German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What size crate do you recommend for a full-grown german shepherd? Spirit is outgrowing his puppy crate now but he loves it and I want to buy one that will be permanent, that he can use now and when he's full grown.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
What size crate do you recommend for a full-grown german shepherd? Spirit is outgrowing his puppy crate now but he loves it and I want to buy one that will be permanent, that he can use now and when he's full grown.
I had a pretty big one that my mom used for her Rott and my dog's ears still popped through:) Maybe go look at a petstore to see what size would be best when he's full grown.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
The biggest one possible. Delgado's had a XL crate since 9 weeks, I just used a divider for about 6 weeks then took it out. The XL was the biggest they had in the store and I didn't want to shop online, it's big enough he can stretch out in it

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
42in will be sufficient for most adult GSDs. If you feel like splurging or get a great deal on CL or a garage sale a 48in won't kill 'em. ;)

Some GSDs can fit into a 36, but if you have the space and a few extra bucks size up. A 42 will fit height-wise into most SUVs, but not hatchbacks. A 48 probably won't fit in anything, lol. Be sure to get one with the divider, or you could have potty training troubles on your plate.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not worried about the potty training issue with the crate, Spirit's very good about that now and I'm never away that long. Is there a reason why I would want a double door as opposed to single?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm not worried about the potty training issue with the crate, Spirit's very good about that now and I'm never away that long. Is there a reason why I would want a double door as opposed to single?
I wouldn't care about the door? In my opinion, they should be removed.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I have 2 female GSD dogs & each has a wire crate in the house ...single, Front door opening, 42" Long, 28" wide, 30" high. (Thats 'Large' according the brand Journey... From Tractor Supply...retails about $85) That is fine for them.

Single door is all I need as mine are situated side-by-side. (The only reason I would need a side door is If I were to put both crates in the same area and have to have the doors positioned to get/let the dogs out more easily).

For a male, you may want to go up a size but since he's not confined all of the time, that size should be big enough?

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
54"?! Wow

At home I have 42"s. In my van I have 36". The 36" are perfectly fine for transporting/training/dog events our male GSDs ranging from 55 (not an adult) to 95lbs. I don't want dogs standing up and pacing around in a vehicle. At home though I have 42"s for those that still need/use a crate.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
42" at my home and in my ride....I use the 700 vari-kennel. The 500 is too small for my dogs long body! Depends on the dog, but I don't like them cramped if we are training or if it is cold out, I want them to be able to stretch some.

·
Registered
68 Posts
It's not so much the length as much as how tall I have a 42" long 28" wide 32" tall
The 42" gives room to strech out but the 32" he needs to stay slouched over and his ears stick out the top wish they made a 42"x30"x36" that would be great
My boy is 12 mounths old 90lbs Fyi

·
Registered
31,835 Posts
Hmmm. For an indoor crate, I like wire and a 42"x30"x31" for adult bitches (l x w x h); a 48" x 32" x 36" for males. In a pinch, I can put a boy in a 42.

For the SUV, I use 36" airline crates. I can fit 2 side by side in the back of my Explorer and still have the back seat free. I have fit males and females in those crates. They curl up and go to sleep. If I was transporting a dog for six or eight hours, I might use the larger one I got from the airport when I brought Odie home. But the 36s are certainly large enough for bitches in the car.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Piper has a 48" at home and at 65lbs it's a mansion for her. New guy (2.5 yr old / 90 lbs) that we're adopting will get that one and she'll get a 42" crate. For trials and travel she goes in a 36" crate.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts