ginormous one from Midwest pet products. It cost more than I wanted to spend, but he's much happier in there and has room to move. Now he sleeps better and seems much happier.

·
Registered
13 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We ended up with the 48" crate. Got it off Craig's List for $100 and it's nearly brand new! Glad we went with the bigger one. He loves it!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Once Zoey was able to hold going to the bathroom until the morning and all day while we weren't home we stopped using the crate. I don't know what the point of having one past that is anyway. They take up to much room and are ugly.

·
Registered
268 Posts
The standard recommended MINIMUM length and width for a crate is 6" longer than the dog's length laying down (rump to front paws stretched out) and 6" taller than the dog's shoulders. This particular height doesn't allow a dog to stand with their head and neck stretched all the way up, but does allow them to stand. You may want to increase it from there.

I'm finding slightly different measurements for height on common wire crates for any given length. When I get swayed by a particular measurement, I've been suckered in for an online purchase of a flimsy crate, just for the dimensions. Grrrr.... but I started another thread on that subject!

:hammer:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts