German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so I was wondering if you can tell me if this is a coyote or German Shepherd?
0B3D959A-CF0E-4650-94CF-B89BCAAF5983.png
I caught it on my trail camera and I have neighbors that have German Shepherds but I also have a lot of coyotes and I can’t tell the difference on this one.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Coyote or coywolf, hard to discern size correctly from the photo. Definitely not a GSD!

·
Registered
967 Posts
Coyote. Looks just like the ones I saw regularly around the barn/pastures in CA. And a dead ringer for the one I saw trotting down the middle of a DC street a few years ago.:oops:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Interesting :) I think I read that the Northeastern coyotes are the largest in the country, hard to tell how big it is from the single shots though. I'm hearing coyotes here in the Midwest just about every night. It's mating season!

·
Registered
107 Posts
That’s a decent size coyote, we have packs of them howling and Fozz sometimes would join and they would stop and listen, it’s funny. Thank goodness for the fenced yards!)

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
When we eradicate predators like coyotes we cause explosions in rodent populations and hasten the spread of disease and the destruction of vital grasslands.
Especially as a hunter it is vital that you respect the need for these wonderfully adaptable animals.
I'm sorry for your kitties but for the animals it is not personal. It's just nature.

·
Super Moderator
6,025 Posts
It is sad to think about kitties being preyed upon.Around here there are plenty of farms and plenty of barn cats,most of which are feral and will have litter after litter until disease comes along and decimates the overpopulation.Or the coyotes get some of them.The cats keep the rodent population under control and mostly out of stored feed,coyotes help to control mice,bunnies(I know,adorable!),cats.So they do some good along with the bad.Controlling the coyote population is a tricky situation.Killing them is a very temporary fix as it leaves more sustenance for the others resulting larger healthier coyotes,larger healthier cubs...a 'catch 22'.
We've had feral cats take up residence in our barn occasionally.So of course I feed them and set up a box and blanket for them.Then one day they are gone.Hopefully off to a neighbor's barn but who knows?I miss them even though I know it's a temporary stay.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts