German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
I have a complete room just for the kennels and the wire crate and one kennel is still at Chris's place. I really have to pick that one up. So we have four kennels and one crate. However, Judge is doing so well that I don't even have to crate him at night anymore.
What's the difference between a crate and kennel?

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
What's the difference between a crate and kennel?
With the Kennel I refer to the hard-plastic kennel that are officially used to fly the dogs from one point to the other. The crate is the wired crate that is shown in the pictures. :)

A kennel can also be a big outdoor kennel what you usually see with a lot of working dog breeders in Germany.

·
Banned
31,833 Posts
Generally, a crate is either a wire-crate like Good Karma's or an airline crate that Mrs. K mentioned. They are big enough for the dog to lie down, stand up and turn around in. They are measured in inches, 54", etc. Mine are 42x28x31 for the girls, I have two 48x30x36 that I can put boys in. Airline, fiberglass crates are often called 400 or 500 models. Mine are smaller, as the dogs are riding in the car, and will lie down and go to sleep. I use 36 inch length crates in the car.

A kennel is usually measured in feet, 6'x10', or 10'x20 or 14' x 12.5. They can be used in garages, basements, but more generally outside. they may or may not be covered over. They should have some type of dog house or shelter in them. Usually the dog has water and possibly food put down in them. They are for longer hours. Dog can eliminate, run back and fourth, stretch out.

Crate:

x-pen:

Kennel:

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Thanks guys!

·
Banned
8,988 Posts

·
Banned
31,833 Posts
A Vari-Kennel is a portable kennel, what is commonly called a crate.

A Kennel is really not portable. There are five or six foot panels that you can set up and pull down, but you need tools and a base of some sort.

A vari-kennel or crate has base, and top, is completely enclosed. Some give a cave like appearance and fit in cars better, others are wire, allow more ventilation and visually are better for some applications.

But crates, whether soft sided, or wire, or fiberglass, are generally set up without tools and easily moved from one place to another, while the Kennel is a more permanent construction.

Think of it this way. A kennel, is a place where you might board your dog. It is not a place where you would see a bunch of crates. They would call that a Crate. And nobody would ever do it. Kennels would have indoor runs, indoor outdoor runs, and those runs are generally called kennels.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
A vari kennel is called a kennel worldwide. I've never heard anyone call it a crate. Ask anyone overseas and they will tell you that it is a kennel because the company itself calls it a kennel.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
I don't think there are any definitions other than the ones in our heads.

I always ask for clarification when in doubt knowing that people use the words interchangeably and not in my brain's definition (kennel - outdoors, crate - indoors).

And before someone says well of course there are definitions...
kennel:
kennel - definition of kennel by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
crate:
crate - definition of crate by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Which do nothing to help define it by what we are talking about but...

·
Banned
31,833 Posts
A vari kennel is called a kennel worldwide. I've never heard anyone call it a crate. Ask anyone overseas and they will tell you that it is a kennel because the company itself calls it a kennel.
Mrs. K, I have no idea why I would want to say anything to you, but you are in the US now, and if you say Kennel, when you mean crate, someone might bring you to the crates, they may bring you to the dog houses, heard people call dog houses kennels too, but they will most probably give you a strange look.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
I don't think there are any definitions other than the ones in our heads.

I always ask for clarification when in doubt knowing that people use the words interchangeably and not in my brain's definition (kennel - outdoors, crate - indoors).

And before someone says well of course there are definitions...
kennel:
kennel - definition of kennel by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
crate:
crate - definition of crate by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Which do nothing to help define it by what we are talking about but...

Very interesting definition. So according to the Dictionary a kennel is actually a hutlike dog house... :D

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Around here, most people seem to call dog crates kennels. I call them kennels too. Here, I think the most preferred term for a kennel is a 'dog run'. The command for my dog to go into his crate is 'kennel'. When I come on here, I have to pay attention to my posts when I talk about crates and kennels. I usually end up saying 'kennel' whenever I mean crate, so I have to go through my post having to fix all of it so it makes sense on here. :p

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
I just call them all cages... My bf refers to the plastic one as "the bucket"... Dunno why... LOL
I'm also fluent in English and have never quite understood the distinction between a crate and kennel... if I had to pick one, I'd call the thing that goes outside a "kennel" and an indoor cage a "crate".

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
I just call them all cages... My bf refers to the plastic one as "the bucket"... Dunno why... LOL
I'm also fluent in English and have never quite understood the distinction between a crate and kennel... if I had to pick one, I'd call the thing that goes outside a "kennel" and an indoor cage a "crate".
My sister calls her babies carseats a bucket..."put them in their bucket'
A run is a long outdoor kennel. A kennel can be a run, maybe with an indoor area. A kennel can be a plastic vari-kennel and a crate is a plastic vari-kennel or a wire crate.
A pickle is a sour salty cuke, or a marker word for a dogs place...

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
I call the plastic ones kennels, or the outside ones kennels, and the wire ones crates. I don't know why. lol

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
To me, any of the small ones - plastic or metal - are crates and anything bigger than that indoors or outdoors is a kennel. I've never heard anyone refer to a plastic crate as a kennel even though the brand name for some of them is VariKennel.

·
Banned
31,833 Posts
It seems to vary by location.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts