German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 7 year old female called Tanja has some problems.

Uncontrolable scratching of belly and under chin ( keeps rubbing it on the carpet ),
Skin on belly has turned dark with dark pink on outer areas,
Loss of hair all over belly, armpits and dry skin on elbows of front legs,
Nipples seem to be larger than normal, although they are usually covered by hair so not sure,
Constant licking of front paws.

She is on Hypoallergenic dry food mixed with 200gms of Hills Science Plan tinned food but no change. My neighbour said it could be seasonal or central heating ( which i've now switched off ) or i could be the heat built up from her body laying on carpet.
Is there a limit to how high the central heating should be before it's too warm for the dog?

Another friend suggested it could be stress related or anxiety, what symptoms should i be looking out for?

Thanks for your time
Sue

·
Registered
27,271 Posts
I would get her tested for allergies and a thyroid panel run. All those symptoms point to allergies. I would do a home cooked or raw elimination diet. Humidity in the home is important if you are running a furnace. Dry air can cause itchy skin, but the extreme of Tanja's behavior is probably related to allergies(I would guess environment-dust mites, etc) because you already have her on a limited ingredient diet.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
She is seven and these are brand new symptoms? What has changed in her environment? I agree you should take her in for tests--as Jane said. Also, with enlarged nipples (if not caused simply by irritation from scratching) I would wonder about a hormonal issue as well.
Hope everything turns out okay for her!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help,

I have turned the heating off in the house now so it shouldn't get too warm now, and i have noticed the scratching has calmed down. Her skin is slightly pinker which is giving me a little hope.

Its true her hormones could be affected as situations have changed a few times recently and i just hope things will settle down soon. Is there anything i could give her to make her hormones more comfortable? Vitamins or treatments?

Thanks again
Sue

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just an update

Hi there,

Since turning off the heating Tanja has calmed down on the scratching side of things but i have noticed that her skin seems to be pinky/grey during the day ( looks better ) but after falling asleep on the carpet for a few hours her skin turns darker and ive noticed some sweat on her legs.

She then starts dragging her belly on the carpet as if to scratch.

I'm wondering if its the carpets, she was always used to a laminate floor and rugs here and there. I suppose she could be over heating during her sleep.

Can anyone recomend a really good shampoo or spray (possibly from a supermarket) that would relieve her scratching while we keep her off the carpet as a test?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts