German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kylie is still in her original crate. The length and width are fine. She takes up just half of the floor space when she sleeps in it.

The problem is that she is getting too tall for it. Her back is at 26" and the crate is 27" high.

I don't want to get an enormous crate, but I do want her next crate to be the last one I get.

She is 8 months old and 54 pounds. The vet still estimates that she will hit a maximum of 60 pounds.

What height of crate should I get for her?
This is her current crate: Amazon.com: Midwest Life Stages Single-Door Folding Metal Dog Crate, 42 Inches by 28 Inches by 31 Inches: Pet Supplies
dimensions are 36" long x 24" wide x 27" high.

She is only in her crate to sleep at night now. When we need to leave during the day, she stays outside. There is nearly always somebody at home, so she is left in the backyard for 3-4 hours just 1-2x/week.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I would get the 48" crate if you have enough room for it. My Goldendoodle loves his and my GSD puppy loves his as well with the divider working very well!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Go with the 48".... Go to wayfair.com. You'll get a pop up to sign up for a 10% off coupon. Sign up and it will get sent to you right away. The 48" double door crate is $94 right now.... so you get it for around $85 shipped :)

I just sold my 42" to upgrade to a 48". Figured I would do it now, rather than later.

·
Registered
449 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Thanks for the recommendation Geeheim, just ordered that crate now. on sale for 59.99 right now (130 normally) with free shipping cant beat that.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the link. I ordered one of the 2-door (because where I need to put the crate, I have to have the door on the longer side).

·
Registered
384 Posts
I apologize about that.... I should have said the Midwest Life Stages crate. I just had my crate delivered Thursday.

Midwest Homes For Pets Life Stages Fold & Carry Double-Door Dog Crate (1648DD)
Size: X-Large - 48" L x 30" W x 33" H

Total:
$81.84
This was with a $3 discount from when I purchased the first crate and the 10% off code... they give you "rewards" to use towards future purchases.

The one reason I recommend these crates, is that they are actually heavier guage than the other brands. Even heavier than Midwest's ICrate. And the two doors is a must for me. No idea why the ICrate is so much more, when it is actually a lighter guage metal.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm glad I went for the biggest crate. Even though she always curled up into a ball in her crate and slept in only about half of it, I really like that she has a lot more room in this one. She couldn't have slept all sprawled out in her original crate, but she can do that in this one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts