German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if I posted in the right category but since our fence is being replace Sasha has gone crazy (more than normal), still rocks her crate across the room. My trainer said she shouldn't be in a wire crate but a plastic kennel to reduce stress, and we are moving it to our room away from the other dogs.

I found this one, is this the right one? Otherwise, I will need to check with him tomorrow about where to buy one. We have limited stores in this little town. I want a strong one. I read the ASPCA one has a cheap door that dogs can bend, and Sasha will do that!

Here is the link ( I try not to support Walmart, but oh well)

Walmart.com: Remington Extra-Large Plastic Dog Kennel: Dogs

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I checked those on Amazon and they only have a 3/5 stars. One person specifically said their GSD could bust out of the door. So I didn't think those would be strong enough.
Have you personally had an active (crazy) dog in one of those? LOL crazy dog approved?

She is can be calm and loves the crate until another dog walks by then its Cujo crazy dog...ugh

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, and what is the best size? the 500 series seems so big , I was thinking the 400?

She is a smaller 65lb GSD

·
Registered
307 Posts
I got the extra large ASPCA one and it works fine with a nice sheep skin mat on the floor. I figured I would rather have one Bruiser could grow in because he grows so fast. He does just fine with it and loves it, it's his special place as he carries all of his toys in it to keep him company...:groovy:

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
A determined dog can bust out of any crate. The key is to create a positive crate training experience so the pup sees the crate as a sanctuary and doesn't want to bust out.

I have 48" wire crates for my GSD and an extra large Vari-Kennel for my Rottie. The Rottie prefers the more "den like" Vari-Kennel, but my GSDs like their more open wire crates.

I do not think either GSD would fit in a 400 series just because of their ears. It is simply not tall enough. I'd go with the giant Vari-Kennel for a GSD, just because of the extra height.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sasha is only in the crate at night, by her choice, we have tried to get her out of it but she has panic attacks by 11pm if she isnt in it. Her problem is once we are asleep she thinks all the dogs should be asleep and never pass her crate to go pee outside.
She screams and rocks the crate until it's moved 6 ft away. We can't correct this since she is on the other side of the house.
I posted another thread about it. So I want a smaller crate just for sleeping in, she can feed in the larger one.
I found the 500 series at a pet store here, go figure.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh and she happily stays in the crate if I put her in there for some quiet time with the other older dogs. But once she hears us She throws a fit like a 2 yr old.
I hope once I have her crate in the main room of the house this can be corrected easily.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
The main use of a crate is to keep the dog safe from themselves. Particularly when dogs are young, they have a tendency to chew on and ingest things they shouldn't. This can lead to surgeries... even death. If the human isn't around to supervise, it's important to have a safe place to keep the dog where they can't get into things.

My dogs all love their crates. It's a safe, quiet place for them to go.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts