German Shepherds Forum banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
6,234 Posts
I am 5'8" in bare feet. Lol. I am no one's idea of petite.
I used a halti on my Dane, who at that point weighed just 20 lbs less then me. I liked it. But she was trained without it, and it was security not necessity.
I used one on Sabs, but only as a cue that she was not to work.
I used it on Bud and liked it. But he was unlikely to dart, it was not his style. And the flimsy look of it made me twitchy.
I have used a halti on various fosters and found it useful on some.
Shadow is prone to hysterics. Leaping, lunging, somersaults, running backwards and general shenanigans. It seemed risky and to be fair she slipped it twice. She also wiggled both front legs out of an easy walk harness though, so she may be part snake.
For some dogs and some owners a halti is a great tool.
OP should try it. They are inexpensive and it may work.

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
I am 5'8" in bare feet. Lol. I am no one's idea of petite.
I used a halti on my Dane, who at that point weighed just 20 lbs less then me. I liked it. But she was trained without it, and it was security not necessity.
I used one on Sabs, but only as a cue that she was not to work.
I used it on Bud and liked it. But he was unlikely to dart, it was not his style. And the flimsy look of it made me twitchy.
I have used a halti on various fosters and found it useful on some.
Shadow is prone to hysterics. Leaping, lunging, somersaults, running backwards and general shenanigans. It seemed risky and to be fair she slipped it twice. She also wiggled both front legs out of an easy walk harness though, so she may be part snake.
For some dogs and some owners a halti is a great tool.
OP should try it. They are inexpensive and it may work.
I always used a dominant dog collar or flat collar for backup.

·
Registered
23 Posts
A GSD was dumped in my neighborhood. Her ears are raw, and she's skinny, no microchip. It appears she may have had pups, however, she seems young. I've had her for 5 days. She's incredibly dog reactive and potentially dangerous. She's okay on the leash. She seems incredibly bonded to me already but I've been frustrated by her behavior and could use some tips while I get a dog trainer and more information from a vet.

- I take her out for 30 minutes every 2 hours, (we went on two 2 mile hikes this week) she doesn't always eliminate on those 30-minute walks. I've had to clean up 3 accidents in just 5 days. I praise her with affection when she eliminates, should I be doing more?

- How can I counter-condition her reactions to other dogs? She loses it.

- I have a hard time getting her to calm down, and not be a nuisance (nipping at me, dragging my clothing, etc.)

- Any thoughts on how old she is based on photos, does she look like a mix?

I could really use some advice on the above. I'm worried if I'm not equipped to help this girl, I'm ready to do whatever I need to, or if this all normal.

View attachment 561209 View attachment 561210 View attachment 561211 View attachment 561212

·
Registered
7 Posts
A GSD was dumped in my neighborhood. Her ears are raw, and she's skinny, no microchip. It appears she may have had pups, however, she seems young. I've had her for 5 days. She's incredibly dog reactive and potentially dangerous. She's okay on the leash. She seems incredibly bonded to me already but I've been frustrated by her behavior and could use some tips while I get a dog trainer and more information from a vet.

- I take her out for 30 minutes every 2 hours, (we went on two 2 mile hikes this week) she doesn't always eliminate on those 30-minute walks. I've had to clean up 3 accidents in just 5 days. I praise her with affection when she eliminates, should I be doing more?

- I have a hard time getting her to calm down, and not be a nuisance (nipping at me, dragging my clothing, etc.)

I could really use some advice on the above. I'm worried if I'm not equipped to help this girl, I'm ready to do whatever I need to, or if this all normal.

View attachment 561209 View attachment 561210 View attachment 561211 View attachment 561212
I would really look to see if someone is missing her. I don’t know what makes you think she has pups but if you think so check where you found her. A vet will know. She looks young, from what I can see in the pictures her teeth look white, gums look good. She looks about 2 years old, but a vet will tell you. She looks sweet , and dog aggression is normal if she wasn’t socialized as a pup and regularly. Also the fact that she is a female, they are like that. Unfortunately, these dogs get set in there ways , not saying it’s not possible to overcome, but it will take diligence and consistency without a doubt. I’m glad you found her and willing to work with her but I would try to find if someone is legitimately missing her. I have two of these beauties! They are the best!

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
I tried to use a Halti on a dog-aggressive dog. She destroyed it within about 30 seconds...
Went back to the prong collar after that.

She also destroyed a very sturdy wire cage muzzle by putting both paws under the cage, and ripping the leather straps in two.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Looks like akc purebreed. Around 2yrs old my guess.. This is my little girl ( looks alike ) she is 2 and very loyal has to be everywhere i am..I used crate at first till she was fully potty train...She has issues with other people and dogs only because she isnt exposed much .. Try in introtuce slowly to as much as you can....She is Beautiful

61 - 68 of 68 Posts