German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My puppy is not quite 70lb yet. Fairly tall for his age with outrageous ears. He sleeps in an XL crate (the only size up is a dane crate) When he sits up his ears smoosh against the top of the crate and he can't seem to hold his head up all the way.

He has a Primo pad and a little terry mat, not more than 2" of bedding.

He can turn around and lay out on his side in there and everything. But I am seriously considering getting him a dane sized crate. Am I being rediculous? Surely he is not the only GSD whose ears dont quite fit in his crate.

His crate is 32" high, 48" long. I think he is mature enough to sleep in an x pen now so he could have more room and only be crated when I have to leave him, which is not every day and not for very long.

Am I being silly or does the kid need a bigger crate? My older dogs are killing me with vet bills or I would have gotten him one regardless. Now I am trying to put it off becausr my old gal needs and ultra sound which is probably gonna run me a coiple hundred at least and then who knows what after that, depending 8n what they find.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He sleeps in it, and rarely spends up to 3 hrs in it but it wouod be unusual for him to be in there for more than 1 3 hr stay per week. He gets tons of exercise.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Middle of nowhere ha ha!! I am totally looking for trouble.

I probably will buy him the big crate at some point. But I just needed a little reassurance that it really can wait. Vet bills before unnecessary luxury for the pup

·
Super Moderator
5,389 Posts
Russell has a 42" crate and he's a big boy. He never just sits in his crate. He eats in there (lying down) and takes naps in there. We have a Great Dane size crate at work, and his ears still go through the wires. That said, I'd get whatever size that makes you comfortable. Your dog probably won't care either way, lol! However, when given a choice, my dog Carly will always take the smaller crate.

·
4,518 Posts
My boy's crate is large enough for him to lay down on his side, but most of the time he chooses to curl up on one end. The door is open so he comes and goes as he pleases at night. The crate is in the bedroom.

·
Registered
489 Posts
My boy sleeps in a 42'" long crate, he usually curls to sleep so that gives him plenty of room. In the summer he does tend to sleep spread out so I reduce the amt. of bedding and put a small fan on him to keep him cool.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts