German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I are planning to get a puppy this Spring so I've been very happily researching along. I understand the benefits of having a crate, or at least a space, inside the house for our dog to call her own. That being said, there really is no good place for such a large crate. So I was wondering if we could do a "play pen" sort of thing instead. This way puppy will have her own person spot but we can either keep the crate up (for daytime while we're at work and overnight) or fold it up out of the way (company over). Would something like this be reasonable? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I know of a lot of people who use a pack and play type of play pen when they first bring a puppy home. Keep in mind that they're difficult to clean if the puppy has an accident and the puppy grows so fast that they won't be good for very long. I'd certainly get a crate if you can. I really don't have a great place in my house for a large crate but I did get one and is sits in my kitchen. I leave Deuce out during the night as he is house trained and sleeps in my bed with me however he does crate up when we are not home and it puts my mind at ease.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good grief, I just copied and pasted the link. The link that shows in the post though is totally different than what I pasted. Sorry about that, not sure how to make it work.
petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3432639

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, and puppy won't be sleeping with us. The three cats we already have aren't allowed to either... something about DH not having space to sleep when the cats get curled up with me. :p

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That would be the thought - inside the house

·
5,627 Posts
That will work to keep him contained to one spot for a while but won't work with housebreaking and there could be a point where he can jump over it or knock it over.

You'd be better off with a crate like this one:

There are plenty of threads on how to properly crate train if you search the forums.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
A brand new puppy can't cause much damage because their nails and teeth are still fairly tiny but in a few weeks, an older puppy will be quite destructive so I wouldn't even waste my money on a playpen.
I found airplane carriers quite handy because they're light and I could carry it from room to room wherever I needed it.
I think all my random crating also helped teach Jax that going in the crate is not the end of the world, no need to have a nervous breakdown, he'll probably be out in a few minutes anyway. :)

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
That will work to keep him contained to one spot for a while but won't work with housebreaking and there could be a point where he can jump over it or knock it over.

You'd be better off with a crate like this one:

There are plenty of threads on how to properly crate train if you search the forums.
Right :) That's the crate I have and it's wonderful. Very easy to set up and fold down.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
This is what I got, it is large but you can make it look nice. I have mine in my master bedroom and I put pictures, candles and plants on top.... Doesn't look bad at all, and I'm pretty crazy about my house LOL!

Heritage Collection

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Also you may try looking at travel crates, I bought one for travel (most hotels that will allow dogs require them to be crated in your room if unatended) they are made of fabric and pop up and down, when folded they are totally flat and can slide under a bed.

The only worry would be if your pup is a chewer, I'm lucky to have a very mellow girl who know only her toys are for chewing but I think she would be considered a minority as far as German shepherd puppies go.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone! Hubby is worried about a crate (and potential puppy oops) on the hardwood floor, so I'm trying to figure out where to put the thing. Is a 48" crate big enough? I saw one of the two doors with puppy divider on CL for $60 and would love to snap it up if it's the right size.

·
5,627 Posts
48" is plenty big. Make sure to use the divider during potty training. I have a cheap $15 carpet from Walmart under mine to save my laminate floors (it sticks out a few inches on each side).

ETA: There should be a crate pan inside so the puppy is not directly on the floor.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Go to Home Depot and find a rubber mat to put on the floor beneath the crate. We have hardwood floors too, and that's what we did.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Thanks everyone! Hubby is worried about a crate (and potential puppy oops) on the hardwood floor, so I'm trying to figure out where to put the thing. Is a 48" crate big enough? I saw one of the two doors with puppy divider on CL for $60 and would love to snap it up if it's the right size.
Tell your hubby he has more to worry about than just the floor...
If they go #1 & #2 while you're out, chances are they'll lay in it, then shake themselves off all day long till you get back (this happened to me twice... Looked like a poop granade went off in the crate :rofl:).
If this ever happens to you, I have flowcharts of how to handle it in both summer and winter applications.

·
2,967 Posts
Tell your hubby he has more to worry about than just the floor...
If they go #1 & #2 while you're out, chances are they'll lay in it, then shake themselves off all day long till you get back (this happened to me twice... Looked like a poop granade went off in the crate :rofl:).
If this ever happens to you, I have flowcharts of how to handle it in both summer and winter applications.

THIS is why I housebreak my puppies in a plastic travel crate. :) It keeps the mess in much better and is easier to lift and take right outside...to the hose. The you don't have to clean the carpets and the walls every time there's an accident.

Also in my house the travel crates actually fits next to my bed which the 48" clearly will NOT. Having the crate next to the bed for the first few weeks is pretty necessary in my book....it cuts down on the crying so puppy learns to sleep through the night faster and also aides the housebreaking process because you'll hear if there's any fussing so you can get the puppy OUT! Puppies that learn to mess in their crates because no one lets them out can be hard to housebreak.

I start them out there and then transfer them once they're pretty consistent about the whole potty thing to the big 48" wire crate in the family room.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts