German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you use to clean your dogs crate? Diluted bleach? Soap? Share here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
Well, in the past couple of months, the small amount of times we’ve had to clean Eva’s crate was for urine or diarrhea. So we’ve used Mr. Clean and it, and have had no problems

·
Registered
818 Posts
I use vinegar and water. I am allergic to most cleaning chemicals so can't use them. If I was dealing with something contagious I would use bleach, but it requires a full 10 minute contact time to disinfect and has to be dilutes, straight bleach is actual less effective. Organic matter will inactivate it so the area has to be cleaned prior to using bleach if you are using it to disinfect a surface.

·
Registered
9,432 Posts
Lysol daily cleanser. It has the same ingredients as Vetericyn, hypochlorous acid, is safe and it works great.
For a quick wipe up after he eats, super cheap vodka, in a spray bottle. This is also great as a kitchen cleaner, little tip I learned from my mom.

·
Registered
30,962 Posts
What am I cleaning? General dirt? Or sick? Soap and water is really good enough. If I need a disinfectant, I usually use vinegar. I think there is enough evidence that we are keeping things to clean and putting to many chemicals back in the environment so I just try to keep it simple.

Now - if they are sick? I'll add bleach to the soap and water and then rinse well.

·
Registered
9,432 Posts
Our mothers must have been born in the same era, I use cheap vodka as well! The plastic bottles are perfect because you can screw a nozzle straight on to the bottle without having to worry about labeling!
You can also squirt some in your mouth...LOL

·
Registered
318 Posts
I would hose off or wipe with paper towels, then disinfect with bleach, then clean with water again for a good clean. Otherwise just baby wipes for small cleaning.

·
Registered
258 Posts
You're supposed to clean crates???

lol j/k. My dog's crate is a wire crate, and I run the vacuum over her crate pad now and then and it helps immensely with deodorizing/de-hairing. That crate pad ain't washable, unfortunately.

She's only gotten sick in her crate once and it was on a different washable crate mat. I rinsed as much as I could outside with the hose and then washed the mat in the washer with bleach. And then ran my washer's self-cleaning cycle because GROSS. (Next time I think I'll go to the laundromat.....)

I need to clean her plastic truck crate, honestly....will probably just use hand wipes or the hose.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts