German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone have coyote issues in their area? What are your thoughts on what a coyote will go after? I have heard so many things. Most say they won't mess with a large dog or anything bigger than them or close to it. I also have heard when they are hungry they just might and that they do this by sending out a bait coyote to get it's prey to chase them and lead them to a pack where they kill it collectively.

I live and have lived in somewhat urban areas, my last house had 1.5 acres and 3/4 of it were woods. My last two dogs came face to face with one in the middle of the day and the coyote seemed not phased and just sat there while they barked at it. Of course I called them in. I really didn't worry too much back then but I am worried a bit now.

My new house is in a very densely populated area and the coyotes live nearby in a park or a leaf and grass town dump. I can hear the babies at night. There is one that cuts though my yard and it looks to be about 80lbs. Looks very much like a dog. I have installed motion lights everywhere because I read they don't like lights and they scare them off. This morning while making my coffee at 4AM I noticed my shed spot light in the way back was on. I didn't see what triggered it, but immediately looked out front and it was walking down the sidewalk in front of the house. I have a tough layout to completely fence in the yard, but I am thinking about it. It's 50% fenced in now. It's cold here and when he needs to go out for the last poop of the night, I stand on the deck and watch him Of course he likes to poop in the way back were this coyote cuts through. My yard is lit up like Fenway Park when I let him out. He does his business and I call him right back in.

Just wondering what your thoughts are on coyotes and GSD's. Any experiences with confrontation? Attacks? Face to face? I have thought about taking measures into my own hands (and it wouldn't be hard) but I think it is illegal and I also have a problem with it.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Frisco you are in new england? These are most likely coywolves you are seeing.

I don't think they would hunt or deliberately take on a dog the size of a GSD but if your dog chased it that could be a problem. If I were you I'd probably go with your dog and do last toilet on a leash.

Also it's hunting season here, don't know about you. I saw some guys unloading a dead one they'd shot about the size of my smaller shepherd. Right now I'm way more scared of the guys with guns than the animals themselves

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Frisco you are in new england? These are most likely coywolves you are seeing.

I don't think they would hunt or deliberately take on a dog the size of a GSD but if your dog chased it that could be a problem. If I were you I'd probably go with your dog and do last toilet on a leash.

Also it's hunting season here, don't know about you. I saw some guys unloading a dead one they'd shot about the size of my smaller shepherd. Right now I'm way more scared of the guys with guns than the animals themselves
Thanks, yes I am in NE. I think you are right about the coywolve, it certainly looks more like a wolf than a coyote. I'll try and post a picture. Unfortunately, I can't be shooting up the neighborhood, hunting season or not.

·
Super Moderator
5,874 Posts
An 80 lb coyote!?Usually they are half that size.There are coyotes here where I live and I've read the same kinds of stories.In my experience they will go after cats,small dogs,chickens.They give our property a wide berth and don't tangle with large dogs.I see their tracks in the snow and they never set foot(paw) across the property line where the dogs have it thoroughly marked on all four sides.If we spot one when we're out in the woods they take off in the opposite direction.
Right now during deer season a lot of folks that butcher their own deer will toss the leftover parts out on a corner of their property to attract coyotes so they can shoot them.And then complain about coyotes,foxes,raccoons,opposums,even an occasional bear that they are deliberately attracting.Makes no sense to me:headbang:

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
An 80 lb coyote!?Usually they are half that size.There are coyotes here where I live and I've read the same kinds of stories.In my experience they will go after cats,small dogs,chickens.They give our property a wide berth and don't tangle with large dogs.I see their tracks in the snow and they never set foot(paw) across the property line where the dogs have it thoroughly marked on all four sides.If we spot one when we're out in the woods they take off in the opposite direction.
Right now during deer season a lot of folks that butcher their own deer will toss the leftover parts out on a corner of their property to attract coyotes so they can shoot them.And then complain about coyotes,foxes,raccoons,opposums,even an occasional bear that they are deliberately attracting.Makes no sense to me:headbang:
Maybe not 80 lbs, but definitely bigger than Frisco who is 62lbs. I'm trying to find the picture.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Thanks, yes I am in NE. I think you are right about the coywolve, it certainly looks more like a wolf than a coyote. I'll try and post a picture. Unfortunately, I can't be shooting up the neighborhood, hunting season or not.
No I mean it's a dangerous time for dogs because of the hunters....

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Well, Im in urban NENJ and we are having issues. We have had like 5 confirmed bites this year on people, and quite a few dog attacks. Most medium/smaller dogs, however there was a confirmed attack on a Doberman and a few larger breeds.

Popular local little mountain. It's not surprising there were coyotes there, it is surprising they attacked.
https://www.nj.com/bergen/2019/10/2-separate-coyote-attacks-reported-in-nj-park-over-the-weekend.html

This one was stunning. If you knew the park, the mere fact there was a coyote in the bushes is very odd. It's a small urban surrounded by brick and mortar town. Was trying to rip the 4 year old child out of the stroller. THAT is bold. Cops shot it with an M4.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/14/us/coyote-attack-new-jersey-trnd/index.html

And then this lady:
https://www.northjersey.com/story/news/bergen/mahwah/2019/08/04/coyote-attack-how-mahwah-nj-woman-fought-off-animal/1917142001/

These are just a few of the stories. Yes it is becoming an issue here in NJ.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
I'd guess the ones I see are in the neighborhood of 50lb. A little taller than my smallest shepherd but lankier so I suspect weighing less than her. They are definitely wolfy looking

I've never gotten a picture but the ones I have seen look very much like this: Reddish, a little wolfier and bigger than a traditional coyote. I believe they also hunt in packs which coyotes don't really do?

https://images.app.goo.gl/ZcSGb5b6J9WQdNhDA

·
Registered
13 Posts
I live in the DFW area in Texas and we had some incidents in Frisco, TX where people will go run through a certain area and got attacked, biting peoples legs. I have not heard of any incidents recent.

A while back ago I was walking my other two dogs, small and medium size at like 7AM and there was this HUGE coyote walking towards us. My dogs were barking like crazy but it did not phase it. I did yelled at it and made a lot of noise too. At first I thought it was a stray dog, with long legs and really tall, def over 50 lbs. I live in an apartment so luckily I was close to our building where i quickly ran upstairs and it did not follow us...It was a really scary moment.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I'd guess the ones I see are in the neighborhood of 50lb. A little taller than my smallest shepherd but lankier so I suspect weighing less than her. They are definitely wolfy looking

I've never gotten a picture but the ones I have seen look very much like this: Reddish, a little wolfier and bigger than a traditional coyote. I believe they also hunt in packs which coyotes don't really do?

https://images.app.goo.gl/ZcSGb5b6J9WQdNhDA
It really varies. I've seen several coyotes go after a herd of deer one year, they got their butts kicked but they sure tried. We saw 3-4 coyotes but not sure if there were any more we didn't spot.

Coyotes will definitely go after dogs of all sizes and cats. A lot of people will say the coyotes luring dogs is fake but enough people have seen it happen up around here. I don't know what all the coyote behavior is like on the east coast but there is wolf and dog DNA in many of the coyote populations, albeit in general a limited amount usually as they'll preferentially breed with other coyotes. I'm wondering how much the dog addition has attributed to their lack of fear of people over that way. In Montana most coyotes are very fearful of people but they're also usually used to getting shot at and we're still pretty rural so not the same type of issues with urban coyotes I don't think.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hey! Since I'm a wildlife biologist I feel like I can actually contribute something here!

Not many people know that coyotes are not native to the eastern United States---that area was the habitat of the eastern timberwolf (north) and the red wolf (south). Both tend to be smaller than the western gray wolf. When European settlers trapped and poisoned and shot out all the wolves, coyotes slowly spread east to take over the niche. And now you have relict or reintroduced populations of eastern wolves and red wolves, and the invading coyotes are hybridizing with them. It's the main conservation threat to endangered red wolves and also the reason coyotes in the NE are huge and wolfy.

Honestly, if I were you, I'd carry bear spray. In Montana canids of all types aren't usually a problem because hunting has put the fear of God into them; out east, sounds like they're becoming pretty comfortable living around humans and preying on pets. Bear spray isn't terribly expensive ($30/canister) and if it's effective on grizzly bears (which it is), it's probably effective on coyotes/coywolves.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I'm south of you (DC) with lots of wooded areas throughout the city. Lots of wildlife too (e.g., deer, raccoons, rabbits, raptors, etc). Every 6 months or so, someone hysterically posts to the neighborhood listserv about the latest coyote sighting in their backyard. I've seen several myself, usually in the early AM hours when somebody has insisted that they need a bio break. Never seen them during the day.

I don't know if they're coydogs or coywolves that I've seen, but they're bigger than the coyote that I'd regularly see in Northern California. Also, they are NOT shy. They'll hang around and watch us in the yard until we go back inside -- which coincides with what hysterical neighbors also have said. It's a little unnerving. For lots of reasons, I don't let the dogs outside unless I'm going out with them. If it's late or really early, I'll take some wasp spray with me just in case. If we're going on walkies after dark, I take the spray and I don't go to the large fields nearby. They're not lit, so I can't see. No attacks that I've heard of locally, but I stay wary.

Shrugs. We're invading their habitat and they've adapted. Best to take precautions.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Well the "myth" of Coydogs is rampant around here. Fish and game maintains they have not crossbred though they have failed to show any documented DNAs on any of them, but we have packs of wild dogs in the meadowlands and in the large cemeteries in Newark, and coyotes in the same habitat (if you can call a burned out cemetery a habitat) so I am not so sure they have truly looked into it. Typical animal behavior in a typical habitat is one thing. But animals thrust together in an atypical environment will break typical habit.

The dogs that use to chase us in the swaps while we rode dirtbikes- they all looked like cartoon junkyard dogs. These are genuine poacks of feral dogs. They den and everything. There are also a lot of coyotes in those same meadowlands.

And the ones in Woodland Cemetery in Newark ..well, some of them looked way funny to be just a dog. There are confirmed coyotes and stray dogs that live in that cemetery. Once a year they have "Safe Day" at that cemetery. They go in and they round up the dogs and coyotes, pick up all the left drug paraphernalia, relocate the homeless who live there..and police it well for just one day so people who relatives there can visit without getting bitten, mugged, or worse.

What the researchers and Fish and Game say and what is, is not always the same thing. I am trying to find an article of a resident that caught a mountain lion on their trail cam..after like a decade of tons of sightings being dismissed.

An article on the cemetery in case anyone is interested.
https://www.nj.com/njv_barry_carter/2010/07/self-appointed_woodland_cemete.html

·
Registered
158 Posts
Also in general Canis genetics are like....SUPER complicated and weird, and there's still debate about the origins of North American canid species. And debate about whether the red wolf deserves to be an endangered species or is just a locally adapted subspecies of coyote.

Thus ends your pointless wildlife taxonomy lesson of the day. :) Thanks for making me feel useful!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Here is a picture. Zoom in and you can get a sense of the size. Broad daylight in my neighborhood.

Wow! Right there in the middle of a dense neighborhood during day. The coyotes I dealt with in Texas were basically as shy as a fox. I only ever saw them slinking away though I did hear reports of attacks. I know they are here in Michigan but I haven’t seen one near my property.

Regular coyotes, I would think wouldn’t be a problem for a GSD but that creature looks large and bold. Beautiful too. I would be concerned about that beast in my yard at night. Motion sensor lights sound like a good idea for coyotes but that beauty doesn’t seem concerned with light. I like the bear spray idea and stepping out with Frisco at night.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Well the "myth" of Coydogs is rampant around here. Fish and game maintains they have not crossbred though they have failed to show any documented DNAs on any of them, but we have packs of wild dogs in the meadowlands and in the large cemeteries in Newark, and coyotes in the same habitat (if you can call a burned out cemetery a habitat) so I am not so sure they have truly looked into it. Typical animal behavior in a typical habitat is one thing. But animals thrust together in an atypical environment will break typical habit.

The dogs that use to chase us in the swaps while we rode dirtbikes- they all looked like cartoon junkyard dogs. These are genuine poacks of feral dogs. They den and everything. There are also a lot of coyotes in those same meadowlands.

And the ones in Woodland Cemetery in Newark ..well, some of them looked way funny to be just a dog. There are confirmed coyotes and stray dogs that live in that cemetery. Once a year they have "Safe Day" at that cemetery. They go in and they round up the dogs and coyotes, pick up all the left drug paraphernalia, relocate the homeless who live there..and police it well for just one day so people who relatives there can visit without getting bitten, mugged, or worse.

What the researchers and Fish and Game say and what is, is not always the same thing. I am trying to find an article of a resident that caught a mountain lion on their trail cam..after like a decade of tons of sightings being dismissed.
Yes that's very true, although they do have documented cases of dog DNA in some urban coyote populations and there are also some colors showing up that are pretty obviously introduced by the dogs.

In Montana with the wolf re-introduction they have places where wolves are and places where they aren't. FWP will say there aren't wolves in areas that there are most definitely wolves as it seems that unless they've seen them then they aren't there officially.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow! Right there in the middle of a dense neighborhood during day. The coyotes I dealt with in Texas were basically as shy as a fox. I only ever saw them slinking away though I did hear reports of attacks. I know they are here in Michigan but I haven’t seen one near my property.

Regular coyotes, I would think wouldn’t be a problem for a GSD but that creature looks large and bold. Beautiful too. I would be concerned about that beast in my yard at night. Motion sensor lights sound like a good idea for coyotes but that beauty doesn’t seem concerned with light. I like the bear spray idea and stepping out with Frisco at night.
Right? This thing walks down the sidewalk like it owns it. Mostly at night. I'd like to take matters into my own hands but it would be an inhumane method.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts