German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
sorry if these have been addressed somewhere else or if this isn't the right place. For the most part things are moving along nicely with Roxy -- she's 13 weeks old.
Here are my concerns. She came from a farm that was way away from vehicle traffic. I am trying to limit my walks with her to just my road until all of her shots are done ( in 3 weeks) ...but even with us only having 4 houses on our road...she still bucks up and wants to run for home when she sees a car out on the main road. This worries me a bit. We do start classes on the 22nd of this month so I am hoping some of the skittishness will work it's way out.

so question 1 -- is this a normal thing? especially with a dog coming from an off the road farm?

question 2 -- do puppies this age act low key? The vet gave her a clean bill of health..remarks on how alert she is...but also commented that she's not the hyper puppy, WE are low key here. Tend to spend our time in our own pack... ( aka we don't host parties and stuff) ...we just kind of chill in our own ways here and most of our animals kind of take to that....but not this young. Can she already have figured out this is a relaxed atmosphere? We are active..but we are kind of chilled out active.

did that make any sense?

I thought maybe she is just going through a growth spurt? She's slept more than she hasn't today. Has ate normal and had a couple of play bursts but for the most part seems to be happy chillin' with me in the kitchen.

ps ...my best friend lives one acre over...so she came over today ..Roxy barked a couple of times to tell me somebody was here...I let her in..Roxy waited for me to give the ok and than climbed into my besties lap.

then one more : I am a stay at home mom and zoo keeper ;) ...so I'm gone long enough during the day to run the one mini to his job and then stop at the grocery store ( most everyday) ...when I put Roxy in her kennel I try to give her a kong stuffed with treats to keep her busy. I quietly leave...get to my car and hear the howling has already started...I get home MAYBE an hour to 1 1/2 hours later ( at the most) and the howling is still going on. Is this a puppy thing? GSD thing? Our schipperke did that for maybe a week after we brought him home and then he stopped. I am seeing no signs of this howling stopping and it makes me feel guilty to leave her even for a short trip.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Our dog went through a fear phase where she did not want to walk beyond 2-3 houses down the street. She's 3 years old now, and still loves being home. As far as the cars going by, could you try distracting with treats or a toy as the cars approach?

When drive to someone's job, can you bring your pup in the car, crated? Can you try leaving your dog crated for 15 minutes each day for a few days, then keep on extending the time to like 20, 30 minutes and see how she reacts to gradually being on her own?

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gretchen -- those are good ideas!!! Thank you. I think i will try that time/crate thing tomorrow. I can just walk around outside or something and then come back ..so she knows I'm coming right back. For the most part the only other time she is in the crate is when it's bedtime..and for that she knows it's time to go to bed and goes right to sleep ..but she has to know when I'm leaving ....mom leaves..howling starts .
When I don't have to stop at the store I have been taking her with me when I take son to work and pick him up...I need to do the crate though and not try to harness her in a seat belt cuz then I spend too much time looking back at her and not paying attention to driving.

We have an acre of ground ..still semi close to neighbors on both sides so I've been trying to sit out there when they come and go so she senses their cars...but still no go. I did take her out and walk our yard while my husband was mowing grass and just sat down with her as he rode past us so she knows it won't hurt her. She did pretty good with that...then I got the treats and clicker and walked her around as he mowed. ..baby steps..I just gotta remember that.

·
Registered
624 Posts
My dog Cubby ran away the first time I bought her home - you can't expect a dog to recognize new surroundings as home for awhile.

You need to give the dog time to adjust and become a best friend and companion. This doesn't happen over night.

Welcome to the forum!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts