German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a call from a friend who has a young, but trained golden retriever. Socialized, well behaved, not crated, no biting while playing etc etc etc. She asked if we could watch him for a week.

Zeus learned simple tasks by repeating after my husband like down and spin, lol... yes he does learn from watching. Could this dog help us teach Zeus manners? He is also a licker and Zeus is a biter...

We had an older dog correct Zeus from nipping at a kid. The older dog barked and shoved Zeus out of the way, Zeus laid down and let the kid pet him and did not open his mouth again.

The trainer thinks dogs learn well from each other.

What do you guys think? especially people that have multiple dogs. Did your older dog help your puppy learn? I always wonder this, if people have easier time with puppy biting if they have an older dog to teach bite inhibition?

My friend would like us to have a play date first =)

Oh and my husband will be off that week, so the dogs will be supervised all day!

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I would get them together and see how they interact, not all dogs get along with puppies as they're boisterous and don't always have good manners :)

If they seem to get along then having a playmate can be great fun! Delgado LOVES my parent's labradoodle Samson, they love their playdates and hanging out together

·
Registered
710 Posts
The learn the good and the bad. I like how the puppies follow the lead of the older dogs. It's great for potty training!

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am extremely excited about this. =)
Gosh, I so hope that this softy can teach our pup to lick, swim, tug nicely. I have HIGH expectation!!! =)

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Playdate is set =)

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Oh they teach each other stuff all right, how to dig holes, how to climb on the sofa...LOL.

JK, sounds like you're bringing in a good example for your pup to follow. Hope it works out!

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Good dog teaches bad dog

A friend of mine has a Chi that is anti-social (but loves me), barker, runs away, bites, etc. She took in a friend's Border Collie / Australian Shepherd mix. That dog is well mannered and plays well with others. She is also 3x the size of the chi. The chi is taking cues from the Australian Collie. That is a good thing. So when the big dog gets shipped off to its owner in Australian then the chi will be a dog that my friend is happy to own.:laugh:

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
I am extremely excited about this. =)
Gosh, I so hope that this softy can teach our pup to lick, swim, tug nicely. I have HIGH expectation!!! =)
Just don't get your hopes up.

What he is doing has a lot to do with his age and the fact that impulse control is learned over time.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just don't get your hopes up.

What he is doing has a lot to do with his age and the fact that impulse control is learned over time.
but Sunflower, a girl can dream and hope =(
Lol I want to cuddle my puppy! sometimes I just let him take my arm into his mouth and I hug him and kiss him LOL and bleed later.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts