German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a little bit ago, i called Shasta to come since i hadnt seen her in a little bit and normally she's sitting at the backdoor trying to convince us to let her outside to go play in the mud or go potty or she's chewing on a bone. Well when she didn't come when she was called, i started looking around the house for her. Didn't find her downstairs. Headed upstairs. My 3 year old daughters room is currently the only room open and its baby gated. My son wont go to sleep without total darkness in his room right now so his door is closed (with a small nightlight plugged in under his bed). Well Shasta, my 6 month old pup, had shimmied her way over the baby gate and was curled up on the floor next to my daughter's bed waiting for us to come up. Checked on my daughter who was wide awake with this grin on her face just petting Shasta. Naturally she asked if her kitty was going to stay in her room and THEN she asked if Shasta could stay too.

Turns out my obnoxious lil pup does have a sweet side. I have no doubt in my mind if we were able to get my son to sleep and be able to leave his door open with the baby gate up, she would have shimmied her way over to check on him as well. Is this a glimpse of how she'll be as an adult, running around checking on everyone at bedtime? Who woulda thought a 6 month old pup would do that? I sure wouldnt have guessed it would happen in my house. Wish i'd had my camera for a picture.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
How sweet, Blitz walks my girls up to bed every night and then stays at the foot of my 5 year olds bed with her until she falls asleep. Sometimes it takes her 10 minutes, sometimes an hour but Blitz won't come back down to me (she's my shadow every other minute of the day) until Brooke is asleep. She has been doing this since 3 months old. Funny thing is, she only does it with my 5 year old and not my 3 year old even though their rooms are right next to each other.... My 3 year old is fearless, my 5 year old is a bit scared of the dark sometimes, it's as if she knows!

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
It's probably a sign, yes.

I remember when I was little I had a pitbull mix (who is actually still alive) that slept right outside my bedroom door because my door was always closed. If I got up at night to go to the bathroom (and didn't step on him or trip on him first) he'd get up and follow me to the bathroom, follow be back, then sleep at the door again. He HAD to know where I was going and that I was back in my bedroom or he'd start whining and pacing. I loved that dog. <3

Sorry for the tangent. I wish you could have gotten a picture of Shasta though, sounds adorable!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How sweet, Blitz walks my girls up to bed every night and then stays at the foot of my 5 year olds bed with her until she falls asleep. Sometimes it takes her 10 minutes, sometimes an hour but Blitz won't come back down to me (she's my shadow every other minute of the day) until Brooke is asleep. She has been doing this since 3 months old. Funny thing is, she only does it with my 5 year old and not my 3 year old even though their rooms are right next to each other.... My 3 year old is fearless, my 5 year old is a bit scared of the dark sometimes, it's as if she knows!

Thats probably got something to do with it. My daughter is afraid of the dark. She will freak out to the point she's hysterical. My son wont go to sleep unless his door is closed and no one, even the animals are in there. Usually our cat Titan spends his nights in in my daughter's room. I was so surprised to find Shasta in there lol.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's probably a sign, yes.

I remember when I was little I had a pitbull mix (who is actually still alive) that slept right outside my bedroom door because my door was always closed. If I got up at night to go to the bathroom (and didn't step on him or trip on him first) he'd get up and follow me to the bathroom, follow be back, then sleep at the door again. He HAD to know where I was going and that I was back in my bedroom or he'd start whining and pacing. I loved that dog. <3

Sorry for the tangent. I wish you could have gotten a picture of Shasta though, sounds adorable!

i really should just learn to carry my camera on me at all times lol. Shasta doesnt usually try to pass the gates unless she REALLY wants to be with you so it was definitely interesting. Normally she'll just be on the other side pacing and barking.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
That's so sweet!

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
That's a cute story! Mine is 7 months and always makes his rounds to check on us when we are scattered throughout the house. He's at peace when we are together in one room. Hey it's tough being a GSD and keeping an eye on everything! lol

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's a cute story! Mine is 7 months and always makes his rounds to check on us when we are scattered throughout the house. He's at peace when we are together in one room. Hey it's tough being a GSD and keeping an eye on everything! lol

you ain't kiddin!!!! Shasta acts so exhausted chasing everyone from room to room at the end of the day she just collapses. lol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts