German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As soon as I leave the room. Timber puts his cute little GSD paws up on the counter or table to see what he can find. He knows the OFF command very well.
But my question is this
So Ive told him OFF. He still continues to do it when Im not looking. How do you officially teach them that off means off?
Thanks!

·
Registered
262 Posts
How old is Timber ? Like most other bad behavior with pets, you will have to catch them in the act and correct it as often as you can. Bottom line is you have to catch them doing it and correct it instantaneously. The only advice I can give you is be consistent and it may take a few more weeks. There is no empirical data that shows that bad behavior can be corrected permanently in 10 days or 15 days (like the 7 minute ab commercials). It's different for each dog and the key is keep correcting consistently and then pray your pet learns it sooner than later.

·
Registered
33 Posts
How old is Timber ? Like most other bad behavior with pets, you will have to catch them in the act and correct it as often as you can. Bottom line is you have to catch them doing it and correct it instantaneously. The only advice I can give you is be consistent and it may take a few more weeks. There is no empirical data that shows that bad behavior can be corrected permanently in 10 days or 15 days (like the 7 minute ab commercials). It's different for each dog and the key is keep correcting consistently and then pray your pet learns it sooner than later.
Good Advise, My GSD had this same problem except with my window sills. She knows the off comand very well also. But catching her in the act and correcting her as she was doing it broke her habit in about a week or so.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.