German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are having a lot of trouble in my town with wild coyotes. A couple weeks ago one lured a Weimeraner away by playing with him, and the pack attacked and killed him. They have been killing other smaller pets as well and a black lab was killed by one in a surrounding town to me. I was walking Wolfie this past Monday afternoon. I keep to the main roads and populated areas. I would love to be able to take him through the many hiking trails we have, but I am too afraid of running into coyotes. Much to my surprise, in front of the middle school, stood a coyote! I turned around before Wolfie saw him and went the other way. I did notify the authorities. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to carry in case of an attack? I do carry mace with me.

·
Registered
158 Posts
We have a lot of coyotes around here. I see em two, three times a week. In fact last night I was walking through my neighborhood at about 12:30 and I saw two run past. Bear mace was recommended in an information pamphlet that was passed out in my neighborhood.

Me and Brutus have been sitting in my front yard at night and had one run right down our dirt road without so much as a glance at us. I'm a pretty big guy and Brutus' bark is pretty deep, I assume that's why we've never had anything close to a "close encounter." They always have seemed to run from us if they're in my back yard or in the desert when we approach.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
We have coyotes in our backyard in packs of 5-10 on any given day. :rolleyes: we've never had a problem with deaths but they do come up to our fence and taunt the dogs occasionally. We've also never had a problem with them overpowering us- usually yelling and waving the arms does the trick. Even in large packs, they're still scared, small, timid dogs.

I think a stick or mace would be fine if you're really worried.

·
Registered
551 Posts
There's a quite a few coyotes where I live. They usually only kill small dogs and cats. Never heard of one attacking a large dog or person. But if you're worried, it doesn't hurt to carry mace.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
:shocked: I didn't know they were so intelligent as to know to "play with and lure" a Weimeraner away! Nor did I think they could bring one down, though I suppose in a large group they could. We have lots of Coyotes here in AZ, they're even known to hop the wall into the yards, but I never leave the dogs unattended outside, especially at night. That's scary stuff.

I'm sure you know all this, but I found some stuff that may help:

http://www.ahscvets.com/Coyotes/Coyote Attacks_01-06-10.pdf

Apparently there's also a roller you can put on the top of the fence in your yard that acts as a means of knocking them off, so if coyotes are jumping into your yard, they hit the roller on the way up and don't make it in.

Everything I found just says that if you encounter one on a walk, just make yourself as large and as loud as possible. Bring a whistle as well. I'm sure the mace that you're carrying can't hurt either!

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
I take a pocket size air horn with me on hikes, there are a lot of coyotes where we hike but they always run away. Only once has one been a bit curious and stood watching in the distance used the air horn and it took off.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have 200 acres here and I don't walk through the woods without my rifle anymore. Coyote population has exploded, and the spring bear hunt was canceled 10yrs ago, so the black bear population has also gotten out of hand.
Warning shots are all I've needed so far, but there will no doubt be a time when it won't be enough.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
If its legal use fireworks like blackcats or other POP kind. They think its gun fire. We have them bad here. Even in our yard. We can hear them a lot of nights. They will be YIPPING and YAPPING and one or two of those and they cut off mid howl. And usually won't hear them the rest of the night. Or a cap gun or starter pistol. No bullets that way.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I agre Ba1614 I sometimes use my 22 to fire warning shots. I have a lifetime hunting/fishing lisence and I don't like to kill anything canine or feline. Never have yet and hope I don't have too. My parents have our family dog he's part coyote. It would be like shooting him :( I try to make eveyone happy. The farmer don't lose his calfs and the coytes get to live anoter day. BUT if it came between one and one of my pets I would put it down instantly! My pets safty comes first.

·
Registered
929 Posts
do you happen to live iin eastern wa? my aunts friend has a wiemerainer who use to run with coyotes and comeback with different animal parts :( then he would come back all beat up :/

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
LOL, yeah, do as the Governor of TX did, carry a pistol and dispatch them if they get anywhere close. A young GSD would be pretty helpless even against one coyote. My father's (granted, little) dog was badly injured twice by coyotes, so while I don't like hurting any animal, I would defend my little GSD just as he will me.

Short of that, I guess you just have to stay in VERY public areas.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I hike/backpack alot and have encountered most wild animals I could think of (with exception of bear, wolf, and mountain lion) but generally coyote's and bobcats and the smaller animals are easily scared off.

My best friends dog just got killed by a pack of coyotes apparently they hopped his fence and attacked it (though he was an old lab, definately couldnt defend himself).

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
My aunt lives in an area where there are coyotes. It may sound silly but they can smell fear. My family and I were at my aunt's house and my sister and cousins went bike riding at night(stupid idea) and they ended up being chased by coyotes. My aunt had 2 great danes at the time, so the coyotes were scared of them.

Now my aunt has a MinPin/Chihuahua Mix and Maltese/Chihuahua mix, she went from Horse to Rodent.lol. She still has coyotes near her, but she keeps her dogs with her at all times, even though her Minpin mix thinks she is the toughest little thing.

There have been coyote sightings near me, I live in the city, but we have a huge park with a nature walk and stuff. The coyotes have been there.

Best thing to do when you are out walking have a flashlight, mace, a cell phone, have a good hold on your dog walk near lighted areas, don't attention to yourself, stay in public areas, be aware of your surroundings, also get to know your walking paths and such. But most importantly since you are dealing with nature best thing to do, is if you leave it alone it will leave you alone.

Keep this in mind not just for night time, but for daytime as well.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you for all your tips. Unfortunately, I live in suburban Boston. There aren't any woods here, but a few hiking trails through conservation land. We are experiencing coyotes who are have wandered here and are starving. Since it is city like, they are getting bold and desperate. If I carried a gun of any sort, everyone would have a cow, and I would be arrested. Firecrackers are against the law too. The coyote I saw was about the same size as Wolfie, 60 lbs, I am guessing.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have been sticking to public sidewalks and well populated areas. I was surprised to see one in front of the middle school which is in a huge complex of buildings with a lot of people around. There was a soccer game and track practice going on across the street.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Thank you for all your tips. Unfortunately, I live in suburban Boston. There aren't any woods here, but a few hiking trails through conservation land. We are experiencing coyotes who are have wandered here and are starving. Since it is city like, they are getting bold and desperate. If I carried a gun of any sort, everyone would have a cow, and I would be arrested. Firecrackers are against the law too. The coyote I saw was about the same size as Wolfie, 60 lbs, I am guessing.
60lbs!? :eek: Are you sure they're coyotes and not wolves? The coyotes we have here are all less than 30 lbs from what I can tell, but they love gathering in packs, especially in my back 40. :rolleyes:

Consider yourself lucky though. We have constant coyote problems, we've been having a lot of wolf and hybrid problems lately, and for the past few years we've had mountain lion and panther/jaguar (I forgot the difference) problems. Nothing worse than sitting in the fog at 4 in the morning with a rifle watching a pasture of cows to make sure a mountain lion doesn't come along and snag your 5th calf this year. :mad:

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Coyotes can get big, they maybe Red wolves, or they can be feral dogs that you are also seeing and others see.

Yes, the coyotes are coming closer to city areas or very populated areas because alot of their home land is being taken away from them.=( It is indeed a very scary thought. Same thing with cougars/mountain lions and bobcats. My aunts neighbor had a bobcat in here tree recently.

Wolfiesmom how big is your backyards fence? Coyotes will jump a fence, they are very agile and since they are getting closer to the city and looking for food, they will do almost anything to get food.

You can look here for some tips and advice when dealing Coyotes:
http://members.desertusa.com/june96/cycot_qa.html

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
If you're worried about them getting too close to your house, I've heard pie tins strung up on fence can ward them off, along with wind chimes. I've never tried it, but I know when I get home late at night, all the coyotes stop hooting in my backyard and when I get out of my car and jingle my keys, you can see the eye shine going all over the place running back into the woods.

We've never had an issue with them jumping the fence, but I don't think they're at a loss for food either. It's a pretty peacful co-existence we have going on with them here. The large cats are another story entirely.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
If you're worried about them getting too close to your house, I've heard pie tins strung up on fence can ward them off, along with wind chimes. I've never tried it, but I know when I get home late at night, all the coyotes stop hooting in my backyard and when I get out of my car and jingle my keys, you can see the eye shine going all over the place running back into the woods.

We've never had an issue with them jumping the fence,but I don't think they're at a loss for food either.It's a pretty peacful co-existence we have going on with them here. The large cats are another story entirely.
The is reason they are getting closer to the city, they are being pushed out of their homeland, or their natural food source is low. But if you live in the country or semi-country then they will go for weaker smaller animals.

Here in Cali where people have wilderness in their backyard, there have been reports of coyotes jumping fences. It depends on where you live. Depending on where they are, if they are used to rabbits or deer they will go for the next best thing which is probably someones chihuahua or maltese. Recently a coyote attacked a young girl, I don't know think it was hunger I forgot the reason the coyote attack the young girl.

Big cats are another story, and so are hawks. Either way stay safe whenever and wherever you and your dog walk.

Also another good tip(s), if you want to go on those hiking trails go with someone, have a friend or someone with another big dog walk with you. A lone coyote will less likely attack you of you are with another person and dog. Coyotes are also skittish,talk loud too. Show you are bigger and more dominant.

Or try to have a peaceful co-existence with these animals.Don't bug them they won't bug you.

My brother was in the boy scouts.lol.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
I hike alot, across the street from me are a couple of huge fields that I use for tracking with Masi, and yes we have an abundance of coyotes here on the shoreline. I've run into one particular coyote a few times and he/she just stands and watches.

They are pretty brazen to:) They come up to my front door, walk around my fenced in yard, we hear them howling at nite in the woods behind the house.

I have a friend who's dog also was being lured off by a pack, but he decided not to go:) Outside cats are easy prey around here, we also have fisher cats, bobcats, a cougar and bear siting..Now I hear there may be a moose in the area..

Lucky us! I would carry some kind of air horn as one suggested.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts