German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some advice since I feel like we are doing everything right here.
We have a 7 week old GSD pup. She's incredibly smart. We have had her for 5 days and she's only had 2 accidents in the house (our fault) and goes to the door to be let out to go potty (I can't even believe it). She knows both the words "potty" and "poop" and will do them on command outside.
Anyway - our issue is the crate. I work from home and when I'm working she goes into her crate (42 inch wire kennel with the divider moved up to give her enough room/comfort). She's never peed in there so I think the room is adequate.

Well, she HATES her crate. We tried to lure her in with a treat on several occasions, she will go in halfway to get it and come back out. When we put her in there, she cries, howls, whines, barks and chews on the wires. Sometimes it goes on for over an hour and it's EVERY time she has to go in there. I have a radio on for her and a sheet to cover the crate so she feels like it's her den. She has a rawhide chew and blanket in there for comfort.

We ignore her and let her cry it out. It doesn't seem to be working. Am I just impatient? It's only been 4 days. I'm on a schedule to take her out and let her potty outside every 2-3 hours and at least that part is working. We exercise at lunch time and dinner time so she does get time out of her crate for adequate play.

I just feel like I MUST be doing something wrong. My last GSD didn't mind her crate, but we did give her more room and she did have accidents in it as well almost every day.

Any advice? I feel like I'm just being impatient at this point and it's still very early, and she is still very young.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
They all hate the crate at that age.

Are you making sure to wear her out with play several times per day?

Are you giving her safe chew toys and things to keep her occupied in the crate?

If so, I wouldn't worry about it. They all howl and cry and carry on those first few days/weeks. She just has to get over it.

If the temperature in your area is safe for it, you can crate her in the car for a while too. It's a good way to get her used to the idea of being crated by herself in a place besides home for if you have to go on trips, do shows or competitions, if she has to be boarded, etc.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts