German Shepherds Forum banner
41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
33,003 Posts
A German shepherd is first dog in the U.S. to test positive for the coronavirus so I started to google because in Australia vets neither the government has mentioned his happening to dogs in our country but found this national geographic article about first dog case in US, I am really surprised this information hasn’t been shared here in Australia it’s pretty information for dog owners
This was from March 2020. When everyone was freaking out. I think if you dig into that further you'll find other articles stating the dogs were not actually positive. Dogs sniff...a lot...and the "positive" came from the dogs having the virus (dead or alive) in their nasal passages but were not actually infected.

·
Registered
71 Posts
So this is just one link I found, Did Omicron evolve in mice?

But it was still just a running theory based on the patterns of mutations. End of article suggests the theory that the mutation came from an immunocompromised individual.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
China is killing all pets that belong to anyone who had covid
I've heard about this since the beginning of covid. Do you know how common the practice is? I guess it's hard to know for sure what's going on in China these days. Considering that it's China, It does seems likely that if they are doing it in one place, they are doing it everywhere.

·
Registered
32,477 Posts
China is killing all pets that belong to anyone who had covid and how they kill them aint pretty(beating a little dog to death with pipes instead of putting them to sleep)-since US seems to following China it will be our pets next so lets leave covid out of our pets lives if possible-lets not give the politicians any ideas. My dogs gets THE COLD every year-they go outside to play everyday not stuck inside where it is likely a dog will get respiratory infections. I work with/transfer covid patients every single day so of course I have had it at one time and in very close contact with my dogs-no covid
Most folks didn't want to touch this with a pole. I remember when there was a rabies outbreak in China and they were forcing everyone to kill their animals or they would be pulled out into the street and killed, brutally. It is easy to say, "well, that's China, it cannot happen here." Maybe, maybe not. I understand that in WWII, anti-German sentiment was so strong that German dogs were brutally killed, even here. In England the problem was so bad they changed the name of German Shepherds to Alsatians.

I live in the country, and there is no reason why my dogs cannot be quarantined on my property. The problem is that it hard to reason with hysteria.

Reactions: Emilia C

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Most folks didn't want to touch this with a pole. I remember when there was a rabies outbreak in China and they were forcing everyone to kill their animals or they would be pulled out into the street and killed, brutally. It is easy to say, "well, that's China, it cannot happen here." Maybe, maybe not. I understand that in WWII, anti-German sentiment was so strong that German dogs were brutally killed, even here. In England the problem was so bad they changed the name of German Shepherds to Alsatians.

I live in the country, and there is no reason why my dogs cannot be quarantined on my property. The problem is that it hard to reason with hysteria.
New Yorkers killed thousands of dogs and cats due to polio outbreak around 1916. Thousands of cats and dogs killed in the London plague in 1665. There was also the British pet massacre in 1939. Estimates of 750,000 pets killed due to food shortage concerns.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts