German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My baby started this coughing, dry heaving thing today that's scaring the **** out of me. Would anyone by chance know what this could be?

I haven't contacted the Vet yet, but I'm thinking that I probably should.

Any help I can get is appreciated.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Has she been around other dogs, at a dog park, walking where other dogs frequent? It could be the beginning of kennel cough.
It could be other things too but kennel cough is very contagious and comes on suddenly.

·
Registered
42 Posts
It certainly sounds like kennel cough to me too

I would contact the vet

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Has she been around other dogs, at a dog park, walking where other dogs frequent? It could be the beginning of kennel cough.
It could be other things too but kennel cough is very contagious and comes on suddenly.
Yes, she has. We go to the dog park, just about every day!! Is there some kind of medicine they can give her for it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
go to the Vet or E-Vet.

I called her ver, she said that it could be a simple cold, but that I should watch her and if it get's worse bring her in. She didn't seem to be to concerned. :confused:

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Dogs do not get colds, but this does sound like kennel cough. Kennel cough can be very mild to life threatening depending on the dog so keep a close eye on her. This is caused by a virus so there's nothing you can give her for it except cough suppressant and sometimes antibiotics for secondary infections. Make sure she keeps eating, doesn't develop a fever, stays active, and her breathing stays normal. Any change in her health you should be on the phone to the vet.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
My vet made us get an antibiotic when my lab had KC because it often is bacterial or turns into a secondary infection. However, my vet also explained kennel cough is a dog cold plain and simple and just like our colds can be caused by virus's, bacteria, or even fungal infections:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts