German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, after researching and examinations, I have concluded that Apollo is cow hocked. Anyone else have a dog that is cow hocked? If so, are you experiencing hip problems with your dog? I have read that hip problems can occur in dogs who are cow hocked. I was just wondering about this, and about how common it is and if any problems could stem from this. Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Originally Posted By: Link's MomSorry but what is "cow hocked".
Have you seen a cows hind legs from behind? They kind of look like this )( (The knees bend inward instead of relatively straight - the opposite of bow-legged) It can be a serious fault. Happens a lot in horses.

·
Super Moderator
7,207 Posts
Tilden is.

I never knew there was a term for it (I just call him "slew foot"). I'm sure there are variations in severity, but I have not experienced any (hip) problems because of it aside from "clumbsiness" when he runs. He's a year and a half.

A friend of mine also has a 4yo WGSD, and as far as I know, they havent experienced any problems with her either.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts

STANCES IN DOGS - REAR VIEW
1 - Normal Stance
2 - Base Narrow
3 - Base Wide
4 - Turned-out Feet
5 - Pigeon-toed
6 - Cow-hocked
7 - Barrel-hocked, Spread Hocks

Hindquarters standing:
Left - Correct;
Center - cow-hocked;
Right - open-hocked.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The first chart is the same chart I looked at for Apollo. He is definately number six. He runs and jogs pretty straight, but when he walks he sorta turns the backs of his feet (heels?) in.

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
Cow-hocks have no bearing on hip joint conformation. A dog either has HD or doesn't.. it's not related to being cow-hocked. I've had one dog who was cow-hocked, she was also hips OFA Good.

Seeing as he's only 5 months old, it may just be part of the gangly growing stage and will even out with time. Pups of this age are very difficult to assess from a structural standpoint since everything is growing at different rates and often doesn't seem to fit together properly. So being cow-hocked now doesn't necessarily mean he will stay that way when he mature. He might, he might not, or he might still be a bit cow-hocked as an adult but not as severely as now. Have to wait and see.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, I wasn't sure if that had been true or not about the HD along with being Cow Hocked. My Dad had read it somewhere, and I was hoping that this could just be a puppy thing. Hopefully he'll grow out of it, but if he doesn't, oh well.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Originally Posted By: Chris Wildit may just be part of the gangly growing stage and will even out with time. Pups of this age are very difficult to assess from a structural standpoint since everything is growing at different rates and often doesn't seem to fit together properly. So being cow-hocked now doesn't necessarily mean he will stay that way when he mature.
Thanks Chris~ I was concerned about this same thing. I wonder how many German snowlines go through this stage because of their angulation…

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You know, I never thought that it could stem from their angulation, is this possible you think? I haven't read up on this, and I guess I should, but I only started thinking about this since it was brought to my attention.

·
Super Moderator
7,207 Posts
^ just for the statistics of the thread, my boy is under-angulated & cow hocked

·
Registered
166 Posts
Rajko is kind of cow-hocked, which appears to be a result of his puppy gangliness. I can see how it is a result of angulation right now, but I think he'll grow out of it, based on the structure of his sire/dam.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts