German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 5 1/2 month GSD that has always been really friendly and generally a great dog. Lately when we go downstairs for his last pee before bed he has started growling when people approach. Also when my boyfriend and I take him on a walk he gets extremely upset if I walk away but is clam if my boyfriend walks away.
He has never acted like this before and I'm worried this could develope into a problem as he gets older

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Good for you for addressing this immediately. It is NOT from protection and anytime you see behavior you don't want it needs to be worked on ASAP.

I'd be way upping the treats/fun/petting and socialization during the day. He meeting and getting pet by everyone? Are things like this a NORMAL part of your pup's life?

And when you see people outdoors, you need to act happy to see them like it's your BEST FRIEND EVER coming up! Don't stress and drag your dog in, or reassure them.

I'd even just turn around and HAPPILY and joyfully walk in the opposite direction BEFORE the growling if you are better able to then praise him while he's still ok.

But really, I'd more work on tons of daytime socialization and classes at this point to work on his general confidence and knowledge that the world is a Happy Place and everyone is lovely.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
They do go through phases in their development, but like MRL says, you have to address undesirable behavior right away

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
He's great during the day and Ive been exposing him to as much as I can. He only has a problem at night if someone approaches me or I walk away from him, he acts totally normal and frinedly if my boyfriend walks him at night. I guess I just want to know why he has such an attitude change as well as knowing how to fix it

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Possibly some separation anxiety when you walk away.... wanting to keep his pack together. Maybe your boyfriend is more calm when he walks him?? If my wife and I walk the dog and one of us walks away our dog gets very anxious but gets over it in a few minutes as her attention is turned to other things and/or she realizes she can't change the situation. I am more calm than my wife and the dog responds to that by being more calm. But if I start acting nutty, she will too, she kind of adopts the mood we set.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts