German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
some of you know i've been researching mals and french ring. i realized, to do french ring, i will have to buy a car, and i'm not planning on buying a car for another 3.5-4 years (part of my financial plan is not to do so before then).

but i would like a third dog (possibly i'm crazy, who can say
). i was gathering some stuff for donations for a new husky rescue, and the woman i emailed w/for about 10 days mentioned she had a mom and litter she was fostering.

my curiousity piqued, i went onto their blog and took a look at the pups, and really liked what i saw from one pup in the video - playful, but not pushy, totally fine if another pup won the play. he (and i want a male) seemed to be what i was looking for in a third dog, nice, middle-of-the-pack kinda guy - good for teagan, and luc. when i went to drop off the donations, i'd already spoken to her for a few hours - i asked about meeting the pups, and the little guy i liked from the video came right out of the crate and over to me! he climbed onto me, was fine being handled, and then settled into a game of tug w/my shirt.

so i was approved to adopt him. my bf gave me his support, which obviously is important to me. he met him the next night, we went to drop off the adoption fee, and the little guy slept in his arms for about 40 minutes.

you can see him here: http://siberrescueontario-maddie.blogspot.com

the mom is a lab/husky/? X, currently around 30lbs though she needs to gain some weight, and my bet is the pups will be between 30-40lbs. they don't have a lot of husky in them, but on the other hand, are short coated, which will be nice for the summer.

i'm adopting 'echo' (his name is changed), he is the white-faced pup.

b/c i already have an eco (after umberto, my female bunn) at home, i'm changing echo's name to neb, short for nebekenezzer (and yeah, i'm agnostic/atheist, but i've always loved that name).

neb is of course going to be a running dog, along with luc, when he gets old enough.

neb will be coming home in the week following the june 6-8th weekend (as i'm in montreal watching a french ring trial; i still plan to get a mal and do french ring one day, but the timelines are just a bit different now due to the car thing), he's not old enough yet.

june 27-29 neb is going to come car camping w/me, the bf, and luc and teagan. b/c i don't expect he'll be fully housetrained (i keep wanting to say littertrained!) yet, i'm planning to buy a soft-sided crate and line it w/newspaper for nighttime, and put that either inside the tent or in the vestibule (just some netting in between).

in mid-july, a friend and myself are going on a 5.5 day canoe trip - we both have adult dogs, and since 4 adult dogs, one being teagan, aren't happening in a canoe, none of the adult dogs are going, but neb will be coming and so will the soft-sided crate. i did some research and dog lifejackets come as small as XXS, so i'll be able to get one that fits my little guy. he'll be wearing that all day, and have his own mat in the canoe, and will be able to walk and run around a bit on portages and in camp (i know not-too-structured exercise for a dog that young). i'm hoping to introduce him to water/swimming (again, in his lifejacket, of course) on the trip.

i'll also be able to bring him to the bf's triathlons when he's had his second set of shots at 9 weeks, so i think that will be good socialization. and we're doing a 10 day (nice and easy for teagan's hips) backpack in september in temagami, so neb will obviously come on that w/luc and teagan as well.

i have a couple of questions, after the world's longest intro....

he will be crated when i am not at home. i was thinking of getting him 2 crates - one for the daytime, and i was thinking of putting it in the living room, near teagan's crate, so he can have companionship even though they'll be separated. obviously i have to see how teagan responds to him, though i think they'll do well. she did well w/luc, and neb will be a non-rank challenging puppy. luc is not crated and will also be able to hang out in the living room - i think he's going to love a goofy puppy! he's such a goof himself!

is that okay? or is it bad to keep neb near teagan's crate?

as well, i was going to get a second crate for nighttime and put it in my bedroom so i can hear if he wakes up (and take him out to potty). will 2 crates be confusing?

thanks!

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oh, and i should note, teagan is only crated at night. during the day when i am not with her she is tethered (10 feet or so) to her crate.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I don't believe two crates will be confusing at all. I often have crates in the car and in various places of my home, and sometimes playing the rotation, they all get used to going into whatever crate I point to. Best to get the pup used to it now than later!

Camping sounds fun!!

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
anyone??????????

obviously i would want to supervise teagan at first, even if neb was in the crate, though my guess based on her personality is that she'll actually be very good around the pup. she responds positively to weak(er)ness/helplessness.

but will it:

a) be confusing to have two crates? and

b) do i run the risk of neb becoming 'doggy'? i want him to be well-socialized with luc and teagan, but i obviously want him well-socialized with me as well. my impression on reading about 'doggy' dogs is that they are allowed unlimited socialization with other dogs, which wouldn't quite occur if neb is in a crate, but i haven't read anything about 'doggy' dogs when one dog is crated and the others are out. this is possibly a silly thing to worry about but i do recognize i've got a pack, so i want to be on top of it.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh! we posted at the same time.

thanks....i figured he'd learn it, day crate and night crate.

i'm really looking forward to the trips w/him! i love taking luc and teagan out, though neither of them has been canoeing yet. it should be interesting w/a puppy!

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I think you will have to wait and see how Teagan does with Neb. I know that when I brought home a foster puppy for the first time Basu thought he was an alien and Chama thought he was the devil incarnate. Chama is generally ok with other dogs but has always hated puppies because they climb on her and get in her face. She snaps and yells at them if they enter her very large comfort zone. Basu was unimpressed at first and a little growly, but soon grew to love him.

The point of that long ramble is that I don't think you can predict how Teagan will be with a puppy based on how she is with Luc. There is also the issue of bringing another dog into your home (her territory) and your pack (where she ranks second to you). Any of those things could upset her. Obviously if she is at all uncomfortable and/or unpredictable around the puppy then I would crate him far away from her. If everything is fine and dandy all of the time then it's probably safe to crate him close to her so he'll have company.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah, i figured for the first bit they'd have to be apart until i know she's behaving okay.

i'm guessing that she will be partially on her and luc (i did sloooow intros), and also on that i've never not seen her respond positively to appeals from weaker, or relatively helpless, people/dogs.

apparently puppies don't trigger prey drive (or prey aggression, more accurately with her, i guess), that has been my biggest concern. and even if they are good, i'm still not allowing them to play together for the first while, b/c of teagan's strength and the size difference.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
We have two crates.

Her "main" crate is in the living room/kitchen area where she can see all the action.

Her other crate is in the basement. (It is a nice, clean and semi-finished basement.) If I think she needs quiet time, this is when she goes to the basement.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i'm glad two crates will work.

i bought him an XS lifejacket saturday for the canoe trip (XXS was TINY! it would fit him now) but XS seems so big. still, since the store isn't ordering more, hopefully it will fit him at 11.5 weeks old when we go!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts