German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this question pops up but I couldn’t find anything specific and I wonder if anyone can let me know what crate they have in a car/suv with a sloping back? I’m not sure about spending over $1,300 for a trans K9 cage if others have found a better (read cheaper) solution? I’m also not sure about sizing. Django is only about 25 lbs now but I expect him to top out in the high 80’s. I’m also not sure I’m keeping the car for more than a few years!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@HollandN i was thinking of a regular crate but I think I’d have to put the seats down so that creates a problem if all of us go somewhere. The back hatch slopes quite a bit.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I have a Ruff Land crate for my pickup. I don't know if it would fit in your car (it doesn't fit in my Honda Accord...although it WOULD be tall enough, I just can't fit it through any of the doors because I don't have a hatchback).

My GSD is 65 pounds and I have the Large size crate. They also make an XL and I believe an XL-Long. I see you're in Canada; they sell the Ruff Lands in sporting good stores here in the US so maybe you can find one and try it out before you buy it. I like the Rufflands because they're affordable ($300 US), and you can tie them down, and they seem a lot more solid than plastic Pet Mate crates.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@banzai555 thanks for the suggestion. I’ll have to measure it out. The slope on the hatch may still be an issue. It’s quite an angle. I also find my space in the back is a bit small generally. I wonder if I put the bigger seat down if the ruffland would fit lengthwise rather than trying widthwise. There’s 3 of us so I only need one seat in the back. That’s my limitation. Generally it’s only be me in the car so folding seats isn’t generally a problem. It’s when all of us would go somewhere we might have an issue. I’m just having a real problem dishing out so much money. My car is 3 years old and I decided this would be the first I didn’t drive into the ground so I’m thinking of changing it in another 2-3 years although I’d probably get the same car, just a newer model. I think I can order the Ruff Land online.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts