German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just happen to be notice that Kira's lower Canines seemed very blunt. Not sure if this is normal, or perhaps she may have cracked both?

They both look the same.

If you have a minute, compare to your dog.

A google search brought mixed results. Quite a few had blunt canines, and some didn't.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I'm noticing it more and more. Pipers teeth are perfect but Zeus has teeth like Keira's. though he loves tennis balls and that's how he wore his down. Watch out for tennis balls they are one of the reasons teeth can get worn down. We don't let him play with tennis balls anymore for that reason. He only gets the rubber "chuck it" balls now

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She doesn't play with tennis balls, and I can't think of any other obsessive behavior with toys.
At most, she's had her share of Merrick bones. She's broken through a couple, but obviously wouldn't have used her canines to do so.

·
Registered
892 Posts
She doesn't play with tennis balls, and I can't think of any other obsessive behavior with toys.
At most, she's had her share of Merrick bones. She's broken through a couple, but obviously wouldn't have used her canines to do so.
Any type of bone chewing can wear down teeth. That's probably what's doing it then. She doesn't have to use her canines to do it but they will scrap against the bone. Probably wouldn't take long to wear them down if you let her chew on bones.

·
Registered
892 Posts
If you want her to chew on something let it be something softer like rawhide. Piper looves raw hide and I give her them a lot. Again no damage to her teeth. It's a lot softer and safer for her teeth. I've never liked my dogs chewing on bones so I don't let her.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just realized that maybe this is the culprit. Kira's had this basketball for months. Whenever she's out back, she grabs, chomps and runs for quite some time almost every day. This is really the only "toy" she truly loves.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Cody and Clipper's teeth were/are worn down, I think it was the bones we used to give them. I don't know about the balls, never thought about those they've gone thru bunches of those over the years! We did play freebie along time ago but only had a soft edge and cloth ones.Even the teeth between the lower canines are worn down, they'd chew on bones all different positions with their mouth!

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
I don't see any cracks, just wear and tear. I got one determined to chew on metal......and dragging around the hosecart by the hose is his favorite toy.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
Nancy you couldn't be referring to the tent eating Beau LOL

Anthony, Kira's look fine compared to Masi's,,she is a HARD obsessive chewer of jolly balls, I was just saying, Masi will be 5 in a couple weeks, and 150 jolly balls later LOL

Masi's canines are really worn down, she won't be hurting anyone with hers :)

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Yeah... I've got extremely obsessive chewers here. Zira with her bones, Duke with his tug toys.... and Storm with anything she can bite down on.

Ziras are amazingly not so bad, but still worn down, and Dukes are worn down a good bit too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts