German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm new here. Just adopted a GSD mix, Jaxon, he is 9 wks old. I am crate training him, of course. I went ahead and bought a larger crate so he can grow into it. It has a divider to make it smaller as he grows. Well yesterday he was mouthing at it and got his teeth stuck around the bars. I was upstairs in shower and heard what was not normal crying. So I came flying downstairs and it took me about a min to pry him loose. Several people have told me he won't do it again after that experience, but I am a little nervous about leaving him alone in that crate now. Should I just get another crate? Appreciate any suggestions? He isn't alone often, but I am afraid to leave at all.

Thank you!
Laura

·
Registered
139 Posts
My pup did that too, poor thing was NOT happy. She has not done it since but we did keep a close eye on her in the crate after that.

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
Hi,

I'm new here. Just adopted a GSD mix, Jaxon, he is 9 wks old. I am crate training him, of course. I went ahead and bought a larger crate so he can grow into it. It has a divider to make it smaller as he grows. Well yesterday he was mouthing at it and got his teeth stuck around the bars. I was upstairs in shower and heard what was not normal crying. So I came flying downstairs and it took me about a min to pry him loose. Several people have told me he won't do it again after that experience, but I am a little nervous about leaving him alone in that crate now. Should I just get another crate? Appreciate any suggestions? He isn't alone often, but I am afraid to leave at all.

Thank you!
Laura
My female was going into her own wire crate one time and her foot managed to slip between the wire at the bottome while stepping in and twisted it pretty good. I use this crate now. No possibility of getting anything stuck anywhere. No possibility of escape. Mine has even survived me totaling my truck.. its virtually undamaged and still in use so you have some piece of mind in transport too (dog wasn't in it at the time)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Laura: Keep an eye on Jaxon for the next few days when he is in the crate. The good news is that he won't do it again (basic animal instant).

Hunter: Where did you get that bullet-proof crate ? Looks like it's all stanless steel and well built easy to clean as well.

·
Registered
627 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
Its aluminum. Its your standard run of the mill working dog crate :) Very easy to clean, very safe for the dog. Bars too close together to get teeth in there. She actually seems to like it.. I guess the half closed sides gives her some comfort? You can get them all over but that one came from elitek9

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks!

Thanks for your responses. He hasn't attempted anything like that again. Appreciate the crate suggestion. That crate is awesome!

Laura

1 - 8 of 8 Posts