German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up this book a while ago. It's really awesome- has a picture for pretty much any outward behavior. Recently though, Pimg has been displaying this behavior that I can't quite place. Unfortunately, it's not in the book either. The best I could describe it would be an exaggerated eye/muzzle cover. Something like this:

It happens a lot if she is in another room sleeping and I come in the room to pet her or something (where I wake her up). It's almost like an exaggerated stretch combined with an eye cover kind of behavior. Hard to describe really. I would say it generally happens when she is in a very relaxed state and maybe I try to get her to do something she doesn't want.

A great example would be this: Often, she lays across my bed width-wise. When I go to get in bed, I ask her to move so that she will reposition her body length-wise. Often, she will resist my call and not want to move. I can raise my voice and lower my tone (use a more authoritative tone, so to speak) and she will do this eye cover thing. After this, she will eventually comply and move her body. This is why I was thinking perhaps it's a displacement, submission, or appeasement signal. She's never done it during excitement or at play.

Thoughts...?

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No behaviorists in the house, or this was just a dumb question?

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
I have no idea. Why my dogs do it it usually means their face itches. Maybe it's just a funny little mannerism of hers.

By the way, I'm so glad you provided a pronunciation key for your dog's name.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Not a behaviorist but it seems like she is doing this to avoid having to move. She may think it is her "cute" look so you won't make her move? I really have no solid answer except that she may be avoiding having to do something.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
By the way, I'm so glad you provided a pronunciation key for your dog's name.
It's fun to hear people try to say it out loud for the first time. ;)

Not a behaviorist but it seems like she is doing this to avoid having to move. She may think it is her "cute" look so you won't make her move? I really have no solid answer except that she may be avoiding having to do something.
Probably right. I figured it was some kind of displacement signal, something like: "Oh dad... pleeeeeeaaaasssseeee don't make me move!" haha! I just wondered if any of you had similar behavior displayed in your dogs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts