German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GSD is 1 year old and has been crate trained since we've had him and does great with it. The crate is in its own bedroom so I got the idea to just let him have the whole bedroom since he isn't destructive and is house trained. But, he barks and whines and just doesn't sleep as good when he has the whole room. So does he not like all the extra room? We would just leave him out in the whole house but he wants to be in bed with us and his 85 lb stomping on your sleeping body isn't pleasant I know this from camping season. So should we give him more time (it's been about 2 weeks) or go back to the crate? The crate is plenty big, I have been in it with him, I just hate locking him up.

·
Super Moderator
7,250 Posts
Many dogs feel calmer and more comfortable in their den(crate).I would put the crate back in there and leave the door unlocked.

Reactions: Sabis mom

·
Registered
55 Posts
Why not put his crate in your bedroom? He gets to sleep with you but in his own space. Plus, you won't trip over him in the middle of the night if you get up to use the bathroom. :smile2:

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Mei will relax on the bed but when she wants to sleep it's in her crate. She prefers that over the bed. It's her woman cave! If you try and lay next to her on the bed, she hops down and goes into her cave lol.

Why not just move the crate into your room?
Here she is super young. I used to keep a sheet over it for more of a den feeling.

·
Registered
7,759 Posts
Shadow is my fourth dog that will open her crate and put herself in it at bedtime. Some dogs really prefer to have their own den to sleep in.
Sabi would randomly take over Buds crate and refuse to let him back in.
I would just let him have his crate. No need to lock him in, just let him use it. Also keep in mind that some dogs really react to disruptions in routines.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts