German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i'm curious.... does anyone use crate covers? Material specifically sewn to to fit the shape of the crate? I've been looking at them online because i'm being driven slightly crazy by my kids picking up and playing with the hairballs all over the floor that i hadnt managed to vaccuum up that day. The ones i've found online are ridiculously expensive and all kinds of stupid fancy. I'm thinking i'm just going to go buy a couple queen or king sized sheets and sew them up myself to be crate covers to help contain the fur that escapes. Plus it would help greatly if the dogs couldnt see out of the crates some of the time.

Also i'd like to get the tables that fit over the wire crates but nobody makes takes like that for a 48" crate. Unless i just cant find them. I've looked at the midwest tables and they only go as high as the 42". I know.... thats a pretty tall table but we could use the extra space! Anyone know if anyone makes tables that tall/big? I think it may be one of those rare times i actually let hubby make something to come in the house.... EEK!!!!!

·
Registered
391 Posts
I made a crate cover for Chrono. It was a great toy for him to shred while I stepped out for a few minutes! :hammer:
yep. I use an old quilt that is now almost gone thanks to shreddy mc.shredder pants.

I've considered looking into something with a heavier fabric (canvas) that wouldn't be as easy to pull into the crate.. or putting a piece of plexi glass or thing plywood just over the top to thwart the cover capers.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'm thinking a crate cover because it could be snug. We've tried the blanket thrown over and she's shredded it because it was loose. I would like it because it would contain some of the free fur and would also discourage the OMG PATHETIC ME!!!! I"M STUCK IN THE KENNEL!!!!! whining. thinking i'm gonna make a couple of covers out of some flat bed sheets.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
I have plans to sew a crate cover with velcro and elastic that will be snug and fit right over it.

You can get a piece of plywood and throw on top of the crate, drill some holes, add zip ties, then design the cover to fit over that for a table.

·
Registered
936 Posts
blanket over crate. Did not want to spend $90 for the one they make to fit it (wire crate) he does not seem to bother it. We leave about 4 inches open at the bottom for good air circulation as cool air sticks down there.

downside: Without the inside part he clinks his little paws on the sides of the crate now and then throughout night.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have plans to sew a crate cover with velcro and elastic that will be snug and fit right over it.

You can get a piece of plywood and throw on top of the crate, drill some holes, add zip ties, then design the cover to fit over that for a table.
see i've thought of doing that. but i need to get a table that can stand on its own as well. we'll see. it won't happen until we move in the next couple months but i'm definitely going to look into getting a piece of wood to put of the top just because my husband keeps putting crap on top of the kennels and Shasta pulls everything in the minute she gets the chance. but it would also help because we keep the kennel blankets near the kennels...

blanket over crate. Did not want to spend $90 for the one they make to fit it (wire crate) he does not seem to bother it. We leave about 4 inches open at the bottom for good air circulation as cool air sticks down there.

downside: Without the inside part he clinks his little paws on the sides of the crate now and then throughout night.
i found one i like that doesnt have hideous patterns on it and has the openings and such that i can keep open or close and it was only $60 but it would still be cheaper to buy a couple sheets and sew them how i want/need them to be than buy a cover. I searched all over the internet last night and that was the cheapest i found on the petco site. arg!!!! guess we'll see. I cant do anything until payday. OH! idea!!!!

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
We just use the kennel cabs for the girls (they aren't ever in at the same time, so they "share" a kennel), Dante has a mid sized kennel cab, and we have a 54" wire that Micah uses. The kennel cabs (the petmate variety) are SO NICE for containing fur, rain water, dirt, etc...

We do use a sheet and a blanket on Micah's but it's not for fur it's for rain water getting shaken off if we don't dry well enough during a downpour.

During the summer we usually replace the kennel cabs with a 42" and 48" wire, and I've thought about the covers too but they are so pricey. If you are successful making a nice one let us know how it turns out!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We just use the kennel cabs for the girls (they aren't ever in at the same time, so they "share" a kennel), Dante has a mid sized kennel cab, and we have a 54" wire that Micah uses. The kennel cabs (the petmate variety) are SO NICE for containing fur, rain water, dirt, etc...

We do use a sheet and a blanket on Micah's but it's not for fur it's for rain water getting shaken off if we don't dry well enough during a downpour.

During the summer we usually replace the kennel cabs with a 42" and 48" wire, and I've thought about the covers too but they are so pricey. If you are successful making a nice one let us know how it turns out!

kennel cabs? i'll have to look those up. But will definitely let you guys know how my homemade ones turn out. Have to do it by hand because i dont own a sewing machine. Sewing machines actually kinda scare me. lol. We'll see!!!!

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
They're the airline crates. I call them kennel cabs but they are petmate. We have one that is the furrari model and two vari kennels

·
Registered
65 Posts
I use the plastic crate also because the hair stays in the kennel. They have seemed to hold up best for me.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
That one looks like pretty stiff fabric and might not be reachable with a tongue. I wanted one of my dogs zot her tongue out like an anteater until if finally stuck to the fabric and then she caught it and pulled it in. I have seen entire coats pulled through little crate slots too!!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We've been thinking about getting one of these for a while now.

Pet Crates Direct | Casual Dog Crate Covers

thats pretty much what i was looking at too but just the cover. No padding. I just dont have the money to spend on a professional made one on top of the hubby complaining we never have any money and when we do he never gets any because of the dogs. I'll definitely save that link though if i am able to buy one. I'm sure Riley would enjoy the padding. Shasta.... not so much.

Samba ~ Shasta pulled not one but TWO king sized THICK comforters through the slats. I dont know HOW she did it but i was SOOOOOO POed. It happened in the span of 30 minutes and i dont even have a clue how she GOT the comforters from 6 feet away.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I don't have a dog that damages things (so far anyway). What I did for her crate cover was buy very inexpensive roller blinds (like the cheapest possible bamboo style). My husband cut them to fit and then we attached them to two sides of the kennel. One side is against a wall, and the other other side is the doorway.

We only fastened them to the top because we wanted to be able to remove them in case we needed to take her kennel somewhere - which we never have.

The amount of hair trapped between the kennel and the blinds is amazing.

I liked these because we can see in and she can see out. If you wanted more light blocking then you would buy a better quality shade.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
caledon, thanks! i'll have to look into that.

Got another reason this morning as to why i want the crate covers. Shasta apparently has explosive diaherria today. She explodes in the crate in our room.... all over her crate, herself, the wall 4 feet away, my box springs, my bookcase..... its awful. Hubby is spraying out the kennel now and we're breaking the rules by leaving Shasta outside but i'm NOT going to have an explosive smelly pooch in the house. Dog gas is bad enough. Dont need the gas from the other two PLUS the ick. Already sick. . . dont want to make it worse.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I was getting tired of the messy look of my crate with all of Sam's things on top of it. Ideally, I would like to get rid of it but he seems to still like using it so I don't think we're getting rid of it anytime soon. Knowing that I decided to try my hand at making something out of wood to make the crate look better.

This is what $150 worth of wood (oak) and a couple of hours turned out:

And functional too:

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was getting tired of the messy look of my crate with all of Sam's things on top of it. Ideally, I would like to get rid of it but he seems to still like using it so I don't think we're getting rid of it anytime soon. Knowing that I decided to try my hand at making something out of wood to make the crate look better.

This is what $150 worth of wood (oak) and a couple of hours turned out:

And functional too:

thats actually very cool. Thats something i would do myself.... but i'd also have the crate cover to catch the loose fur. I'll have to show hubby these pics. I think he's be thrilled that i'd let him build something. But it would have to look nice. When he gets the building itch it usually turns out.... not so pretty.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts