German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Just wondered if anyone has had issues with coyotes killing anything ? Wondered if they make a kill, do they take or eat it ? A friend of mine has found 2 of her cats dead laying in her big yard (about 100' from the house) & is stumped to what happened ??? No blood on them or a sign of what could have happened. The cats were 5 & 15 yrs. old.

She does live out where there are coyotes running & has been a problem, not to her, but neighbors. I told her though, I feel if they were going to kill your cats, they would take them away or eat them.

Now we are wondering about would they kill just to kill & leave ?

Any advice ?

Thanks much............................

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
Wild animals kill to eat.

They have been poisoned by something. Someone in the vicinity is putting out some kind of poison. Maybe not for the cats, but that is the problem with poisons.

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally Posted By: Wetdog Wild animals kill to eat.

They have been poisoned by something. Someone in the vicinity is putting out some kind of poison. Maybe not for the cats, but that is the problem with poisons.
Thanks.................that's what I thought, would eat if killed ! The poison idea is a good one ! Maybe got a mouse or something. Thing is, her other cats (barn kitties) are all acting funny & hiding. This leads me to think they are scared of something.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
I agree with Wetdog, and maybe warn your friend asap:(( People are soo mean. They were probably trying to poison the coyotes.

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
Originally Posted By: LuvourGSsThing is, her other cats (barn kitties) are all acting funny & hiding. This leads me to think they are scared of something.
They could be ill

Sorry about her kitties

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
If there are coyotes closer to her buildings than normal, maybe that is why the kitties were acting funny and hiding.

When I had my horse, when the Coyotes were closer than normal she wouldn't go out in her big pasture, she just stayed in her small pasture.

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes......... they are hiding up in the barn rafters (sp?) more than they normally do.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
If they were killed by another animal, she should be able to see bite marks. If they did have bite marks, I would think dogs were the "guilty" party.

·
Registered
598 Posts
If any of the neighbors (or you) have a dog that barks excessively, someone may have put out poison or antifreeze or something to kill a dog...

Check your yard and make sure there's no laced meat, or anything around. Antifreeze (used to) taste sweet, which is why dogs are prone to drinking it if the come across it. Supposedly they put something in it o make it taste bad now, but if anyone has an older jug of it around, it could be used to poison animals.

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
We've lost lots of cats in our area over the years to Coyotes. I even heard a small dog get caught one time (it was awful). I agree that Coyotes kill to eat and don't just leave their kill. I too, think this might have been poision of some kind. In a case like this I think a neacropsy (sp?) is very important if this happens again. Perhaps your local shelter could do this if poisioning is suspected??? Either way, check all areas before allowing your pets out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts