German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few questions.

First does anyone have any suggestions on a motion sickness med. i can give my pup when going in cars. He starts out ok and then throws up everywhere. I dont feed him if i know i'm taking him in a car but still seems to throw up and i dont drive all crazy. Also will he eventually grow out of it because we plan on taking him from Delaware to Florida in Oct. and he will be 6 months old and dont want him throwing up all over the place.

Second is the drug invermectin(sp?) its the active ingredient in heartguard. Instead of paying $50+ a month for heartguard i want to buy a bottle of invermectin and give it to him that way but dont know how much or when to start giving him that considering it would be more concentrated than heartguard and he will be around 16 or 17wks old. Does anyone do this and if you do how much should i give him to start out and then when and by how much to increase it by.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
You're pup is really young. I think these questions are better answered by your vet. There are some over-the-counter items available for motion sickness but I hesitate to suggest anything for a dog so young since I'm not a vet (nor do I play one on TV
)

As for the Ivermectin, that goes based on weight. There should be guidelines with the medication. Again, check with your vet or the medication distributor. You're not paying $50 per month - Heartgard is sold in a box of 6 therefore you're getting six months of heart worm protection for that $50. Once your dog hits 6 months or so, he'll most likely be over 51 pounds so you can purchase a full box. It's just when they're pups that single doses are purchased due to them still growing. (My dog is female and she was 53 pounds about 2 weeks before turning 6 months).

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
Ou vet actually sell us the Rocky size (white box) over 50 something lbs maybe? Anyways, he has given us a schedule on how to break down the bigs ones. We ony buy the once size and normally within several months the pups are on the same dosage.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you see i was under the impression that when you buy heartguard that it is packaged like frontline, for only 3 months, but if its $50 for six months i mine as well save myself the trouble and do it like that. Thanks for your responses

Does anyone have any expierence givin their pup motion sickness med? I am also going to call and ask my vet.

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
jdp2134, first lets break down the motion sickness. I have some questions, does the pup ride in a crate or just free in the vehicle. Have you tried any desensitizing program, where you just take short little trip and have them be very fun and rewarding. My DeeDee had problems with this and we actually had to start by just getting in the vehicle and backing out of the garage. Then we graduated to out the driveway and back in the driveway. Most sickness is caused by stress, there are a few dogs that get sick from the motion, for those usually have them riding in a crate with a sheet draped over the back and the sides so they can only look out the front fixes the problem.

Next with heart worm preventative, with one dog it is a lot of hassle not to do the pill form. Next there are different mixes of Ivermectin and one is ok and the other isn't. Also you use so very little that with one dog it isn't that big of a savings. Overdosing by doing it yourself is a big concern. The bottle of stuff I buy is $35.00, but with any medication it has an expiration date. Talk to your Vet about the dosage if you want to do this or you might find some information on the Internet, but be careful as with any information on the Internet it might not be correct. I am not a Vet or your Vet so I don't feel comfortable giving you the mixture or dosage amount. When I had one dog I used the pills from the Vet, when I had two dogs I used the pills from the Vet, it was only when I reached three dogs that I started using the other.

Val

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He free rides in the backseat as that seems to be a little more stable for him than the front. Yes we have done the short trips, Shoppette( i live on base) to a friends house, my wifes work down the road petsmart which is bout 20 min away and ironically he hasnt ever thrown up on the way to petsmart. Caused by stress so does that mean my dog could have bad nerves or is it a puppy thing?

I will probably just do the pill as i also had the concern in overdosing and now that it has been brought to my attention that it comes in a 6 pack im happy about that.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I've use ivermectin in the form of a paste intended as a horse de-wormer. You can get it for about $8 from Tractor Supply Co and the tube will still be plenty full when it expires after a year. The trick is that it's not just simple math done by weight. The concentrations of the drug are different. Like Val said, check with a vet on doing the math right based on the concentrations. I've used it with no problems and the breeder has always used it, but I can't tell you exactly what to do over the Internet. You might get a different one with a different concentration than I have.

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
There is also brands like Iverhart which are cheaper brands but do the same thing. I paid $37 for a 6 month pack of Iverhart Max and it takes care of heartworms, roundworms, hookworms and tapeworms. It's a little harder to give than Heartguard (At least with my dog. It's a pill instead of a chewable treat) but nothing a little cheese can't solve. :p And you tend to save a little buying the 12 packs. (Though you'd have to wait until your dogs bigger to start buying those)

No ideas for the sickness though.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
I forgot (now that I'm a bit more awake) about Tri-Heart. It is the generic of Heartgard, it's a chewable, pork based not beef based. Where I work we sell them for around $20 for a 6 pack. Where are you located? You said you live "on base".

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
jdp2134, short fun little trips usually help a pup get over the car sickness thing. I wouldn't be concerned about nerves just because I had a pup that was getting car sick. Make sure the places you stop aren't stressing the pup, if there is one place that stresses the pup then don't go there for a few weeks.

You might want to try a few Ginger Snap cookies before the ride or crystallized Ginger with the sugar all rubbed off. There is an Herbal Product called Rescue Remedy that might help for your long trip in Oct.

Val

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I was going to suggest a small amount of food before traveling. Lucy started throwing up on the way to Schutzhund after I got my smaller vehicle and never any other time. She never traveled on an empty stomach any other time either- after Schutzhund she was so full of hot dogs but never got sick.
My trainer suggested I give her a small meal before we leave. It worked.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
take your dog on short rides a couple of times a day. if you live in the city give a ride around the block. if you live in the country take him for a 1/2 mile round trip. when you take him for a ride time the distance so when he throws up you'll have a general distance to go by. i've never used motion sickness medicine. i like the short ride a couple of times a day method. talk to your Vet before giving your dog any medicine.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Originally Posted By: Lucina.....after I got my smaller vehicle and never any other time.
The type of vehicle CAN make a HUGE difference. (Not that I am saying anyone should sell their vehicle and buy a new one because the current one makes the dog sick. Though that WOULD be a cute answer to the question "Why do you want/need a new vehicle.)

Diva has ridden in a lot of different vehicles in her 10 years. The ONLY ones that have made her "pukey" were a Linclon Town Car and a Cadillac Coupe de Ville. Both were "boats" and rode like a boat. Just going 10 miles in one of those would make her have a "drool puddle" from the nausiousness(sp). But she could ride hunderds of miles in a 4x4 and be TOTALLY fine. The "rocking" motion of a "luxury car" didn't agree with her, but a bouncy, more "jaring" ride doesn't bother her at all. Funny thing is, I am the EXACT same way. I couldn't wait until we got rid of the "boats because I felt like I was going to HURL everytime I had to ride in or drive one.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Also, as Lisa said: Food in the belly works for some. For others, they do better on an empty stomach. I would jsut experiment and see if either one makes a difference.

AND, some dogs do better if they CAN see out the window and others do better if they CAN'T see out.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
Ivermectrin is a drug and you want to be careful. Collies in particular can be killed by it. I know, my sister in law who has horses and who had a rough collie (Merlin), killed it giving it horse wormer -- ivermectrin.

If you have one dog, ante up and get the heartgard or iverheart. Otherwise get Advantage Multi or Revolution which covers heart worm and fleas. Revolution can be used every six weeks for heart worm prevention, and it prevents fleas as well in that time frame.

Expiration dates are not really all that critical. People buy the expired wormers for their horses for cheap, and so far no one has complained about problems. I suppose it is possible, but then ANYTHING is possible. I figure if you are within a year of the expiration date you are probably ok. Just, I would hate to see you cause your dog a problem for a few dollars savings.

I have eight dogs, my parents own a tack room and I can get wormer at cost. But I buy the stuff from the vet. Sorry, some people feel comfortable using the horse products on their dogs. I will use fly spray that says it can be used for dogs. But not wormer.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
Originally Posted By: jdp2134Yea i live in Dover Delaware im in the Air Force.
That's what I assumed when you said in your food post you are in Del. I worked at McGuire for a time, still have a few good friends there (once you get to McGuire it's like a rat in a maze.....you can't leave) and elsewhere around the country now.

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
selzer, I don't use expired product for myself and I don't use them for my animals. Expiration dates are put on products for a reason, it means that some chemical in the compound has been noted to change or deteroriate. The first thing any manufacturer will ask when there is a product complaint is what is the Expiration Date.

If people wish to buy and use expired products that is fine, but I wouldn't advise it.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
There are several breeds of dogs in addition to the Collie which can have problems with ivermectin including the GSD, some of which carry the mutant/mutant MDR1 gene. According to the Washington State University, Collies, GSDs, Shelties, Aussies, OESs, Long-Hair Whippets, Silken Windhounds and various mixed breeds have had mutant/mutant test results.
http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/depts-vcpl/

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all your posts. I will go ahead and just stick with the heartguard. Its easier and safer and i only have one dog so its not a big deal. I figure i have a couple of months to expierment with how to not have him throw up so it should be enough time come my trip in Oct.........Hopefully

1 - 20 of 21 Posts