German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

My 3 month old pup is crate trained and we keep the crate downstairs in the living room. I wake up once in the night at around 2:30 to let her out, and then we're up for the day at 6:30.

We need her to start learning to let us know when she needs to go out in the night because we're leaving for Christmas and she will be babysat by my fiance's parents (who also have a pup). Their pup will bark at them when she needs to go out at night, but that pup is not crate trained.

The trouble is when we leave her at his parents' place, she will have her crate but it won't be closed at night (because it's not fair for her to be crated but the other pup to have free roam). We just don't want any poop piles or pee piles for them to clean at night.

My dilemma is our upstairs is carpet, and she's not allowed up there until she she's a bit older (we don't want any accidents). But we can't hear her very well from where we sleep if she does fuss.

So should we move the crate into our bedroom and only allow her up at night? (And that way we can just take her out when she fuesses). We also have a puppy pillow we can bring upstairs instead of a crate, but I feel like that negates the whole crate training thing we've been doing. Or should we leave her downstairs and just go longer and longer between letting her out?

Any suggestions would be great!
Thanks!!!

·
Registered
682 Posts
Hi!

The trouble is when we leave her at his parents' place, she will have her crate but it won't be closed at night (because it's not fair for her to be crated but the other pup to have free roam). We just don't want any poop piles or pee piles for them to clean at night.

IMO, I would put the crate in the bedroom and keep the door closed if that is what the pup is used to, and take her out at the time she has been going out. Just keep the dogs seperated if you don't want one in and one out. Again IMO free roam as a pup is a bad idea.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
I would have your dog sleep in her crate with the door closed at your fiance's parents'. Dogs don't think, "Oh, it's not fair that I'm stuck in this crate and that dog isn't. The other dog is trustworthy out of his/her crate. Your dog is not. It's as simple as that. My dog sleeps in the bed with us at night. Foster dogs sleep in the crate in the kitchen. That's what they get to deal with for not being housebroken.

In your own house, I would move your dog's crate to where you can hear her at night and then stop getting up every night to let her out. She'll make some noise and let you know when she needs to go out.

·
5,627 Posts
I would have your dog sleep in her crate with the door closed at your fiance's parents'. Dogs don't think, "Oh, it's not fair that I'm stuck in this crate and that dog isn't. The other dog is trustworthy out of his/her crate. Your dog is not. It's as simple as that. My dog sleeps in the bed with us at night. Foster dogs sleep in the crate in the kitchen. That's what they get to deal with for not being housebroken.

In your own house, I would move your dog's crate to where you can hear her at night and then stop getting up every night to let her out. She'll make some noise and let you know when she needs to go out.
I agree with all of this. My dog is loose in the house and all foster dogs are crated when I am not home. They don't think it's not fair. They just know they have their own space to relax during the day/night.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
I'm with everyone else. Dogs don't have an 'it's not fair' thing. That's HUMAN!

Since I always overlap dogs, getting a new puppy when the next oldest dog is around 5 yrs old, the new puppy is always going to be crated when the already trained adult dogs are around. They do just fine cause it's the way it always is!

Truthfully, by 3 months my pups (as long as there is no water in the crate, and they don't tank up right before betime) can make it the 8 hours thru the night. So I'd use the crate and I bet no one has to get up in the middle of the night at all.

That said, when the alarm goes off they need to know to not futz around with their normal morning activities. It's throw on some warm clothes, grab the puppy and get outdoors!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies! I was worried my dog would think we are mean parents, haha!

I'll leave the bedroom door open so I can hear her if she needs to go out. If that doesn't work then I'll bring the crate upstairs (which is a task because it has to be dismantled since it won't fit through the door!!)

Does it matter that my fiance's parents' dog is also a 3 month old pup? She's not THAT trustworthy, but they just didn't want to crate train her.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Does it matter that my fiance's parents' dog is also a 3 month old pup? She's not THAT trustworthy, but they just didn't want to crate train her.
Yeah, I would definitely not leave your crate-trained puppy loose at night with a pup who isn't trustworthy in the house. Don't want your girl picking up bad bathroom habits.

·
Registered
98 Posts
My little man is 12 weeks old tomorrow, and has been sleeping through the night with no problems for about 2 weeks already. I'm sure he would go do his business in the middle of the night if given the opportunity, but one night the alarm just didn't go off to take him out at 2am. He didn't make a peep and no accidents in the crate. That's how we knew he could sleep all night (and so could we!) :)

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
My little man is 12 weeks old tomorrow, and has been sleeping through the night with no problems for about 2 weeks already. I'm sure he would go do his business in the middle of the night if given the opportunity, but one night the alarm just didn't go off to take him out at 2am. He didn't make a peep and no accidents in the crate. That's how we knew he could sleep all night (and so could we!) :)
Exactly, Take him out to potty @ whatever 10-ish and take away water @ 7-8-ish and odds are nobody will be getting up until morning.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I'll leave the bedroom door open so I can hear her if she needs to go out. If that doesn't work then I'll bring the crate upstairs (which is a task because it has to be dismantled since it won't fit through the door!!).
Have you tried the baby monitors ? We used to (and still do) keep our puppy in the crate downstairs. When he was tiny, we just put up a baby monitor and that way we could hear him when he wanted to be let out. Now he is older and we can hear his whining even in my dead sleep :)

You can always pick up a used baby monitor from craigslist for real cheap. better than dismantling and reassembling the crate !!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts