German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we've had our little Duke for a week tomorrow. Not long at all but he is doing great. My question is to make sure I'M doing great haha.

He is waking us up at night to go outside and go pee. Being 9 weeks tomorrow, I know his bladder is super small and it's normal for him to have to go outside often. What my question is, should I be taking him out EVERY time he wakes us up?

Right now, he is waking us up every 1 to two hours in the night to go out. He wakes us up by whining a little bit and pawing at his crates door. We go to him, pick him up, bring him downstairs, collar on then right outside to pee. He normally pee's within a minute of being outside. He will turn around and go right to the door. He his then picked up and brought right back upstairs to his crate. So, no playing or real attention given. Only praise for going pee outside.

I guess I am worried that he will start to understand, waking us up means he gets out of his crate and gets our attention.

Is what we are doing ok? Or should we ignore the whining and bring him our at scheduled times etc.? Advice?

·
Registered
874 Posts
I am no expert but I think you are doing it right. My Roxy was 11 weeks when I brought her home so she needed out about every 3 hours during the night. I think puppies need to go pee..as long as he goes back to sleep when you bring him in I would think you are doing it right :)

·
Registered
874 Posts
Ps I am at 15 weeks now with Roxy and she goes to bed at 9pm...my daughter gets home at 11 and takes her out for a pee and then we don't get up until 6:30 or 6:45 ..she's like clockwork now.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
I make sure I really exercise and socialize my puppy during the day to wear it out.

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/development-socialization/111084-proper-exercise-puppies.html

And I pull up the water around 7 pm (depends on when you go to bed), never water in the crate.

When I go to bed between 10 and 11 the puppy is crated at the same time, BESIDE my bed. And then the key thing I do is set my alarm for around 2 am (or midway between my bedtime and wakeup time).

So as long as I know I took my puppy out right before bedtime and they peed (no free feeding for meals so it was also a long time before they last ate), I do NOT get up any other time during the night if my puppy gets restless except for when my alarm goes off.

When my alarm goes I quickly pick that puppy up out of the crate, get outside quickly where the only goal is the peeing (go 'pee pee' is a command that is very useful to start up with :) ) and as soon as my pup is done we have a small puppy party and them IMMEDIATELY it's back to bed for the rest of the night.

None of my puppies have ever had to go every 2 hours during then night and they quickly get crate trained and in just a few weeks I no longer even have to set the alarm because they can last the 8 hours.

:)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you! So, if we go to bed around 10, would 4 hours be ok for a 9 week old?

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Thank you! So, if we go to bed around 10, would 4 hours be ok for a 9 week old?
As long as I exercised/socialized, made sure they pee'd right before bedtime, and pulled the water up by 7 or 8 pm, ALL of my puppies could make it 4 hours.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
You are fortunate that he is waking you up and pees everytime you take him out. Just keep doing that.

He is learning not to go in his crate right now! Keep taking him out everytime he wakes you.

For puppies that won't wake you, I agree that an alarm should be set at regular intervals, and if you restrict water after 1900 or 200 you might not be up as many times.

If he starts waking you just to get out of his crate, then you will have to wait him out until he decides to go and then realizes this isn't fun time, but if I wake them up I better go potty.

You are doing it right! Don't screw around with what works for you and your puppy. You don't know how lucky you are after reading literally tens of stories on this forum about trying to get their puppy to wake them at night, not go, or stop going in their crate, etc.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
My concern with MichaelE's recommendation is that it's teaching the puppy that everytime it whines you will let it out for a fun walk in the yard. And in my experience my puppies just wake up for a minute and maybe a bit bored, or just restless, and with my method ALWAYS quickly go back to sleep on their own until my alarm goes off, so always getting up everytime they whine would NOT helping with the general crate training.

I just don't trust my puppies to KNOW that they are whining cause they have to go pee. Or just whining cause they are bored pups.

And since I KNOW my puppies have always been able to hold it for 4 hours by 9 weeks old (as long as I've managed them during the day and before bedtime) just waking up after 4 hours works well for us.

·
Registered
113 Posts
By what I have read here in the forums and what has been working for me....I'm guessing u r doing it right. My 11 week old KHALEESI gets back from our evening walk around 745, we then take her out back to give her water. She plays around in the house until around 9 , then lights out. She used to wake us up at least once before getting up at 545. Now she sleeps all through the night without a sound until wake up call at 545. She's great. Good luck. ;)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Because we have a doggy door the laundry (with large dog bed) is his crate/den -- he goes outside whenever he wants. However during the day we still have some pee accidents inside. I don't pick my dog up but I use voice commands "come" and he follows me outside and when he's outside I say "toilet" and if I've got my obs/timing right he goes.

Do you see any issue with this? Should it be a silent situation where he needs to identify "when I need to go to the toilet I should go outside (because I've carried him out)" or me as a pack leader commanding identifying and commanding he go to the toilet etc...

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
874 Posts
That's nice to know! Sleep is in the near-ish future! haha

yes , yes..it will come soon!!!! and if you are able..catch a nap when your pup naps..if that's at all possible. I even will take a cat nap when roxy naps in the evening before bed.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I didn't set the alarm but I'm a light sleeper anyhow..and also am 50 and have the bladder of a 50 year old..so when I would get up to pee ..I would just take Roxy out too..and then right back into the crate. It worked for us. I think it was only a week or 2 before we were done with that and now it's the water up at 8..quiet play until 9 and then bedtime. Daughter gets home..takes her out for last pee of the night and then we are good until 6:30 am.

ps .. I do give her 2 ice cubes when she goes in to go to bed at 9pm.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
It sounds like a lot of pee-ing to me. It's crazy he potty's every hour or 2 during the night. I would agree he might think he is on to something. Getting out of his crate but for him to pee every time makes him a pretty smart puppy.My 8 week old puppy just had her 2nd night in her crate. Went to bed @ 9:30 PM and we took her out. Woke us up @ 1:30 am and went back to sleep until alarm @ 5:30 am. Last night went to bed @ 9:00 pm took out puppy but she didn't potty. Woke us up @ 10.30 pm took her out to potty. Went back to bed until 4:30 am to go potty.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So, we have started to just take him once out during the night and he is doing great! Got me up at 6:30 this morning which sucked a little but he was a sleepy puppy after a very busy day yesterday so he passed out around 9...

Enjoying getting a little more sleep!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts