German Shepherds Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I can't speak for anyone else, but it's been my experience that dogs get worked up emotionally when their humans are sick. Upset tummies in dogs are common when the humans are stressed. Not to mention all the weird things they get into. Yes, they can 'catch' human diseases so I spoze it's possible. But then, if their humans were immunized....

·
Administrator
10,021 Posts
A German shepherd is first dog in the U.S. to test positive for the coronavirus so I started to google because in Australia vets neither the government has mentioned his happening to dogs in our country but found this national geographic article about first dog case in US, I am really surprised this information hasn’t been shared here in Australia it’s pretty information for dog owners
relevant to this thread, but still….completely separate from the vaccine your puppy received. just to be clear.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Amanda Homan dog Arno passed suddenly and she had him tested for Covid and he was positive. She had Covid as well. Dog showed signs of severe respiratory issues but was healthy a week before. Arko was a senior. Amanda states she was going have a necropsy done for study of dogs with Covid. This was a few months ago.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
There has been some research done on this topic. Domestic dogs and cats have been proven to have been infected with Sars-Cov-2 in human Covid-19 positive homes. There is no evidence at this point that dogs or cats transmit it humans. Humans do infect pets with close contact (in the home) though there isn't enough research to indicate how common this may be at this point. These are just a couple articles from relevant health organizations. I'm sure there is more out there.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
Great link! Surprising numbers...

I was going to comment that it must be exceedingly rare given how many cases of covid there are, but had no idea that it was as widespread as it is...interesting too that at least in the US, more cats than dogs have been infected.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Great link! Surprising numbers...

I was going to comment that it must be exceedingly rare given how many cases of covid there are, but had no idea that it was as widespread as it is...interesting too that at least in the US, more cats than dogs have been infected.
I'm not a cat person but isn't there a corona virus strain that is common in cats? Maybe There is enough closeness in the strains that leaves cats more susceptible. Or maybe it's just cat behavior. I think cats are more likely to sleep close to the face of their humans. Spend more time in their laps etc. leading to closer, longer contact with respiratory vapor. It is interesting though.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
I'm not a cat person but isn't there a corona virus strain that is common in cats? Maybe There is enough closeness in the strains that leaves cats more susceptible. Or maybe it's just cat behavior. I think cats are more likely to sleep close to the face of their humans. Spend more time in their laps etc. leading to closer, longer contact with respiratory vapor. It is interesting though.
I don't know, but that sounds reasonable. Until I read that report I hadn't heard any mention of cats, and only one or two big cats in zoos. So yeah, that was an eye opener!

Reactions: Springbrz

·
Registered
8,912 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
There is evidence that shows the virus may have mutated in mice and transferred back to humans as Omicron variant. So moving forward there's a huge potential for animal human crossover.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
I would be really tempted to do a nose swab and a home test on a dog with a suspected infection just to see what it did. It might waste a test kit, but if one happens to have plenty of the stockpiled....or have one that's about to expire....it would be interesting.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Why? So we can pump some ivermectin into them? If they are basically just getting over it, why worry about it. There are so many ways that elderly dogs die. They all die of something. The last thing I want to see is a bunch of dogs with masks covering their nose and mouths when out and about. The way people are right now, they may euthanize their dogs or put masks on them. I put nothing past the hysteria of the general public. It's a virus. Is it zoonotic? Who knows or cares? It may not change how you act about your dogs, but it might make local government require draconian measures.
Just wat we needed a Karen GSD 😂😂

·
Registered
249 Posts
China is killing all pets that belong to anyone who had covid and how they kill them aint pretty(beating a little dog to death with pipes instead of putting them to sleep)-since US seems to following China it will be our pets next so lets leave covid out of our pets lives if possible-lets not give the politicians any ideas. My dogs gets THE COLD every year-they go outside to play everyday not stuck inside where it is likely a dog will get respiratory infections. I work with/transfer covid patients every single day so of course I have had it at one time and in very close contact with my dogs-no covid

·
Registered
249 Posts
I can't speak for anyone else, but it's been my experience that dogs get worked up emotionally when their humans are sick. Upset tummies in dogs are common when the humans are stressed. Not to mention all the weird things they get into. Yes, they can 'catch' human diseases so I spoze it's possible. But then, if their humans were immunized....
so true about dogs getting upset-it makes sense. ps you can still can get and transfer covid after your shots.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I would be really tempted to do a nose swab and a home test on a dog with a suspected infection just to see what it did. It might waste a test kit, but if one happens to have plenty of the stockpiled....or have one that's about to expire....it would be interesting.
interesting, to screw up the test-let us know how it with.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I live in a suburb of Chicago. In August of 2020, my GS got sick. Vomit, diarrhea, lethargy for about 5 days. I nursed her through it and did not take her to vet. A week later, there was a FB post in the town FB page from a woman who had 2 sick dogs with same symptoms as my dog. Tons of people commented their pets had the same issue. Vets in the area actually commented about the number of sick dogs. Several folks lost their elderly pets to it. Here is the original post; Log into Facebook

·
Registered
33,003 Posts
There is evidence that shows the virus may have mutated in mice and transferred back to humans as Omicron variant. So moving forward there's a huge potential for animal human crossover.
Do you have the information on this? Can you please share it? My understanding was omicron contains the common cold and the theory is most likely case is a person with both the common cold and delta is the original vector for this.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts