German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched the forum and couldn't find anything on this topic. I hope it isn't banned...

My family has had 3 definite instances of covid infections so far. My GSD got sick first each time we did, followed by the humans in the family. He had the typical dog covid symptoms the first time (vomiting, fever, diarrhea). He only had diarrhea, stomach gurgling, and digestive upset the second two times. My human family members have also had diarrhea, digestive upset, and stomach gurgling these second two times. Any similar experiences? His symptoms have resolved each time, but I'm just wondering if anyone has had similar experiences.

·
Registered
33,005 Posts
there seems to be a lot of anecdotal evidence. Nothing has been proven yet that the dogs are getting Covid-19. Just people I know who have had covid and then their dogs came down with an undiagnosed respiratory infection, one senior dog died from this. There are a lot of cases in CNY, enough that a vet was posting about it on their facebook page.

As an FYI - 30% of the whitetail deer in PA have tested positive for antibodies. A snow leopard in a U.S. zoo just died from a confirmed Covid-19 infection. I think our dogs should start being tested for it when the family is sick and the dog gets sick directly afterwards.

·
Registered
32,483 Posts
Why? So we can pump some ivermectin into them? If they are basically just getting over it, why worry about it. There are so many ways that elderly dogs die. They all die of something. The last thing I want to see is a bunch of dogs with masks covering their nose and mouths when out and about. The way people are right now, they may euthanize their dogs or put masks on them. I put nothing past the hysteria of the general public. It's a virus. Is it zoonotic? Who knows or cares? It may not change how you act about your dogs, but it might make local government require draconian measures.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why? So we can pump some ivermectin into them? If they are basically just getting over it, why worry about it. There are so many ways that elderly dogs die. They all die of something. The last thing I want to see is a bunch of dogs with masks covering their nose and mouths when out and about. The way people are right now, they may euthanize their dogs or put masks on them. I put nothing past the hysteria of the general public. It's a virus. Is it zoonotic? Who knows or cares? It may not change how you act about your dogs, but it might make local government require draconian measures.
I hear you. I suppose I posted this because I was grasping for some sort of comprehension of what is going on with my dog, but understanding anything seems pretty hard these days. I've also heard extremely little about covid as it relates to dogs, but I haven't been active on this forum during covid at all. I think I kind of hope it's just covid because that means nothing else is wrong.

I'll add that my dog is 5 years old. The first time he got sick I did fear for his life for a few days due to severity of the symptoms. His symptoms did resolve after a couple of weeks though.

·
Registered
Jazmine Auf Der Marquis
1,024 Posts
We keep distance for my dog from all unknown dogs and people anyway, so if she gets it, it's probably from us.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We keep distance for my dog from all unknown dogs and people anyway, so if she gets it, it's probably from us.
He might have gotten it from the feces of some other animal. I live in a suburb and he has plenty of opportunity to come into contact with feces from other animals. Since I've lived in a suburb he has almost no direct contact with strange dogs and people. He had tons when I lived in the big city, but that was all before covid.

·
Registered
32,483 Posts
My dogs are not off my property without me, so they do not have the opportunity to get cooties from other dogs' feces.

Reactions: SMcN

·
Registered
33,005 Posts
There are no known cases of animal transmission to humans. The deer and leopard contracted it from a person. The dogs that I know of that got sick where after their owners were sick.

·
Registered
32,483 Posts
I think with the numbers of households with pets, if the pets are spreading it to humans, it would be known.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I know in Australia our vet gave our puppy the covid vaccine before we even got the Pfizer vaccine, so I know in Australia they have a covid vaccine for dogs not sure if they have it in other countries though

·
Registered
33,005 Posts
Our dogs were all fine when we had COVID in the house.
I didn't hear of any dogs infected with the original strain. The people I know would have had the Delta strain and that strain was prevalent hwen CNY posted on Facebook. My vet thinks it's A coronavirus, that dogs get, but not Covid19. It is not kennel cough. Vaccinated dogs and unvaccinated are testing negative for that.

"We are experiencing a large number of dogs that we are suspecting with some form of respiratory infection. Many of these dogs have been at various daycare, boarding, and grooming facilities, but some of them have not. What is also frustrating is that some of these dogs are coming up negative for the more common respiratory pathogens that we can check for. This makes us concerned about a new pathogen in our area. Clinical signs tend to start 5-7 days after exposure, and the dogs tend to start coughing extremely hard to the point where they will vomit up phlegm. If your pet is experiencing these signs, we would recommend getting them evaluated. As I said, it is very frustrating as some of the pets that we have tested have come back with positive results, and others came back negative. In addition, we have had cases where multiple pets in the home are affected, and other times where only one pet in the household will be affected. This can also indicate that there are multiple different pathogens out there! At this time, all we can do is tell everyone to stay safe and minimize exposure to other pets as much as possible. We are taking extra cleaning precautions in our kennels, doing our best to reduce any potential risks. Unfortunately, as we are all aware of our own current health risks, there is nothing that is a perfect guarantee. We will continue to do our best to keep you updated and your pets safe. "

·
Administrator
10,027 Posts
I know in Australia our vet gave our puppy the covid vaccine before we even got the Pfizer vaccine, so I know in Australia they have a covid vaccine for dogs not sure if they have it in other countries though
you mention your dog was a puppy…. there is a canine coronavirus vaccine that is a part of their normal series, not related to covid.

·
Registered
33,005 Posts
First...the vaccine is not a "covid" vaccine. It's a coronavirus. The dogs are not getting "covid". And yes, all countries have the coronavirus vaccine. It's not commonly given because the disease is not prevalent. My vet made the joke that "it's a vaccine looking for a disease".

·
Registered
32 Posts
Is it really bad in America regarding this coronavirus for dogs currently? Sorry I must of not understood the above comments properly. Is it really mentioned by vets in America now? I am just thinking in Australia our case numbers for humans for covid is rising but I haven’t heard any news about pets being in danger or any email from the vets in Australia regarding coronavirus. Should this be a question I should email my vet we go to in Australia?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I didn't hear of any dogs infected with the original strain. The people I know would have had the Delta strain and that strain was prevalent hwen CNY posted on Facebook. My vet thinks it's A coronavirus, that dogs get, but not Covid19. It is not kennel cough. Vaccinated dogs and unvaccinated are testing negative for that.
My dog first became infected and got very sick at the end of July 2021 when delta was taking off in my area.

·
Administrator
10,027 Posts
Is it really bad in America regarding this coronavirus for dogs currently? Sorry I must of not understood the above comments properly. Is it really mentioned by vets in America now? I am just thinking in Australia our case numbers for humans for covid is rising but I haven’t heard any news about pets being in danger or any email from the vets in Australia regarding coronavirus. Should this be a question I should email my vet we go to in Australia?
canine coronavirus has absolutely nothing to do with covid19 / SARS-CoV-2 or any of the variants. vets in America aren’t mentioning it anymore than before. As Jax said, it’s not a prevalent disease.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts