German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My trainer was asking me to put Apache in a cradle and she pulled away. He took that was due to me wanting to take toys away.
I thought about it and its because I cradle her to do nails or put in ear cleaner, she has an infection now and its an ordeal to put in the zymox and shes not trusting me when I call her now. Should I not hold her for the personal hygiene stuff or what?

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I would work to make sure that good things happen while being mildly restrained not just "bad". I wrestled gently with puppies from day one in all positions in my arms and on the floor and gently pinned them for very short periods in play so that they would never associate being pinned with bad things. I used tons of treats to make ear cleaning, nail clipping, bathing, etc. all be good things and once it was done it was party time! So even though it might be uncomfortable or not so fun, what comes after is

Start with baby steps and make sure it's an extremely positive experience, some fight it tooth and nail regardless of what you offer but the foundation should still be laid.

Both my dogs have been restrained by myself and by a vet and have never had bad reactions so far, Delgado was more interested in licking the vets ear then the blood being drawn for his snap test lol That was his first time being restrained by a stranger unexpectedly and he passed with flying colours. The training does really pay off

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
Some dogs don't like to be cradled - others don't care. It's not a deal breaker.

Though most dogs during bite work are so worked up and focused on the helper that they don't even notice their owners cradling them, and will allow the restraint in that context when normally they would wiggle away.

If she associates craddling with something unpleasant like ear-cleaning, I'd just restrain her in a different way - get an agitation collar with a handle, or a harness with a handle to hold her back.

My dog is weird. He loves having his ears cleaned. Come up to me and puts his head in my lap when he sees me with the cleaner in my hand!

But for your dog, I'd work on getting her trust back, and for every one time you call her for cleaning her ears, make sure you are calling her for treats, for praise, for play, for just because.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts