German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is Nymeria (yes, we're all game of thrones nerds) and during the day she is an angel. She bounces around, has a sleep and bounces round again before we attempt to put her to bed in the crate around 11pm. This is when the trouble begins.

I should point out that this is our second GSD (after we sadly put ours down a couple years ago due to old age) and our first time crate training. She is 8 weeks old and the cage is plenty big enough for her to stand up, turn around and move freely. We put her dog bed cushion in there at night and her favourite caterpillar chew toy. We make sure that she has emptied herself before putting her in the crate. Then periodically usually either myself or parents comes down to make sure she isn't waiting to go the toilet.

Tonight 19/07/18 is only her 5th night in the cage after bringing her home. After reading forums on other sites and very old ones here, it would appear that we need to make the crate a den. E.G: having her meals inside there and have other scented stuff of hers inside there. We are very knew to this and would appreciate all advice and tips you have.

Thank you,

Danny

Attachments

·
Registered
857 Posts
"This is when the trouble begins." I'm sorry, what trouble? The crying/screaming? Or the peeing in the crate? If it's the crying, you have to power through that. That's just part of the whole process. They'll "protest." It's gonna be anywhere from a few days to a few weeks before she gets used to it. As far as feeding meals in their crate...I know some sources say to do so. There are others that don't. I don't. I don't want my dog to think of his crate for anything but to relax and sleep in there. I do throw treats in there though. During the day, take her in the crate (with the door open) throw some treats in there. When she eats them bring her out. Do this a few times. Let her know that she gets treats when she goes in. Then put her in the cage/crate a little at a time with the door closed and throw treats in there. (When she goes in, treats. When the door closes, treats.) Then let her out when she's quiet. Slowly increase the time. Rinse..repeat. If treats don't work, try high value treats. Do it often. If you go to the bathroom, crate. If you go get your mail, crate. If you're cleaning a mess, crate. The more she realizes that the door closing is not a permanent thing, the faster she gets used to it. My current 6 month old pup loves his crate, he'll go in there on his own for naps. Also, if you're using one of those wired crates, put an old blanket on top and that covers the sides. Give it a little "privacy" for her. Crates are supposed to be like their dens...dark and comfortable. If you can, play some games with her. I have 2 crates for him because my previous GSD got too big for one. The bigger crate...I can easily fit it. So what I'd do is climb in and close the door, pretend that I'm having fun in the crate with a toy. It drove my pup crazy that I was in there. He'd bark and want to come in too. I'd let him in and we'd have a party in there.

As far as the peeing in the crate thing...I don't know. Never happened to me with both dogs. Anyway, good luck. Be patient. You'll have to suffer through the crying and whining.

·
Registered
15,997 Posts
Look up crate games. This works. (pretty much what tc68 said) Something incredibly good happens when the pup goes in the crate. Always. Like a special treat. However - and this is important difference -- And the pup is not shut in the crate but free to exit again time and time again until you work up to closing the door for a little bit. etc. It works.

Also - at night, crate by your bed. (with pup enclosed...)

BTW very cute pup.

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
I used a combination of crate games and a dash of tough love (mine would scream bloody murder when i left him alone in the crate). For him it was mainly because i was with him so much he hadn't had enough practice being left. So i did it every single day, when he was empty and exercised, and I did not come back in the house until he was quiet. It worked.

He only uses a crate in the car any more as I have kennels in the house instead. He is happy to go get in his kennel and sleeps peacefully while I am gone.

He crates fine as well, as an adult. He will often spend the day in his crate in my truck at a dog event. The only time he acts up is if I take both dogs dock diving and it isn't his turn. I don't have an immediate solution for that!

·
Registered
123 Posts
. . . The bigger crate...I can easily fit it. So what I'd do is climb in and close the door, pretend that I'm having fun in the crate with a toy. It drove my pup crazy that I was in there. He'd bark and want to come in too. I'd let him in and we'd have a party in there. . .
I did this with my first dog, people look at me like I'm nuts when I say that's how I acclimated him to the crate! :grin2:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts