German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I am going to be picking up my pup soon (12 week old), but of course I need to obtain an appropriately sized crate for travel and for home use.

Can anyone suggest one?

I'd like to pick one he'd use into adulthood (or at least until housebroken), so I'd like one I wouldn't have to replace often because he's growing.

Any suggestions I'd greatly appreciate!

PS - The cozier for him, the better!

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Are you looking for a separate crate for home and one for in the car? I just use a regular wire crate for at home. Mine are Midwest. They make crates that come with a divider so you can buy the large size (either 42" or 48", depending on how large your dog is estimated to get), yet still make it cozy for a small puppy.

For travel, I really like the Ruff Tough kennel. It's fairly reasonably priced for a molded plastic travel crate. My GSD has the XL one.

·
Registered
30,371 Posts
For a puppy, I have a 36" with a divider. Once they are potty trained and growing, I switch out to a 42 and 48

·
Registered
151 Posts
I use the airline crates. One for the van and one for the home. The size for 50-70lbs and the other is for 70-90lbs. I don't know the inches off hand. I started mine in the smaller one in the house while potty training. It was the perfect size for that. Chewy and Amazon both usually have a good price on them.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you looking for a separate crate for home and one for in the car? I just use a regular wire crate for at home. Mine are Midwest. They make crates that come with a divider so you can buy the large size (either 42" or 48", depending on how large your dog is estimated to get), yet still make it cozy for a small puppy.

For travel, I really like the Ruff Tough kennel. It's fairly reasonably priced for a molded plastic travel crate. My GSD has the XL one.
I guess I will need one for travel (if you all believe one is necessary - safety I'm sure is a must, and what better than a crate, right?), and one for home.

I'd like a crate he will use into adulthood, so I'm sure the one you're recommending will do.

I guess I'm wondering if I'll need a separate one for travel?

As of now, I'll look at the Midwest one and Ruff Tough - if there's a universal one, I'd love to know about it!

Any opinions are certainly welcome!

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I like to use a crate in the car. I feel the dogs are safer that way, and they are contained if anything happens that would require emergency workers access to the car.

I never found any of the travel crates to be particularly great in the house. There isn't as much ventilation in a travel crate, and my dogs get hot in them. The wire crates allow more air flow.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I like to use a crate in the car. I feel the dogs are safer that way, and they are contained if anything happens that would require emergency workers access to the car.

I never found any of the travel crates to be particularly great in the house. There isn't as much ventilation in a travel crate, and my dogs get hot in them. The wire crates allow more air flow.
Thanks for the feedback!

I have decided to get a travel crate for the safety concerns and an in-home wired-type for home. Want to make sure he is a comfy as he can get so that he chooses to go in as he pleases.

Thanks much!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello again everyone!

Was wondering what your thoughts were on a hammock in the rear seats versus a travel crate.

Any input would be great! I'm picking up my little guy in 2 weeks and am trying to make the best decision!

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I used to use one of the hammock type seat covers. I wasn't a huge fan. I would stick with a crate, at least while your guy is young. It will protect your car better in case of accidents, or if he's a chewer. Plus, they can be helpful if your puppy gets carsick.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Hello again everyone!

Was wondering what your thoughts were on a hammock in the rear seats versus a travel crate.

Any input would be great! I'm picking up my little guy in 2 weeks and am trying to make the best decision!

Thanks!
I like my hammock a lot in my truck. It's easy to clean and my dog doesn't fall on the floor. That being said, he can still get in front and I need to purchase a divider to keep him back there.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I used to use one of the hammock type seat covers. I wasn't a huge fan. I would stick with a crate, at least while your guy is young. It will protect your car better in case of accidents, or if he's a chewer. Plus, they can be helpful if your puppy gets carsick.
That's definitely a good point. I did not consider the pup being car sick. If this does happen (fingers crossed it doesn't) do you have any suggestions?

I'm looking at about 6-7 hour drive, but definitely stopping every 2 hours or so.

He will be 12 weeks old :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I like my hammock a lot in my truck. It's easy to clean and my dog doesn't fall on the floor. That being said, he can still get in front and I need to purchase a divider to keep him back there.
Did you happen to use a hammock at a young age? I like the idea of me being able to comfort the pup on the ride home, but then again, would a crate be better?

Any input would be great!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Did you happen to use a hammock at a young age? I like the idea of me being able to comfort the pup on the ride home, but then again, would a crate be better?

Any input would be great!

Thanks!
I've used it since he was 12 weeks. He's now 5 mos. I purchased a waterproof one. Its held up to puke, pond water, sand, and a 14 hour road trip with 2 dogs.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I used to and still use a hammock for my 9 month old. I am looking for a crate that will accommodate an adult gsd in the back seat of a sedan. The hammock was great for us. It kept him contained and kept the seats from getting scratched up or dirty. the one time he did puke in the car none of it got on the seats. He puked because he was really young and wasn't allowed to eat for 12 hours because he had to be put under at the vets. He never got car sick but we did take him for lots of car rides since we got him. We switched from his puppy crate to his hammock maybe right before he turned 3 months old just because it was so convenient.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've used it since he was 12 weeks. He's now 5 mos. I purchased a waterproof one. Its held up to puke, pond water, sand, and a 14 hour road trip with 2 dogs.
That is awesome!

Do you recall what the brand or manufacturer of that product was?

Thanks!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I used to and still use a hammock for my 9 month old. I am looking for a crate that will accommodate an adult gsd in the back seat of a sedan. The hammock was great for us. It kept him contained and kept the seats from getting scratched up or dirty. the one time he did puke in the car none of it got on the seats. He puked because he was really young and wasn't allowed to eat for 12 hours because he had to be put under at the vets. He never got car sick but we did take him for lots of car rides since we got him. We switched from his puppy crate to his hammock maybe right before he turned 3 months old just because it was so convenient.
Sounds great! Do you recall what the brand or manufacturer of the product was? Sounds exactly like what I'm looking for.

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Sounds great! Do you recall what the brand or manufacturer of the product was? Sounds exactly like what I'm looking for.

Thanks a lot!
http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Waterproof-Hammock-Seat-Cover/dp/B00QHC041A/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1461841687&sr=8-3&keywords=dog+hammock

I have tried out 2 this one and a more expensive one. This one actually lasted longer (still in use) the more expensive one ripped where it hooks up onto the front seats. I just make sure to have a towel down where the slots for your seat belt are so in the case of a potty accident the pee doesnt pool up there And drip through to the seats

1 - 20 of 21 Posts