German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, the older Leyna gets, the more tan she is getting on her body. She was completely black when I got her. Tell me what you think from some of the pics of her tan coloration.

She has tan "tarheels". They go up the back of both front legs starting at the back of the paw to her elbow.

She also has tan starting on her back legs.

She also has tan between all of her toes, front and back.

I am just wondering because I know GSD pups can change so much. Is it just possible for her to be a very dark bi?

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Personally I think you have a very black dog with a little tan but not BICOLOR. HOW OLD IS SHE?

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. :)

She is a very dark black everywhere else. She also has very dark eyes to go with it. I will get some stacked pics this weekend of her.

I was just curious though because she just started getting the tan a few weeks ago. I didn't know if it may be because it's winter or if it's because she now actually has her adult fur or what. She will be 7 months on the 16th.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She has started to get a little tan around the anus as well as the inner portion of her thighs. I just didn't want to post pics of the areas. lol Trying to give my baby a little modesty. :)

·
5,627 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
I thought Brody was a bi color as well...turns out everyone thinks hes a melanistic black and tan...I agree after looking at pictures! There coats change so much while they are a puppy so its hard to tell sometimes!

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
She is officially listed and registered as a black. And she was....until a few weeks ago. :) I don't know if it may be because she now has her adult coat...or if it is from the winter coat..or if she is just showing tan and will keep it.

More because I am curious than anything else. :)

·
Registered
27,239 Posts
I would also say she is a black with bleed thru. Are there any Bi's in her pedigree? If not then black would be her color for certain.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My opinion FWIW....she's a black GSD.
Your opinion is worth something ;).

She is my brat either way so her color doesn't really matter much either way. :wub:

I was just looking at her this morning and noticed it was getting more pronounced so I thought I would ask. :)

·
Registered
27,239 Posts
Looking at those pedigree pics, there is one that could be a bi-color-Fatyma(she was kinda fatty looking!;), though the face has tan and the legs aren't real pigmented, I'd almost say b&t.
I would think she is a black anyway as she is just starting to show color. From what little I know Bi's have a bit of color at birth.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looking at those pedigree pics, there is one that could be a bi-color, though the face has tan and the legs aren't real pigmented, I'd almost say b&t.
I would think she is a black anyway as she is just starting to show color. From what little I know Bi's have a bit of color at birth.
I was thinking that too about bi's, but I don't really have a full understanding of the colorations yet. I am trying to figure it out.

She does have line breeding on Held vom Ritterberg who looks to be a bi:
V Held vom Ritterberg - German shepherd dog

and Bero, who is a bi:
Bero vom Friedersdorfer Flur - German shepherd dog

Fatyma z PS looks like a bi too:
Fatyma z PS - German shepherd dog

However, I don't know lol. This coloration stuff is confusing!

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looking at those pedigree pics, there is one that could be a bi-color-Fatyma(she was kinda fatty looking!;), though the face has tan and the legs aren't real pigmented, I'd almost say b&t.

Maybe that's why her name is Fatyma lol.

She looks prego in the pic though.

·
Registered
27,239 Posts
I thought so too, or just had a litter...her name fit whatever the case!

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
Black with bleed through. Tan markings on the feet and legs sometimes develop on solid blacks as they grow. Doesn't make them a bi-color. Though the way to know for certain is as simple as checking the anal vent. On bi-colors that area will be tan. On a solid black it will be black.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey Chris! I was hoping you would jump in. I was reading the other post with your dogs and bleed through.

I will see if I can get Leyna to stay still enough to get a booty pic. :)

·
Super Moderator
18,686 Posts
Held actually was not a BI. Just a very well blanketed b/t. I can't see Bero well enough, but he is listed as just a b/t. I think Fatyma is a BI, but my settings make the photo not as clear as I would like (more speed, but not good photo quality) and she is not in my database.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts