German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i was reading about mange online, and my GSD was treated a few years ago for some skin problem. But since that problem her front elbows stayed with no hair and with that crusty skin. Also a little bit on her belly but and by her tail. She really does not scratch at all, just very few times, But shes always had her elbows like that and her belly since that skin problem way back. Could this be that skin problem that really never went away or this is just from the hot climate here in Miami? Or maybe her diet?? Please help!!

·
Super Moderator
7,340 Posts
are you saying these areas werent like this prior to her skin condition?

the elbows just sound like calluses from laying on rough surfaces, but i'm not sure about the belly button and butt...

photos would help.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally Posted By: Camerafodderare you saying these areas werent like this prior to her skin condition?

the elbows just sound like calluses from laying on rough surfaces, but i'm not sure about the belly button and butt...

photos would help.
no they were not like this, but her skin problem was like i would say two years ago. Her elbows have stayed like that since then. I figured the same thing, just laying on rough surface like my backyard and maybe the really really hot Miami weather. Can her diet affect her skin too?

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
Absolutely this could be due to diet. She could have allergies...thus the never clearing up. We've had dogs come into rescue with horrible skin...and it was all diet related.

I would think if it were mange...it would have progressed past this point over the years........

do you have pics?
What do you feed her?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally Posted By: myamomAbsolutely this could be due to diet. She could have allergies...thus the never clearing up. We've had dogs come into rescue with horrible skin...and it was all diet related.

I would think if it were mange...it would have progressed past this point over the years........

do you have pics?
What do you feed her?
Well i usually buy her food at walmart :/... Dry food its usually pedigree, purina or Ol Roy's (don't know how to spell it) and Ol Roy's canned meat. I will be switching to Royal cannin GSD formula dry food.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
if it were mange it would have spread and it would be very itchy. The elbow is a callous. Have you had her thyroid checked? That could cause that.

And the food you're feeding is the absolute worst out there. Good idea to switch!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally Posted By: BowWowMeowif it were mange it would have spread and it would be very itchy. The elbow is a callous. Have you had her thyroid checked? That could cause that.

And the food you're feeding is the absolute worst out there. Good idea to switch!
thanks for your reply. Yes i will definitely switch. Can you please recommend a good brand or just simple state the must have ingredients it should have or don't have. And if that dry spot on her belly is not mange, than what could it be? Sorry for all the questioning.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Rafi has mange right now. His skin is black and if I don't treat it right away it gets scabby too. It progresses very quickly into a bald patch.

It could be a lot of things including allergies to the food or a flea or environmental allergy. But the description made me think of descriptions of skin problems because the thyroid isn't functioning properly.

We could suggest lots of good foods for you but a lot of it depends on what kind of stores you have nearby. Do you have any smaller stores that carry the higher quality brands?

This website, while not perfect, does teach you how to read labels.

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=betterproducts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally Posted By: BowWowMeowRafi has mange right now. His skin is black and if I don't treat it right away it gets scabby too. It progresses very quickly into a bald patch.

It could be a lot of things including allergies to the food or a flea or environmental allergy. But the description made me think of descriptions of skin problems because the thyroid isn't functioning properly.

We could suggest lots of good foods for you but a lot of it depends on what kind of stores you have nearby. Do you have any smaller stores that carry the higher quality brands?

This website, while not perfect, does teach you how to read labels.

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=betterproducts
sorry to hear that rafi has mange. Hope he gets better. As per the food i have the big stores like petsmart and petco which are extremely expensive. I also have one called pet supermarket which is kind of expensive too. But oh well anything for my baby girl. I will try to research for any small stores around my area. Do you think it could be from laying on the concrete with all the Miami hot humid weather+bad quality food?

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
She is on bad quality food. I would first change the food. We just had a GSD come into rescue that had skin just like that...and it cleared right up once we got him on a good food.

After changing food...if no change was noted...I would start looking at other factors...other allergies, thyroid, lastly mange (although I really think you would have seen a fast progression...and highly doubt it)

Rule of thumb...easy...if you can buy it in a dept. store or grocery store...don't.

You've got to remember...you may be paying more for a good quality food...BUT...you will be feeding less (lots less fillers thus the reduced amount of food you have to feed)...and look how much you will be saving on vet bills. DEFINITELY worth it.

Study the link posted above...learn what to look for on a label.

I'm sure some of the very knowledgeable people can suggest a good food for allergies.....I'm thinking I would go for a fish/sweet potatoe..........

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally Posted By: myamomShe is on bad quality food. I would first change the food. We just had a GSD come into rescue that had skin just like that...and it cleared right up once we got him on a good food.

After changing food...if no change was noted...I would start looking at other factors...other allergies, thyroid, lastly mange (although I really think you would have seen a fast progression...and highly doubt it)

Rule of thumb...easy...if you can buy it in a dept. store or grocery store...don't.

You've got to remember...you may be paying more for a good quality food...BUT...you will be feeding less (lots less fillers thus the reduced amount of food you have to feed)...and look how much you will be saving on vet bills. DEFINITELY worth it.

Study the link posted above...learn what to look for on a label.

I'm sure some of the very knowledgeable people can suggest a good food for allergies.....I'm thinking I would go for a fish/sweet potatoe..........
Thank you for you reply, ive started a thread on nutrition bout that. To see any recomendations for good quality foods. Thanks for your time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts