German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Ailyn,
I'm new on this forum, but not new to GSD's - have had them for over 20 years. At this point in your girl's life, I'd say she's probably never going to be a confident, outgoing girl. But there are some things you can do to help with her nervousness.

1) Find her a doggie pal that IS confident and outgoing. Sometimes, if they spend enough time together, the shy dog learns and takes cues from the more outgoing dog.

2) Do lots of independence training, like learning "stay", or a "go out". This helps with teaching them that, even if you are a ways away, they are safe.

3) Agility exercises really do wonders to build confidence.

4) Make sure that EVERY interaction she has with a stranger is a wonderful one. And start slowly, at a level she IS confortable with.

5) Be patient with her. It's hard not to get frustrated when working with nervous dogs, but, believe me, they sense it. The calmer you are, the better your result will be. Practice things like deep breathing. The dogs DO notice that.

Hope you see some improvement with these suggestions. Hang inthere, and keep us updated on how she does.

Sincerely,
Mary Anne

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.