German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some may remember from my other thread, I was set to get a WL GSD from a breeder locally. That day was last week! I now know how much of a headache I’m in for...

He is incredibly nippy and I really can’t get a handle on it. I am 100% on the side of gentle correction, but I’m not sure how much more my exposed skin and clothes can take. This little guy just attacks ankles when I’m walking, hands when he’s in ‘the zone’. I have redirected to toys, soft voice “no” and “yes” when he stops, held his collar until he stops trying to mouth followed by a calm “yes”, sharp “no!”, yelp/ignore...pretty much all of it. None of it really works. I’ve gotten him a variety of bones and chew toys, ropes, squeaky toys...anything to stop being bit. To no avail.

I was at my wits end and tried the gums under the teeth thing I saw recommenced here, he just cries softly, I release because I don’t want to hurt him and then he lunges again.

The next part is of more concern...I was running late, got dressed and land shark decides to make me almost trip over him as he attacks my work pants....fed up I pushed him off (not hard) and he sort of play bows and low growls....I was semi squatted at this point and just kind of stayed still and he wasn’t sure what to make of it and barked and hopped back and forth. Is this aggression or is it him just being rowdy?

Beyond that, what can I do? I don’t want to keep being his chew toy and I certainly don’t want to damage our relationship through uncomfortable correction.

I’m only a week in, but I have a daily moment wondering what I just did to myself....

·
Registered
176 Posts
He is just young and feisty. Keep doing what you are doing and he will catch on. Use the crate when you need a break and when you are hurrying around.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Well, patience is a virtue. I guess he is around 8 weeks old if you just got him? I pretty much save anything aversive until the puppy is at least 4 / 5 months. How is your hand more exciting than a toy? To make the toy more exciting you sometimes need to show him (playing a bit of tug / moving the toy around to excite him to it). It's going to be at least 2-3 months of constant repetition without getting frustrated about it. Think 1 year old baby constantly throwing things on the floor, grabbing things they shouldn't, etc. There's no point getting upset about it, yet.

What is your daily routine look like (detail is helpful here)? If you are getting dressed, he should be in his crate. If he is biting you to the extent that it is causing you to become upset and frustrated, he should be in his crate. He needs a routine from day 1, he needs regular interaction, non-stop potty breaks, and a whole lot of sleep (in his crate).

·
Registered
171 Posts
You may have to get a bit more rough. And I know that the kennel is NOT supposed to be punishment, but if he is to wild you may have to put him in there. Usually I’m on gentle correction also but if he’s that bad you have got to get rough.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Once in my training class, an older couple was there with a rowdy Mal-igator pup. The man had constructed arm and hand guards out of several dowel rods covered in many layers of duck tape because he was tired of those dad-gum teeth. That dude could probably sell those things on Etsy. Cajun ingenuity!

The worst with pups is when they get "that look" -- you can see the "devil dog" face come out, and you know you're in for it. ?

It's not aggression...it's just how they roll as puppies. They're all crazy. Just do the best you can redirecting and starting the foundation for OB training. ?‍♀ You will likely want to teach it "no" and "leave it," and some games that are more fun with a toy than chewing on you. A lot of us lose shoes, have table corners gnawed on, get holes in pants, etc. during this process -- somewhere along the line spouses tend to say something like "...and this is why we can't have nice things."

Somewhere between year 2 and 3, you may look at the big, full-grown, well-behaved dog you have and perhaps wonder who stole the devil dog that used to live with you and replaced it with this wonderful creature.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Maybe it is a copout... I have pup play 'find it' whenever I have to do something like putting on shoes or socks.

For 'find it' I just toss a handful of kibble across the room and have pup spend the next 5 minutes looking under every table and chair to make sure he got it all.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Beyond that, what can I do? I don’t want to keep being his chew toy and I certainly don’t want to damage our relationship through uncomfortable correction.

I’m only a week in, but I have a daily moment wondering what I just did to myself....
This is a little baby puppy! They don't act aggressive, they don't understand our language, it's on you to show him these things!

1 week in, you can't damage your relationship cause you don't really have one yet. If the puppy is doing something you don't like you either contain him where he can't get himself into trouble, or you stop him from doing it...it's really that simple!

By definition a "correction" IS uncomfortable, or it's ineffective. The puppy can learn to stop biting you, maybe not entirely and certainly not overnight, but if you're calm, firm and consistent he'll get it...provided you're giving him ample outlets for his biting and playful puppy energy!

I gave my puppy plastic milk jugs and soda bottles to chew on and play with. Just be sure to cut the little plastic ring that stays on them when you open them. And then throw them in the recycling when they start getting frayed.

Another thing you can do is tie an old t-shirt to a cord and let the puppy chase and attack that instead of you. It's fun for you both!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, patience is a virtue. I guess he is around 8 weeks old if you just got him? I pretty much save anything aversive until the puppy is at least 4 / 5 months. How is your hand more exciting than a toy? To make the toy more exciting you sometimes need to show him (playing a bit of tug / moving the toy around to excite him to it). It's going to be at least 2-3 months of constant repetition without getting frustrated about it. Think 1 year old baby constantly throwing things on the floor, grabbing things they shouldn't, etc. There's no point getting upset about it, yet.

What is your daily routine look like (detail is helpful here)? If you are getting dressed, he should be in his crate. If he is biting you to the extent that it is causing you to become upset and frustrated, he should be in his crate. He needs a routine from day 1, he needs regular interaction, non-stop potty breaks, and a whole lot of sleep (in his crate).
He is 9 weeks today. I wish I knew why my hand, pants, shoes, etc are more enticing when I have toys littered all over the place for him.

Schedule:

6am- wake up, potty
6:05-6:10 - basic engagement training
6:10 - breakfast in crate
6:15-6:30 ( or until he loses interest) - play (tug, ball, etc)
6:30 - potty
6:45 - 9:45 - crate
9:45 - potty
9:45 -10:15 - play/whatever
10:15-1:15 - crate
1:15 - potty then lunch
1:20 - play/more basic training
1:30-?? (mix in potty breaks every hour or so here) - i usually let him hang around if he's being civil or take him out wherever I have to go.
5:00 - dinner then play/hang around
5:30 - bed time is potty/hang around with the family

This is pretty typical so far, I adjust based on his mood and what I have to do on that day.

Once in my training class, an older couple was there with a rowdy Mal-igator pup. The man had constructed arm and hand guards out of several dowel rods covered in many layers of duck tape because he was tired of those dad-gum teeth. That dude could probably sell those things on Etsy. Cajun ingenuity!

The worst with pups is when they get "that look" -- you can see the "devil dog" face come out, and you know you're in for it. ?

It's not aggression...it's just how they roll as puppies. They're all crazy. Just do the best you can redirecting and starting the foundation for OB training. ?‍♀ You will likely want to teach it "no" and "leave it," and some games that are more fun with a toy than chewing on you. A lot of us lose shoes, have table corners gnawed on, get holes in pants, etc. during this process -- somewhere along the line spouses tend to say something like "...and this is why we can't have nice things."

Somewhere between year 2 and 3, you may look at the big, full-grown, well-behaved dog you have and perhaps wonder who stole the devil dog that used to live with you and replaced it with this wonderful creature.
Hes absolutely adorable, but I don't think I'll ever say "I sure do wish he had those puppy teeth again". :ROFLMAO:

What I have been using is just 'time out'. I will say "no" and redirect 3 times, and if he doesn't get it, or his mouthing becomes excessive its time out. Time out is not negative and I use a happy voice for "time out" and "good house" when he's inside it.

I feel bad because he is growing and getting more energetic/mouthy and it seems he is destined for many more time outs. His time outs last about 10 minutes and he gets another chance.

Mix in a 6 year old who runs and yells when he mouths at her...it won't be long before all my hair is grey and gone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts